[NL2-NL10] Flopped top set - 3bet pot.

• sp00nman
      sp00nman
      Bronze
      Interesting hand that I just had. How would you play this?

Villain is 14/8/1 with just 40 hands.

Very scary flop. (It was sick how I was thinking villain flopped Royal Flush(lol).) His smallish flop bet made me suspicious though, and I picked this up as an attempt to steal. His Turn bet is bigger, like he doesnt want me to call anymore. I eventually decided that he has AKo so I check called the turn but I wasnt sure what villain thought I had. I shoved the river hoping to have him throw away his AKo, get value from AA/KK/JJ/TT with a flush draw, or say "OMG vnh" if he shows me a royal flush.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $6.10
      MP3:
      $4.73
      CO:
      $6.09
      BU:
      $8.96
      SB (Hero):
      $5.20
      BB:
      $2.09
      UTG2:
      $7.42
      MP1:
      $5.14

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, Q.
      3 folds, MP3 raises to $0.17, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.53, BB folds, MP3 calls $0.36.

Flop: ($1.11) T, J, Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.37, Hero calls $0.37.

Turn: ($1.85) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $1.32, Hero calls $1.32.

River: ($4.49) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.98, MP3 calls $2.51(All-In).
  • 6 replies
    • chocular77
      chocular77
      Bronze
      PF: you could raise a little bit higher (60-65) because you are OOP PostF but 3x OpenRaise is still ok.

F: I would always Cbet this board because its just to dangerous to trap because there are a lot of cards which can still hurt you. But there are also a lot of draws which can pay you off.
      As played i would raise on the Flop because his bet looks weak and let him pay for the draws. If he really had AK here he would bet bigger 4 protection.

T: On the Turn you really should have raised AI bevor a cooler comes, you are committed on the R anyway. If he really is on a flushdraw and the Heart hits your dead, and if it doesn't hit you wouldn't get more money.

R: Your reason to shove the River is the exact opposite of what the Villain would do. He would throw away every draw because the flush didn't hit and call with AKo because he is commited with his made hand. (AA and KK are unlikely because he would 4B PF).

Don't always be scared that the villain has the nuts. You should think of the whole range which is possible when he openraises from MP3. There are a lot of other hands that the Villain could have. AhJc for example could hit every heart and every K to beat you and even 99 just needs an 8.
      Even if you are behind against a flopped flush you still get 33% equity so just play to get the maximum from weaker hands and charge the draws for maximum profit.
    • sp00nman
      sp00nman
      Bronze
      Thanks. I knew I was going broke after I saw the flop. I guess the question that was in the back of my head was "whats the optimal line for this?"

Your advice made perfect sense. Thank you
    • chocular77
      chocular77
      Bronze
      Who wouldn't :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello sp00nman,

Well, it's the worst line you could pick. :( Really. :( Check/Calling the flop is just horrible! My eyes hurt. :D Well, but anyways. To the evaluation:
      Bet it for protection and that's it. We don't want any to hop in. Also most likely if I am betting I am also going broke.

Well, don't take the first sentences as insult. But just think yourself about the board a bit and you would come to the same conclusion. ;) Scare boards? So what? We can't put the villain on the only and only nuts.

Best regards.
    • sp00nman
      sp00nman
      Bronze
      Lol Veriz. Haha :f_biggrin:

Not really sure why I took that line. One of my big leaks is that I always think villain has the nuts! But Im trying to be more aggressive now and my win rate has shown a positive result since.

Side question: What is a good WTSD value for FR?

My stats are currently10/7/4 with a WTSD of only 17. :f_confused:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Yours is pretty low. Something between 22-29 or something similar is good. :)