I need a new Poker Challenge!

• UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hello boys and girls,

The title of the post says it all really....I need a new Poker Challenge. I would like everyone to consider that unfortunately I don't have as much time to commit to Poker as I would like, due to full time work, fatherhood and part time moderating (which don't get me wrong - I love with every beat of my heart) and not to mention keeping my gorgeous fiancee happy!

I guess, I could manage around 3 hours a week Poker time. Maybe more, maybe less, I'm not quite sure of this at the minute as every week is different.

This is my major problem. I get annoyed when I try to create a sample because it takes me a god damn age to get there and I guess it tilts me more than it should :(

Let's look at my previous attempts:

CASH GAMES

SSS

Really enjoyed it, and had moderate success while playing it over a fairly decent sample. Unfortunately, it doesn't really exist any more, or is still possible on some Poker Sites?

MSS

Enjoyed this too, but found it swingy as hell and was breakeven for the most part after about 70k hands.

BSS

Never got the hang of it and I don't think I'd have enough time to build a decent sample in a short enough period of time.

1 TABLE SNG

My all-time favourite love :) However, time is a problem here. I recently had a 200 game binge @ Stars and was breakeven after getting off too a great start. Maybe if I switched too a different platform with more fish this may work out. Suggestions please!?!

MTT

Would love to play them, but time is not gonna permit this unfortunately :(

So guys, I would love to hear you're suggestions on this one.

Thanks,

Gary
  • 15 replies
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Learn PLO 6max? :D
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wriggers
      Learn PLO 6max? :D
      I never mentioned PLOmahahaha in my OP :)

I have played it before, but I wouldn't have the bankroll for it unfortunately :(
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Not even a BR for PLO2? :(
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Depends on what I'd need??!

Plomahaha newb ITT!
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      come and ship me your roll on HU SNGs ;)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Nice offer there Fazer but I wanna build a roll and not destroy one ;)
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      Hi Gary,

I think you should stick to what you prefer. The more you like something, the easiest is to master it. Since you seem to prefer SnGs over all the other types of games, you should stick to it.
      That said, if time is really a problem to you, CG is the only solution I see since it allows you to play a precise amount of time, 5min or 60h, you can stop anytime and come back latter when you have time again without loosing your investment.
      An alternative solution is to try Turbo SnGs. I wouldn't recommend it though since it implies more variance dependent results and playing against, potentially, more gamblers, which is, imho, only a good thing when you are on your own turf. I mean, playing against a gambler that pushes hard with cards that he likes instead of cards that are good in the context is much more profitable in a CG where you can wait to "beat him senseless" than in a turbo SnG where it is much more about luck.

Maybe you are a bit bored of not winning consistently and that's why you are searching the "answer" somewhere else by changing the game type or the poker site. I cannot help you to find another poker site since I only played seriously at FTP and just switched to PS, but I am nearly sure that trying to change everything won't really help you. Ask yourself want you want from poker then choose a plan and stick to it.

Good luck man, poker is hard work in a nice game suit. ;)

my 2 cents.
    • GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      +1 to learning PLO! It's a great game and at $0.01/$0.02 you can get away with a BR of $50 quite easily.
    • doctorkgb
      doctorkgb
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GodlikeRoy
      +1 to learning PLO! It's a great game and at $0.01/$0.02 you can get away with a BR of $50 quite easily.
      Shure!! First day you are busto or you doubled your roll :D . It is so sick.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I am strikingly similar to you, except for the SSS part, and the liking STT SnG a lot.

New challenge you say?

I'm finding I am really enjoying FL 5-card draw.
      Thought I knew what I was doing, and lost 10% of my roll in a single night, but since then, after M Galois posted his articles, I'm just about even again.

You want swingy? I'll give you swingy.
      Play some Badugi. Heck of a great game, lots of action, and v few people know what they're doing, so if you play quality hands aggressively, you should do well.
      How well? Up 1/4 of my original roll at one point -- and over only a few hundred hands.

How swingy? Currently back a little bit over B-E in about 1/2 as many hands.

But its great heaping gobs of fun!

Both available online at stars
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Wow guys!

Really appreciate the ideas and input :)

I have had some sporadic interests of late in FL 5 Card Draw and FL Stud. Thanks to Mister Galois it seems that alot of strategists are playing 5CD so it wouldn't be very +EV for me to do so, without putting alot of time into studying the basics etc.

Maybe it's something I could build towards in the future I guess.
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      i'd recommend NL holdem. BSS of course, that's the way to understand the game.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      5 Card Draw for a small BR and a slow bu not difficult rise up the stakes.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thazar
      come and ship me your roll on HU SNGs ;)
      #
      sighest :D Godfazer!
    • bbosstjan
      bbosstjan
      Bronze
      just wait until todays hearing ends for comeback of FullTilt, than go play rush...

:D :D :D :D