dany2391

• dany2391
      dany2391
      Bronze
      Hi everybody!My name is Daniel and I have been playing poker for about 3 years.

I first started off playing FL.I got my 50$ bonus on Party Poker and got started playing but didn't play too much because I was busy with school and didn't have enough time on my hands.
      My bonus expired but I still had about 10$ in my account.After that I took a break from poker.

Surprisingly,I received a second bonus on Full Tilt.I then decided that FL wasn't the game for me and switched to NL.This time I started investing more time in poker and in studying poker.I had a few downswings in the beginning but I kept going and was one step to moving to NL4 when Full Tilt went bust.

Currently I am playing at Party Poker.I turned my 10$ into about 50$ and I looking forward to move up.And who knows?Maybe Full Tilt
      will be back.Like Arnlod.
  • 22 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey dany2391,

Welcome to the NL Beginners Course!

Hope we can help you in your quest to move up the limits and beat the games. I'm sure with plenty of effort on your behalf - you will be printing the $$$ very soon.

Best wishes,
      Gary
    • dany2391
      dany2391
      Bronze
      1.What is your motivation for playing poker?

My motivation is obviously making money but also the satisfaction of dominating my opponents and getting that 'feel' for the game.Also,I believe that poker skills apply in real life too like being able to read people better.Another motivating factor would be trying to perfect myself to be the best poker player I can be,so it's kind of a challenge.

2.What is your biggest weakness when playing poker?

I have a few weaknesses like tilting after losing a hand and also I think I should invest more time into playing and
      studying poker but my biggest leak would be the continuation bet frequency (90%).

3.What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Playing tight aggressive means carefully selecting your hands preflop and being aggressive when you play them by betting
      or raising even when you don't necessarily have the best hand.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Some more points earned.
    • dany2391
      dany2391
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

There are a few hands I would play differently than suggested in the chart because I've been playing for some time and
      the SHc is more like an introduction to poker for the more inexperienced players.I'm not the wisest poker player of them all
      (yet:D ),but I believe that I can handle the marginal situations that weaker starting hands put you in.

Deviations from the SHC:

1.I would 3-bet middle and low pocket pairs depending on the position the raise was made from.
      2.I would raise strong hands from an earlier position and 3-bet them if there is a raise before me(AT+,KT+)
      3.I would play one gappers

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Hand #1 - QTo
      Hand #2 - AKo
      Hand #3 - QQ

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?

The equity AKo against the top 5%range is 46.32.
    • dany2391
      dany2391
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding K :spade: Q :spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3 :diamond: 3 :club: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J :spade: 5 :diamond: 3 :spade: ?

Preflop equity - 50.78
      Qquity on the flop - 26.46

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: J :club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 2 :club: 6 :diamond: 3 :diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 :club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

I would call the min raise and reevaluare on the river.We are drawing for the nut-flush and we are getting 4.1:1 pot odds.
      We only need 4:1 to call.We also have implied odds but they are not that high because we are out of position,we are on the turn
      and our hand would be pretty obvious if we hit.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Hand #1
      Hand #2
      Hand #3
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

1.I would 3-bet middle and low pocket pairs depending on the position the raise was made from.

Well, I don't like that much 3betting from all positions. I mean you really have to have a good reason to do that. Why ain't ya calling for set value for example?

2.I would raise strong hands from an earlier position and 3-bet them if there is a raise before me(AT+,KT+)

Seems like you 3betting too much. You can't always take the initiative against any opponents. You playing way too aggressively your hands which will definitely in long run rather cost you money. You must be picky where you play the hands this way. Also for example if you 3bet with AK, what's your further plan against tight opponent for example who is opening from UTG?

Of course doable but I would recommend watching those kind of hands in the tracker either you play them profitable or not.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #3:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • dany2391
      dany2391
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Well, I don't like that much 3betting from all positions. I mean you really have to have a good reason to do that. Why ain't ya calling for set value for example?

Seems like you 3betting too much. You can't always take the initiative against any opponents. You playing way too aggressively your hands which will definitely in long run rather cost you money. You must be picky where you play the hands this way. Also for example if you 3bet with AK, what's your further plan against tight opponent for example who is opening from UTG?

Of course doable but I would recommend watching those kind of hands in the tracker either you play them profitable or not.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
      1.For example if I am on the BU and CO raises before me I would 3-bet with 99,TT,JJ.Also if there was a raise from a late position I would 3-bet with these hands from the blinds.Of course it depends on the type of player I am up against.

2.If the raise was made from an early position by a tight player,I would call it and see where I stand on the flop.But if,for instance I have AQs and a loose player with PFR of 30+ raises from MP3,I would 3-bet it rather than fold it like the Starting Hand Chart says.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1.For example if I am on the BU and CO raises before me I would 3-bet with 99,TT,JJ.Also if there was a raise from a late position I would 3-bet with these hands from the blinds.Of course it depends on the type of player I am up against.

Well, but what's the idea behind 3betting with those hands like 99-JJ against tight player? You are never 3betting for value there. :(

2.If the raise was made from an early position by a tight player,I would call it and see where I stand on the flop.But if,for instance I have AQs and a loose player with PFR of 30+ raises from MP3,I would 3-bet it rather than fold it like the Starting Hand Chart says.

Folding would be anyways criminal with AQs. :D Way too weak. Although 3betting is totally fine as well but what's your plan if he decides to 4bet against you and hasn't done it earlier?
    • dany2391
      dany2391
      Bronze
      Folding would be anyways criminal with AQs. grin Way too weak. Although 3betting is totally fine as well but what's your plan if he decides to 4bet against you and hasn't done it earlier?

I guess it depends on his 3-betting rage,his stack and maybe his table image.If Villain is playing on tilt,maybe for losing a few pots and raises like crazy,I will sometimes ship it against him.
    • dany2391
      dany2391
      Bronze
      Homework Lesson 4

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have the initiative post-flop

AKo with initiative

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

Hand Evaluation

Question 3: You are on the flop with K :spade: Q :diamond: . The board cards are J :spade: , 9 :club: , 8 :heart: , and your opponent holds 7 :club: 7 :heart: . What is your equity in this spot?

Board: 8:heart: J:spade: 9:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.
    • dany2391
      dany2391
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.
      Thanks veritz.I have read all the articles and I have seen hasenbraten's videos.Also,I've watched your coachings from the past weeks.I'm taking this course very seriously because I want to improve my game.
    • dany2391
      dany2391
      Bronze
      Homework Lesson 5

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.

ATs

Hand evaluation

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (7 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6 :diamond: , 7 :diamond:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3 :diamond: , 3 :heart: , T :diamond:( 3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) J :diamond: (3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

I would raise on the turn(~5$) because we hit our flush and we need to protect against higher flushes.I don't really like BB calling but he looks a little loose and could be calling with a weaker hand or a draw.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (8 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($8)
      MP ($10)
      MP2 ($9)
      MP3 ($6)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10) (25/21/3.8/26/1250) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J :heart: , J :spade:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU 3-bets to $1.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($2.75) 6 :heart: , 9 :spade: , T :club: (2 players)
      Hero...

I would check/raise in case he bets because he is an aggressive player and will often bet on this flop even if he doesn't hit.If he doesn't bet,I would play it way ahead/way behind.In case he checks behind on the turn,I would place a value bet on the river,depending on the board.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

Also thanks for the feedback. :) Hopefully you will do soon progress in your poker career and become a good poker player.

Good luck on tables and with the School. Some more points earned.
    • dany2391
      dany2391
      Bronze
      Homework Lesson 6

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have either a) freeplay, b) slowplay, or c) multi-way pot situation.

66 slowplay and multiway

Hand evaluation

$25 NL Hold'em (10 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($25)
      UTG+1 ($25) rock
      UTG+2 ($25)
      MP1 ($25)
      MP2 ($25) LAG
      MP3 ($25) maniac
      CO ($25)
      Hero BU ($25)
      SB ($25)
      BB ($25) calling station

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q:heart: , J:heart:
      5 folds, MP3 raises $1.00, CO calls $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, 1 fold, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($4.10) 3:heart: , J:club: , A:diamond: (4 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.10) Q:club: (4 players)
      BB bets $2.05, 2 folds, Hero...?

Considering the fact that BB is a calling station,I would call and reevaluate on the river.It's never a good thing when a station bets on the turn,OOP against 4 players.It's very possible he has a monster.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #6 Done!

About Question #3:
      Two lines can quickly be discarded here: fold and raise/fold; your hand is simply too strong for those alternatives.

It's hard to assess whether you should put in a raise here. When a rather passive player decides to bet into three players while being out of position, it does look strong. It's more likely an indication of a made hand than that of a draw.

A raise naturally protects, but you run the risk of isolating yourself against very strong range. Which weaker hands could your opponent possibly continue playing here?

The deciding factor finally comes in the size of the pot. This tiny pot simply isn't worth putting yourself into a tough spot where you could potentially end up risking your entire stack. A raise would be overplayed here and pot control takes the precedent over protection.

Best of Luck on the tables and with the Course. Some more points earned.
    • dany2391
      dany2391
      Bronze
      Homework Lesson 7

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have played on a 6-max table (short-handed).

Q6s

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members

Hand evaluation

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB (Hero) ($10)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5:heart: , 4:heart:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) 3:spade: , 2:Heart: , Q:heart: (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.20, CO Raises All-in, BU calls All-in, SB folds, Hero...

With 15 outs we are favorite against QQ+and 22,33 which would be the top of our opponent's ranges.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO (Hero) ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:club: , K:spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) A:spade: , 4:club: , 4:diamond: (4 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $1.20, Hero...

I would raise on the flop to get value from weaker hands and also to get information about their hands.It depends on the type of opponents I'm facing.
    • dany2391
      dany2391
      Bronze
      Homework Lesson 8

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the No Limit: Hand Evaluations board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)

NL2 55

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other
      members.

Hand evaluation

$100 NL Hold'em (9 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($100)
      UTG+1 ($100)
      MP1 ($100)
      MP2 ($100)
      Hero ($100)
      CO ($100)
      BU ($100)
      SB ($100)
      BB ($100) (18/15/3.7/23/732)[VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8:heart: , 9:heart:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $4.00, 3 folds, BB calls $4.00

Flop: ($8.50) 3:heart: , 6 , 8:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $5.50 BB calls $5.50

Turn: ($19.50) J:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero...

I would bet ~ 15$ because we hit our flush and we want to protect against another :heart: and for value because our opponent isn't exactly a calling station and probably has a made hand.

BONUS Question 4 (optional question): Consider the following situation:

$200 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      MP2 (Hero) ($327.95)
      MP3 ($207.45)
      CO ($415.55) (TAG)
      BU ($373.60) (TAG)
      SB ($200.00)
      BB ($218.00)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7:heart: , 8:heart:
      Hero raises to $7, 1 folds, CO raises to $23, BU calls $23, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $16

Flop: ($72) 7:club: , 8:spade: , 8:diamond: (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, BU bets $52, Hero calls, CO calls

Turn: ($228) K:diamond: (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, BU checks

River: ($228) Q:heart: (3 players)
      Hero bets $110, CO raises to $340.55 (All-in), BU folds, Hero?

What factors and concepts that you have learned so far would you use in evaluating this situation? What would your action be?

CO's raise on the river obviously indicates strength,but we already invested more than half of our stack and if we put CO on QQ+ we would get 50% equity so we can't fold this hand for the given odds.