Attention students!

• 27 replies
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      250 pages is readable, this method got me through an engineering degree and I think it's basically fool-proof. Follow this step by step method and you should be fine.

1: Open book
      2: start reading, try to read for at least 5 minutes before proceeding to step 3
      3: Swear under your breath at how boring it is, look around room for a distraction
      4: tidy your room, you cant work with all these ditractions
      5: Check PS forums
      6: Go back to book, read for at least 2 minutes
      7: Get hungy, you probably need to go to the shop to stock up on snack foods and energy drinks so that you don't keep getting interupted by having to make food
      8: Go to shop, buy supplies
      9: You've earned a break! Close that book and take 5-30 minutes to chill out and reenergize.
      10: Repeat steps 1-9 until about 3 hours before the exam.
      11: Panic and read as much as you can for about 2 hours
      12: give up, and rest until the exam starts
      13: Do the exam
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      I usually go with that approach aswell
    • Econom1sta
      Econom1sta
      Bronze
      Solid studying plan. I gratefully accept it WITH some minor changes.

1: Open book
      2: start reading, try to read for at least 50 minutes before proceeding to step 3
      3: Swear under your breath at how boring it is, BUT DON'T look around room for a distraction
      4: Go back to book, read for at least 20 minutes
      5: EAT first thing you find in the kitchen
      6: You've earned a break! Close that book and take 5 min. to smoke a cigar
      7: Repeat steps 1-6 until about 3 hours before the exam.
      8: Panic and read as much as you can for about 2 hours
      9: NEVER give up, and read even in freaking bus on the way
      10: Do the exam.

huh?! niceeeee one myself! :D
    • darkprice
      darkprice
      Bronze
      Startar by quickly looking through the pages you are going to read. Spend like 3 secounds looking at each page and read the headlines and take a look at the pictures.

Then do all the other things
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      And be aware that years of TV, internet and multitabling will have shot your attention span and ability to focus. Make sure that you always have a couple of tables open in the background to keep those other noisy parts of your brain occupied so you can really focus on study
    • vupix2
      vupix2
      Silver
      just put a book under the pillow when u go to sleep :D
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      1. open the book to the chapter/page you need to learn
      2. put it over your eyes
      3. lie down
      4. the letters will fall in your head
      5. exam time
    • SirPaulius
      SirPaulius
      Bronze
      do like I do if exam is a test always choose answer A. A is lucky.
    • b0b01111
      b0b01111
      Bronze
      1) Look at the chapters to know at least what are they talking about in the book
      2)Go find an older guy that took that exam and ask what kind of exercises u need to know
      3)If ur in a collage were u need to learn and dont think get a frend to tell you through a tiny headphone
      4)GL
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      This is the story of my 1st year in univ, so I have some experience :D This happened on almost every test/exam I took(maths and physics exams, not easy stuff), and I generally took good grades, so it's possible!(not recommendable though...)

First of all never give up, always say "If I can't study everything, at least I'll study the most I can". And for passing an exam that's more than enough.

So, you won't be able to take notes or anything like that, you don't have the time.
      1st: Read through like 50 pages very fast just to see what's more important.
      2nd: Grab a pencil and start underlining the important things.
      - Repeat 1st and 2nd for the 250 pages.
      3rd: Then start memorizing/understanding the things you underlined.

If you also need to know how to resolve the exercises, you have to look at that too. And you also need to check the last exams on that discipline, to know the most important things you have to study.

If you want to maximize your odds you'll have to stay the night before the exam awake to study (with lots of coffee). It needs to be this night because you'll need to compensate your sleep later, so you can compensate after your exam. And studying 1 night before the exam is easier because of the pressure.

And don't lose your motivation. I did this the whole year and I took good grades, it's possible.
    • Econom1sta
      Econom1sta
      Bronze
      It's not in a test form. I have 139 questions, and book with 400 pages where the answers are. Questions are separated in 3 groups of 46 and I take one of each group. I've learned first third, so I expect to know one question very solid. Generaly, I'm more into knowing something about every question than knowing some good and others not at all.

It's relatively easy for studying, no graphs or anything, just pale words and some percentages here and there, agriculture menagement it's called. It just kills me knowing how my mind is gonna be troubled until tuesday morning. But I can't give up, I've been giving up until now, this is last chance. And this exam is just first step of my "genious" plan to pass the year, this is the easy part. :P

Thanks guys and tosh5457

p.s. Wasting time for sleep on night before exam, never did, never will (partly because I never get it prepared on time). :coolface:
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      If its simply an exam of remembering dates, or of specific answers (as in not questions like write an argument for x or describe in detail why Y happened) then memory tricks ftw!

Have a quick read up on Mnemonics, memory palaces and the PEG system i think it was called been a long time since i played with my memory (lol dont take me not remembering as a bad sign)

Seriously you can learn 139 questions and answers in like half an hour an hour max and wont forget them for a long time even if you have never tried to train your memory before.

Derren brown explains it well for beginners in his book Tricks of the mind (great read btw everyone highly recommended) you might be able to find the right chapter somewhere on the net or at least someone explaining it.

Within an hour of reading that chapter i learnt a list of 200 random objects both forwards and backwards and if you told me a number between the 1-200 i could have picked the object out within seconds.

Give it a go its good fun and really useful too, can win you a good few bets in the pub :f_love:

Let me know how you get on with it

Carl
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      +1 for mnemonics.

+1 for Brad opening a study training site. :heart:
    • b0b01111
      b0b01111
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      Have a quick read up on Mnemonics, memory palaces and the PEG system i think it was called been a long time since i played with my memory (lol dont take me not remembering as a bad sign)
      can i find em in electronic format???would be so nice to enhance my memory
    • Roachor
      Roachor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by furculision
      1. open the book to the chapter/page you need to learn
      2. put it over your eyes
      3. lie down
      4. the letters will fall in your head
      5. exam time
      Haha, brilliant!
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      mnemonics ftw
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by b0b01111
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      can i find em in electronic format???would be so nice to enhance my memory
      Im not sure tbh i have them all in hard copy im not at home at the moment but Derren Brown is general all round great read and is good at introducing you to mnemonics and some other cool tricks. Also i've got a book called, "How To develop A Super Power Memory" by Harry Lorayne iirc which is good to read and is also pretty beginner friendly, i have some more too that il post when im back home.

You should be able to find them in ebook format i think, enjoy :)
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vupix2
      just put a book under the pillow when u go to sleep :D
      lol :D I think this might just work !!!!
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Find summaries for the subject you want to know.
      Highlight keywords.
      Memorize them.
      If it's a popular book read reviews. It will help you grasp the subject.

Try recording yourself reading through some summaries, grab urself a pair of headphones and listen to them until exam time.