[NL2-NL10] AJs OOP with iniative (Homework lesson 4)

• Yoghurt1973
      Yoghurt1973
      Bronze
      Villain: 25/13/2.0 after 8 hands.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.25(BB) Replayer
      SB ($16.81)
      BB ($55.66)
      Hero ($10.22)
      UTG+1 ($25)
      UTG+2 ($19.25)
      MP1 ($50.05)
      CO ($4.68)
      BTN ($51.19)

Dealt to Hero A:heart: J:heart:

Hero raises to $0.55, fold, fold, MP1 calls $0.55, fold, fold, SB calls $0.45, fold

FLOP ($1.90) 9:heart: T:spade: T:heart:

SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks

TURN ($1.90) 9:heart: T:spade: T:heart: 8:club:

SB checks, Hero bets $1.20, MP1 calls $1.20, SB folds

RIVER ($4.30) 9:heart: T:spade: T:heart: 8:club: 7:heart:

Hero bets $3, MP1 raises to $10, Hero calls $5.47 (AI)

MP1 shows 8:spade: 8:heart:
      (Pre 54%, Flop 44.0%, Turn 100.0%)

Hero shows A:heart: J:heart:
      (Pre 46%, Flop 56.0%, Turn 0.0%)

MP1 wins $20.19

Too small preflop raise, was messing around with table ninja.
      Flop: should i have bet the flop?
      Can i check raise the flop and fold to an allin?
      River: I thought he might have a flush too, since a straight he would have raised for value and protection on the turn and idem for trips. Obviously i did not put him on a fullhouse.
  • 6 replies
    • boomer011
      boomer011
      Bronze
      Line here is Raise flop for sure; and here are the reasons:
      First you have the intiative from preflop and this is a perfect spot for a Cbet, you have hit a piece of the flop in that you have a flush draw as well as the two overs, plus paired boards are generally an awesome spot to Cbet. As played this hand is a tough call, while I don't believe I could find a fold on the river, given that you were getting almost 3to 1 on your call and a smaller flush is possible here, or even the straight if OP is a donk (8 hand sample not enough to be able to tell). I will say however that from my experience overbet shove on river is basically NEVER any sort of bluff, and is almost always a MONSTER, so in this case almost never the straight or a low flush, but K high flush is possible.
      Overall however, bet flop here 100%, your pots taken down without showdown will skyrocket, as will your win rate, if you try to take down these pots with a draw and initiative right away, without relying on having to hit.
    • Yoghurt1973
      Yoghurt1973
      Bronze
      Well i expected him to bet the flop and so i could check raise him.
      If he would not bet the flop i would have picked up the pot on the turn a lot, a lot of times. Got a little gready since i like the flop so much.
    • Yoghurt1973
      Yoghurt1973
      Bronze
      And i agree of overbetting the river there that he had a monster almost always and 80% of the time at least thats a fullhouse and not king high flush or worse. Think i missed that due to multitalbing and was glad i could get some extra on river lol
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Yoghurt1973,

If you are playing BSS add to full stack. :)

As played while not playing BSS, it's a fold from UTG. Also as you continue on river you can easily lay it down, I doubt that we are going to see weaker hands there which shove. A lot of PPs did hit there and they make FH. Also some connector combos like T9. For given that reason I'd rather Bet/Fold the river. Doubt that he is raising with straight or anything similar there.

But most likely you can even bet the flop with nutFD+backdoor draws and even overcards which might be clean.

Best regards.
    • Yoghurt1973
      Yoghurt1973
      Bronze
      Yes :) BSS i was just adding some tables while playing CAP and all my tables where on minimum buyin, got it fixed now sorry ;)

8 handed i am opening there with AJs. Winning hand according HM (CAP that was)

But its standard to c-bet flop of course but check raise there is ok isnt it when you think opponent is agressive and capable of betting worse there?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      But its standard to c-bet flop of course but check raise there is ok isnt it when you think opponent is agressive and capable of betting worse there?

Doubt that you gonna see a lot of Check/Raises in this spot when we are multiway. Most likely if you gonna see then rather against strong hands which you wont get that good implied odds anyways and could easily fold.