[NL2-NL10] great read or a stupid play? AQ against LAG

• ferotaraba
      it was either a retarded play, or a brilliant one :D

but i guess the read was good after all.... :)

what u think? was it a good calldown or a calling station's stupid play?

if it was against any other opponent i would certainly fold against that flop min-raise, but villain was a 29/20 loose-aggresive cannon... i've seen him bluff check-
      raise the flop pretty often and had a pretty good read on him.

preflop: i thought he was weak, that limp-limp thing usually means small pair, or a medium ace. maybe a suited connector.

he check and i do a standard cbet. now he min-raises. That seems like a pretty weird play, if he had a set, he'd probably just call and check-raised the turn. Now i thought he has a hand like AJ,AT maybe, and is putting me on two higher overcards and tries to bluff me out on the pot. so i just make a really weird call for information to see what he does on the turn. I had a position and still some outs after all.

turn comes pretty much a blank, unless he had A3, which i think he had not. i still put him on 2 overcards (weaker than mine) and he bets pretty small (about 45% of the pot), so i thought he got scared by that call of mine on the flop but is still trying to bluff me out. I called, still convinced he has AJ, maybe AT.

river comes an ace and he bets again (about 40% of the pot - even less than the last time) and now (since i was sure my read was good), i had 2 options, either call, or push (which he might call if he really had that AJ). I decide just to call.

he showed AT and i was pleasantly "surprised" my read was good. :)

i guess you will tell me how my play was bad, but thats what i expect. id like to know how you would play that hand differently given that u were convinced he had AJ-type of hand :)

0,05/0,10 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BU with A :club: Q :heart:
      1 folds, MP1 calls $0,10, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0,40, 2 folds, MP1 calls $0,30.

Flop: ($0,95) 5 :club: 2 :diamond: 2 :spade: (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $0,60, MP1 raises to $1,20, Hero calls $0,60

Turn: ($3,35) 4 :club: (2 players)
      MP1 bets $1,59, Hero calls $1,59

River: ($6,53) A :spade: (2 players)
      MP1 bets $2,90, Hero calls $2,90

Final Pot: $12,33

Results follow
      MP1 shows A :heart: T :club: , two pair, Aces and twos, Ten kicker
      Hero shows A :club: Q :heart: , two pair, Aces and twos, Queen kicker

Hero wins
  • 3 replies
    • n3w8i3
      something wrong in flop line: "MP1 checks, Hero bets $0,60, MP1 raises to $1,20, Hero calls $0,80"???

hero: 0.60
      mp1: 1.20

hero calls 0.80???

shouldn't it be 0.60?
    • ferotaraba
      yes, sorry.... just corrected that...

im not using elephant, so i just copy-paste some other hand, and correct the bet sizes and all that stuff that need to be corrected... :)
    • veriz
      Hello ferotaraba,

If he is Check/Raising you a lot then rather just Check it behind and reevaluate it on turn. :) You ain't gonna make better hands to fold nor you ain't gonna achieve much with the CBet while it's very likely that you didn't hit the board. :)

But as played obviously I don't like it. :> Just played like a calling-station yourself. Rather Check behind and reevaluate it on turn.

Best regards.