This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] great read or a stupid play? AQ against LAG

• ferotaraba
      ferotaraba
      Bronze
      it was either a retarded play, or a brilliant one :D

but i guess the read was good after all.... :)

what u think? was it a good calldown or a calling station's stupid play?

if it was against any other opponent i would certainly fold against that flop min-raise, but villain was a 29/20 loose-aggresive cannon... i've seen him bluff check-
      raise the flop pretty often and had a pretty good read on him.

preflop: i thought he was weak, that limp-limp thing usually means small pair, or a medium ace. maybe a suited connector.

flop:
      he check and i do a standard cbet. now he min-raises. That seems like a pretty weird play, if he had a set, he'd probably just call and check-raised the turn. Now i thought he has a hand like AJ,AT maybe, and is putting me on two higher overcards and tries to bluff me out on the pot. so i just make a really weird call for information to see what he does on the turn. I had a position and still some outs after all.

turn:
      turn comes pretty much a blank, unless he had A3, which i think he had not. i still put him on 2 overcards (weaker than mine) and he bets pretty small (about 45% of the pot), so i thought he got scared by that call of mine on the flop but is still trying to bluff me out. I called, still convinced he has AJ, maybe AT.

river:
      river comes an ace and he bets again (about 40% of the pot - even less than the last time) and now (since i was sure my read was good), i had 2 options, either call, or push (which he might call if he really had that AJ). I decide just to call.

showdown
      he showed AT and i was pleasantly "surprised" my read was good. :)

i guess you will tell me how my play was bad, but thats what i expect. id like to know how you would play that hand differently given that u were convinced he had AJ-type of hand :)

0,05/0,10 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BU with A :club: Q :heart:
      1 folds, MP1 calls $0,10, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0,40, 2 folds, MP1 calls $0,30.

Flop: ($0,95) 5 :club: 2 :diamond: 2 :spade: (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $0,60, MP1 raises to $1,20, Hero calls $0,60

Turn: ($3,35) 4 :club: (2 players)
      MP1 bets $1,59, Hero calls $1,59

River: ($6,53) A :spade: (2 players)
      MP1 bets $2,90, Hero calls $2,90

Final Pot: $12,33

Results follow
      MP1 shows A :heart: T :club: , two pair, Aces and twos, Ten kicker
      Hero shows A :club: Q :heart: , two pair, Aces and twos, Queen kicker

Hero wins
  • 3 replies
    • n3w8i3
      n3w8i3
      Bronze
      something wrong in flop line: "MP1 checks, Hero bets $0,60, MP1 raises to $1,20, Hero calls $0,80"???

hero: 0.60
      mp1: 1.20

hero calls 0.80???

shouldn't it be 0.60?
    • ferotaraba
      ferotaraba
      Bronze
      yes, sorry.... just corrected that...

im not using elephant, so i just copy-paste some other hand, and correct the bet sizes and all that stuff that need to be corrected... :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello ferotaraba,

If he is Check/Raising you a lot then rather just Check it behind and reevaluate it on turn. :) You ain't gonna make better hands to fold nor you ain't gonna achieve much with the CBet while it's very likely that you didn't hit the board. :)

But as played obviously I don't like it. :> Just played like a calling-station yourself. Rather Check behind and reevaluate it on turn.

Best regards.