Calling all guitar players

• ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey folks,

A long time ago i used to play guitar i had a beautiful Gibson SG that i treat myself to when i came into some money, before i went into the shop SG was one of the few guitars i really didnt want but when i played it i insta fell in love with it, if you play you know what its like when you find the one :f_love: I used to Jam with my friends a lot and have some fun nothing serious cos i wasnt that good tbh :D

For many reasons my guitar got pushed to the background a bit and i kinda lost interest in playing so i sold it to a good friend who makes much better use of it than me.

Anyway the point... I wanna get back into playing but i wanna get into playing acoustic guitars which i never knew anything about i still have my very first acoustic that i got at like 14 yrs old its an encore and it sounds horrible the strings are soooo high off the fret board my fingers trip over them when changing chords (is this normal for acoustic guitars? like i say i never really played before)

So im looking for a new one i dont have a very high budget atm what kinda price range am i looking at for a good (as possible) quality, beautiful sounding acoustic? A friend recommended tanglewoods to me he said they are decent priced and not bad sounding anyone have personal experience?

Please let me know what you recomend, cheers

Carl
  • 7 replies
    • Cardbender
      Cardbender
      Bronze
      There are many nice guitars. If I were you I would look to get a second hand guitar usually it shaves off 200-400$ off the initial purchase price. For 400$ you can find a wicked second hand acoustic guitar. But try and bring a friend who knows guitars to look at them with you so you don't buy a guitar that buzzes or has structural problems.

test every fret to see if you hear buzzing noise. I am sure there are tutorials on youtube or something that helps people get guitars.

This will be my next brand of guitar prices range from 1000$-5000$

http://www.larrivee.com/

I had a very nice Larrivee untill some retard drove into my lane last year and hit me head on going 80km/hr. My guitar did not survive...

Guitars like Larrivee need to be at 30% humidity or they dry out and can get damaged. So you may need to use a humidifier etc.

Best of luck on your search!

• darkprice
      darkprice
      Bronze
      I have this one:

Fender CD-60, it's like $150. But I got it for ~$85 :f_cool:

It serves its purpose well
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Thanks guys keep the suggestions coming anyone else if you have them.

Jeez cardbender, well at least you survived :f_love:

My friend had a 1965 Fender Jazz bass worth about £3500 when we had a flood and it destroyed it as well as his ridiculously priced amp head luckily he was insured for both, anyway thanks for the advice
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Ovations are awesome as acoustics. Nice full sound and balance between all the strings. It also looks pretty cool :D and I find it's got a comfortable neck.
    • BorinJamie1million1
      BorinJamie1million1
      Bronze
      Hiya,

Yeah Acoustics are generally a lot more tough on the fingers than electrics, as in a high(ish) action and tight string tension. Tanglewoods are great value for money, there's a pretty big range of them too, so I would agree with your friend's recommendation.

Brands to check out on a budget: Epiphone, Squire, Tanglewood, Takamine, Yamaha, Ibanez.

As darkprice shows, you can pick up a sweet bargain from the Fender/Squire range.

It kinda depends on what sort of stuff you want to play too. For rock strumming then a Jumbo style body (kinda rounded shape) is the most commonly used. For band use, like playing rhythm and lead then a Dreadnought body style. Finally there is Concert and Auditorium types which have slimmer necks and smaller bodies, they are generally used for finger picking styles.

It's just an issue of finding one that 'fits' you both cost wise and musically.

Personally, I wouldn't get one over the web, there's nothing wrong with the sites or anything, but you just get a much better vibe for something in person. Plus, as Cardbender says, fretbuzz can be detected and you can see if there are any big dings or dents in it, (this can work out to be a positive, coz ya can get them to knock a fair whack off the price.)

Price wise, for a good quality guitar that will improve with age, the min is generally £250(ish). Max, well the sky's the limit :D

Sorry for the super long post, but if it helps at all, then it was worth it :)

GL finding your next squeeze!
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      The more info the better so bring on the long posts imo :f_love:

Yeah i was gonna physically go shopping for the guitar anyway wouldnt buy over the net i just dont wanna be a complete fish when i go in the shop i wanna have half an idea when i go into the shop :)
    • ilrasso
      ilrasso
      Bronze
      In the past 10 or so years musical intruments have skyrocketed in quality in the low - mid price range. 90% automated guitar building is much better than the sweat shop quality low range junk we got in 80s and 90s.

The price on brand guitars vary a lot from country to country i think, but the cheapest martin model was 1k$us retail in copenhagen. 10 years ago it wouldave been 3k$ easy.

For me musical instruments have specific requirements. I have different guitars that are all playable and replaceable. I like to be able to take them to the street and let strangers play them, drunk friends and myself on a skateboard...

For this reason I prefer cheap playable guitars that can stand a beating. Others might prefer crisp sound or smooth action over cheapness and robustness (word?). Think out for yourself what kind of guitar you want in these terms before you buy.

Easyness to play

sound quality

sound quantity

pick up system or not

Size - some like a smaller one for easier transport - bigger ones generally have more volume

Looks - i dont care here, but you might

Cut-away - Good for shredding :D - bad for volume

Balance and ergonomics - depending on ur favorite playing pose some models might suit you particularly well or ill.

If you consider buying a used guitar think of these points.

As i mentioned cheap martin guitar 20 years old 3k$ at the time of initial purchase. Brand new cheap martin 1k$. Some might argue the old is better some might argue the new one is better, but the old one used at ½ price is still 500$ more than the new option. This is using pretty rough numbers, but the dynamic applies. Many mid range guitars that are 10-15 years old are worse than the cheap ones of today.

I hope this will help, feel free to ask if u need more info on guitar playing.