[NL2-NL10] NL2 SH - 77 Pre-Flop

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      I folded because their stacks weren't big enough to pay me off in case of a three-of-a-kind, but I don't know, I felt that I did something wrong (maybe 'cos I cried when I saw 77 on the flop).
      But even in the case they had big stacks (x20 right?), and me too, I'd be in doubt.

What should I have done, in both cases?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2,32
      BB:
      $1,78
      MP3:
      $0,17
      CO:
      $4,54

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7:heart: , 7:spade:
      MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0,02, CO calls $0,02, BU folds, Hero calls $0,01, BB raises to $0,12, MP3 raises to $0,17 (All-In), 2 folds, BB calls $0,05.

Flop: ($0,38) A:diamond: , 7:diamond: , 7:club:
      Turn: ($0,38) 5:club:
      River: ($0,38) K:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $0,38

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP3 shows two-pair, tens and sevens (Th Td)
      BB shows (9d 9c)

MP3 wins with two-pair, tens and sevens (Th Td)
  • 3 replies
    • Gloryne
      Gloryne
      Bronze
      In my opinion you did the right thing to fold. Such situations are pure mathematics (the call 20 rule). Of course things like this may happen and WILL happen frequently, but in the long term, you only win by following this rule. You will get used to this as time passes :)

On the other hand, if both you and the others had big stacks, I would be very happy to call because in case you hit on the flop, as in this example, you have good chances of taking both their stacks. If you don't hit, there 's no problem because your play was long term right.

You just have to think only long term in poker and not on a hand by hand and money basis.

I hope that helps..
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gloryne
      In my opinion you did the right thing to fold. Such situations are pure mathematics (the call 20 rule). Of course things like this may happen and WILL happen frequently, but in the long term, you only win by following this rule. You will get used to this as time passes :)

On the other hand, if both you and the others had big stacks, I would be very happy to call because in case you hit on the flop, as in this example, you have good chances of taking both their stacks. If you don't hit, there 's no problem because your play was long term right.

You just have to think only long term in poker and not on a hand by hand and money basis.

I hope that helps..
      Yupyup I always think on the long term :3
      I don't care a bit about situational things, there was just SOMETHING in this hand that kind of got me on the "hmmm did I do it right?" state.
      Dunno what.
      Probably my subconscious is still screaming on the 4 of a kind on the flop.
      xD

But I'm usually not affected by these things >:3

Thx for the contribution!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello AtrociousNightmare,

Well, even if you Call there BB could easily just re-raise. :) Which we don't want to see, we would just donate free money into the pot. Nice hand!

Best regards.