[NL2-NL10] Small Pocket Pair OOP

• deetee7101
      deetee7101
      Bronze
      Thought I would share this hand. I think its a good example of playing a hand OOP. My thoughts during each street were as follows:

When the button raised I was thinking he's going to raise a lot of hands in that position. I also thought he could be attempting a steal. The CO who entered the hand did so because he didnt want to wait on the BB, so I doubt he factored much on the buttons raise. I considered the raise amount and was happy to call based on the 20 rule (the buttons stack was £10+).

When the flop comes I was pretty happy. I thought I would check to allow the button to CBet and had decided to call rather than raise if the CBet was big enough! I suppose I should have been a bit more worried about the possibility of a flush getting there.

On the turn a scare card hits and I decide to check once again. The button bets £2 and I decide to call to see one more card. I was sure he wasnt bluffing at this stage but didnt want to automatically fold when a flush gets there (for a period I did that a lot and believe it cost me a lot of value). If he did have the flush I still had decent outs and didnt want to give up just yet!

The river comes and one of my 10 outs hits the board! I'm pretty happy with this card but was afraid at this stage to check the river incase he checked it back and I lost some value. I decided to lead out with a decent sized bet hoping he had hit a flush. I've also seen people lose their entire stack with AQ in this position!

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      Hero ($9.10)
      BB ($7.85)
      UTG ($10)
      UTG+1 ($4)
      UTG+2 ($8.58)
      MP1 ($4.59)
      CO ($4)
      BTN ($10.45)

CO posts $0.10

Dealt to Hero 4:club: 4:spade:

fold, fold, UTG+2 calls $0.10, fold, CO checks, BTN raises to $0.50, Hero calls $0.45, fold, fold, fold

FLOP ($1.30) Q:spade: 5:spade: 4:diamond:

Hero checks, BTN bets $0.82, Hero calls $0.82

TURN ($2.94) Q:spade: 5:spade: 4:diamond: 9:spade:

Hero checks, BTN bets $2, Hero calls $2

RIVER ($6.94) Q:spade: 5:spade: 4:diamond: 9:spade: 5:diamond:

Hero bets $4.95, BTN raises to $7.13 (AI), Hero calls $0.83 (AI)

Results follow:

BTN shows Qh Qd: (Pre 81%, Flop 91.1%, Turn 77.3%)

Hero shows 4c 4s: (Pre 19%, Flop 8.9%, Turn 22.7%)

BTN wins $17.60

Would appreciate any advice on how I could have played this hand better.
  • 4 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello deetee7101,

Preflop: Standard Call for set value. :)
      Flop: But I don't like that much the play here with Check/Call. It's just horrible, you might easily see Check behind on turn if you are going to Check as you even did. Rather Check/Raise it if anything at all.

As played
      Turn: Nothing much you can do while a draw even completed, I wouldn't change much.

As played
      River: Rather just ship it directly there, we still beat a lot of his hands in his range. Don't be result oriented. :)

Best regards.
    • deetee7101
      deetee7101
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply veriz.

So its never a good idea to check to the pre-flop raiser when OOP with a made hand on the flop? I had been doing this a fair bit vs oppponents with a high CBet percentage. When I raise their CBet I normally get an insta fold so I had thought this was getting me some value. I assumed that if I had lead out after the flop they would fold right away if they didnt hit it.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by deetee7101
      Thanks for the reply veriz.

So its never a good idea to check to the pre-flop raiser when OOP with a made hand on the flop? I had been doing this a fair bit vs oppponents with a high CBet percentage. When I raise their CBet I normally get an insta fold so I had thought this was getting me some value. I assumed that if I had lead out after the flop they would fold right away if they didnt hit it.
      Well, I wasn't talking about Checking overall. I was rather talking about Check/Calling. :) If you are choosing to Check then just Check/Raise it. ;) We still need to protect our hand and if he doesn't have a hand he wouldn't pay us anyways.
    • deetee7101
      deetee7101
      Bronze
      Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.