Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.11
      BU:
      $2.06

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.104 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:diamond: , J:spade:
      5 folds, BU raises to $0.06, SB folds, Hero calls $0.04.

Flop: ($0.13) J:heart: , J:diamond: , 7:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.2, BU calls $0.20.

Turn: ($0.53) A:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.3, BU raises to $0.60, Hero ???

Hi veriz,

On the turn against his range (AA,JJ,77,AJs,KJs,AJo,KJo) I have 17% of equity. And I need 17% to call. So it's a close call. However he raise me with ace on the turn, and AJ is definitely are in his range. Against AJ I have no chance of winning, so I'm reluctant to call here. What do you suggest here?

Thanks,
      cpers
  • 3 replies
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey cpers,

on the flop i think you should not overbet the pot here. probably around $0.13.

while AJ is in his range it is important to note that he's BU and therefore will be including many more hands in his range. for instance he could have a flush draw with the A :diamond: and could have turned a big draw.

on the turn i think you can shove here because he could easily hold QJ, TJ as wel as many other Ax hands and 8 :diamond: 9 :diamond: type hands- we cannot just assume he holds a hand that beats you. you say against his range and include hands which either beat you or tie with you (besides JJ which is impossible). TT and QQ are also in his range and you should factor these in.

i think it is likely that he could play Ax like this to "see where he stands". he can easily play draws like this and if you shove you can get value from these worse hands while protecting by giving him incorrect odds to call with them.
    • cpers
      cpers
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      on the flop i think you should not overbet the pot here. probably around $0.13.
      Thanks for the comment.

It's an old hand, I used to protect with overbet :D

Yeah QJ, TJ, KK, QQ are definitely in his range. It's supposed to be a pessimistic range that I put him. But on second thought you're right, I didn't put a range that I beat, I should loosen up his range a little bit.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello cpers,

Well, I don't like the overbet on flop either. Most likely I would even consider him rather letting to CBet the flop himself. And might even just Check/Raise against him. While he seems to be kinda loose opponent. Although the donking line is an option if you consider the opponent not CBetting that much.

As played the turn you can as well ship it, he may easily even have the A for a draw and also worse Jx hands. Don't like that much the Call while we don't want to see any diamond to complete. Also you practically did put the opponent only strong made hands which ain't correct, he definitely has wider range there.

Best regards.