PLO tournament

• abyss616
      abyss616
      Bronze
      hello everyone,

I played PLO 8$ buy in tournament, 6 seat at pokerstars, 200 players. So in tournament was 33 players left, i am on a BB, no raises, just 2 calls. I had 17 BB, so i had 7 7 Q K, flop was 4 5 7(two clubs). So i bet 1/3 from pot, 2 calls,Turn - K(no club), bet 1/3 from pot, two calls, River Q(no club), i bet 1/3 form pot one fold, one raised me all in. What shell i do in this kind of situations?
      1)How often people are raising just because they are sensing weakness?
      2)How often they have slowplayed nuts from the flop?
      3) If i have nuts straight on flop, like 5 6 7, with two clubs on board and two players, what shell i do, slowplay them, or try to win the pot on the flop?
      4)And what strategies are most profitable to play PLO tournaments? Really tight, like play only 10-15% of hands, or play like 70% of hands, and then try to outplay your opponents after the flop?

After all the odds, i should fold hand i described, but i am more interested hearing your experience how people are playing their hands in tournaments.
  • 5 replies
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      I'd go for a checkraise on this flop and just get stacks in. You likely need to win 5 flips to make some real money.

When you lead out you isolate yourself against hands that are flipping or better on the flop (flush draws or straights).

By check raising you win some money off opponents bluffing as well.
    • abyss616
      abyss616
      Bronze
      if you check raise only with top set on my board, you will get called by flush or raised by straight am i right?

Yesterday tried to play again this 6 seat tournament, really tight, saw less then 30% flops. But it just not good enough, it is not possible to build a decent stack maybe in 9 seat it is different. Soon will try averaging 50% seen flops, cuz 30% is too little, but it is not possible pay steady all tournament if you are seeing 70-80% of flops. Maybe someone has any comments about this? Would really appreciate that.
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by abyss616
      if you check raise only with top set on my board, you will get called by flush or raised by straight am i right?
      There isn't a flush showing, but people will call with a flush draw since they are priced in. This is what you want. :f_biggrin:
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      The value in tournaments is usually that people play too much. VPIP 50% is WAY too much for tournaments. As chips lost are more valuable than chips won, you just can't see every flop.

If it is normal tournament, you will have time in the first levels. Just play tight, and play from position. You don't need to flip.

When the stacks get shallower, you need to gamble a bit. Wait for good hands, and then play them. If you have 12bb stack, and you pot preflop, you have about SPR 1 or less on flop. So it's always nicer to commit yourself with some kind of a hand. KKxx is better than QJT9. As you will have at least that KK on flop.

The beauty of plo tournaments is the threat of gambling. If you have bigger stack than other players, you can really put pressure on them. I mean, if you raise preflop they would put big amount of their stacks in preflop. They can't really just call preflop and fold flop if they don't hit the nuts. So with small stack they are usually forced to 3bet you if they want to play their hand. Now as random hand is about 40% against even aces, they don't have much folding equity against big stack.

Like if you have 50bb stack and villain has 10bb stack. You open 3,5bb, he can't just call. If he has aces, he will shove. You have big stack so you can easily pay the 6,5bb to flip. That forces him to have a real hand to 3bet with. If he has kings, he might be afraid to 3bet them. If he has queens, he might fold them pretty often. If he has anything else, he will fold them too often.

That way you can really hammer the smaller stacks with big stack. Especially in bubble. Most of the players are too weak to gamble against you, they just wait for the aces. So you can steal the blinds over and over again, and when someone finds them aces you gamble with 40-50% equity.

In tournaments, people are bluffing WAY less than in cash games. If someone raises you on river, he usually has the nuts.

To make it short: you don't have to play loose in the beginning. Wait for good hands and good spots. When the blinds go up and your stack goes down, you need to try to double up. With 10bb stack you can't really wait for long.
    • abyss616
      abyss616
      Bronze
      well, my strategy is, that i know exactly what i want to do with every hand in PLO, lets say, i play 5 6 7 8(DS), and i want to hit only a straight, and i do not want to hit flush. Although with pockets, i want to hit a set, and so on. With every hand i am trying to get a clear vision, what my hand will be, if i move all in. And i completely agree, about putting pressure on smaller stack, it is great strategy. But i cannot use this strategy if i play really tight, in best case scenario i will be a middle stack. My thoughts are, to become a big stack, you must play loose in beginning. With loose, i dont mean to move all in after flop or turn, with just q high flush, with that i mean, try to see as many flops as possible, as cheap as possible, and try your opponent to outplay on turn, or the river.

And offtopic question, someone has any great articles about self control in tournaments? Because my biggest problem is self control. When we are only 5 places form money, i have lets say 50 BB. And i floped top set with low flushdraw. I move all in against player with 40 bb, and he hits his A high flush draw, not very pleasant situation, but shit happens :) . And is there any good article, which can help me, to pull myself together? I know, that mainly no article can help me, if i do not want to learn really hard, but i want, and maybe someone has any advice, what he is doing in this kind of situations, or maybe some kind of article helped him.