what room should I choose

• slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      hey guys whats up!
      I've been around for like 5-6 months or so, watched some VODs, read some books and forums on 2+2 and pokeroff. But never played online. And now I think I'm ready to start. So I'm choosing a room to play. I need a room with playmoney tables to train there first. What room should I pick?

The second question is:
      what is the number of hands a newbie (the guy just started playing) plays in texas holdem 6max before loosing $50?
      10k? 100k?
      Let's say he plays the lowest limits availabe. Micro limits.

Thanks.
  • 24 replies
    • ferotaraba
      ferotaraba
      Bronze
      Choosing the right Poker Room for you!

put your question up here
    • slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      sorry :f_biggrin:
      what about the second part? Any thoughts?
    • ferotaraba
      ferotaraba
      Bronze
      np just re-directing :)
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      Well to get used to the software by all means use play tables, don't play on it too long though as it is not realistic at all and will screw you up.

play 1 to 2 cent tables full ring, you should read the starting articles, and it is impossible to determine if you will loose it all and under what hand limit ????//

shurgs
    • slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ArkhamAsylum
      Well to get used to the software by all means use play tables, don't play on it too long though as it is not realistic at all and will screw you up.

play 1 to 2 cent tables full ring, you should read the starting articles
      of course I wont start playing cash if I don't feel 100% ready. But thanks!
      it is impossible to determine if you will loose it all and under what hand limit ????//
      let's choose the worst scenario. 1k? 5k? 50k?
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      Like I said dude I can not determine if you will freak out and tilt move up the limits and loose it all in one hand. It is a question that is impossible to answer.

play tight until you know what you are doing.
    • slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      I see what you mean. Nevermind.

I also have some thoughts and hope it's ok to post them here:
      Since I'm not going to play cash games any time soon, can I signup for a room (let's say partypoker) and play some free tables there without loosing the opportunity to get $50 deposit bonus from ps later?
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi slipkn6t,

You are welcome to join any of the partner rooms and would earn Strategy points for any you sign up to using the PokerStrategy.com link.

The free $50 is however a one off arrangement and is usually time limited i.e. you will have x number of days after signing up to clear the starting capital and any related bonus cash. For this reason it's best to apply for it straight away.

It is free money available for you to get used to the tables, different play etc so that you don't necessarily have to deposit your own funds. I personally would use this to it's advantage and try out the real money tables.
      Sadly the free (play money) tables rarely represent a true reflection on actual poker as everyone plays very differently to how they would play with real money. It's always best to play on real money tables, even if it is the real lowest micro buyin.

Hope this helps to answer your query, any problems or additional questions, don't hestitate to shout.

Best regards,

Bart
    • slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EagleStar88The free $50 is however a one off arrangement and is usually time limited i.e. you will have x number of days after signing up to clear the starting capital and any related bonus cash. For this reason it's best to apply for it straight away.
      that kinda sux. I joined pokerstrategy.com in June.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Sorry for any confusion caused slipkn6t, I actually meant you have a limited time to clear the capital and any bonus after signing up to the poker room, not actually the date which you joined PokerStrategy.com on.

Each Poker room is slightly different, but after signing up (via the PokerStrategy.com link), they allow you a certain number of days, typically between 30 & 120 in which to earn a certain amount of player points/rake.

So you would still have the full time limit to achieve this after signing up to whichever room you choose.

Hope this helps to clarify, sorry once again for any confusion and don't hesitate to shout if I or one of the other mods/admins can help any further ;)

Best regards,

Bart
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi slipkn6t,

just want to add a little bit in here, hope you guys dont mind. :)

if you use proper bankroll management and study the articles here, there is very very little chance that you will lose the $50 no matter how many hands you play. if you want to read more about bankroll management, why don't you check out this article? i think this is the most important thing you will ever need to learn.
      brm for cash games

there is also brm for tournaments if you want to play those instead.

also, you can download any poker client, they ALL have play money tables without exception. however, you would want to sign up using the PokerStrategy.com links/codes. i cannot tell you how many members post in here regretting not being tracked somewhere, and there is nothing much we can do about it anymore once you've created the account without it.

this is my opinion - i would only ever advise playing on play money tables to get used to the software. not for learning any real poker. the play is so vastly different, even from the smallest stakes that it won't help you very much later on, and may even teach you some bad habits.

if it were me, i would take the free $50 now (Party Poker just extended the time to clear to 150 days which is plenty of time), start reading the articles, and watching the videos. it is normal to break even or lose at the start but do not be disheartened. if you have determination, patience and the willingness to work hard, you will easily turn this around as you gain experience and knowledge. i believe you these are enough to help you survive the lowest limits. if you need any help, just post around here and there are plenty of members to answer your questions. :)

also, like bart said, it doesnt matter if you registered in june. you can still get your free $50 now if you want.

smiles,
      wendy
    • iCallSick1
      iCallSick1
      Bronze
      you cannot legitemately learn and move forward playing for fun money Serious!!!
    • slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      hi there
      been playing freegames nl10 (lowest nl table available) 6max in partypoker room.
      I can't win anything there. I'm hopeless. I keep loosing playmoney in each game. In every single game. I mean if I can't survive these easiest tables, then I will lose all the $50 in an hour if I start playing cash. I thought it would be much easier to play free tables.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi slipkn6t,

have you read any of the articles or watched any of our videos yet?

don't be disheartened. play money is nothing like real money. basically that's just people calling or shoving crap without any sense or logic because they have nothing to lose except time. even at the lowest real money tables, people try much harder to keep their money.

if you are worried about losing your $50 in 1 day, then i highly suggest getting your bankroll in william hill or titan poker or poker770 which have automatic bankroll protection measures so you never accidentally play higher.

did you read my previous post? are you open to listening to advice and opinion of other poker players? if not, then it would be impossible for you to move forward. don't lose hope!

regards,
      wendy
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Originally posted by slipkn6t
      Originally posted by EagleStar88The free $50 is however a one off arrangement and is usually time limited i.e. you will have x number of days after signing up to clear the starting capital and any related bonus cash. For this reason it's best to apply for it straight away.
      that kinda sux. I joined pokerstrategy.com in June.
      Don't worry about that, you didn't apply yet so you have plenty of time :)
    • slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      have you read any of the articles or watched any of our videos yet?
      I'm stuck at Starting Hand Chart and practicing it in playmoney mode. I find this whole poker learning thing way harder than I expected :D
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      play money is nothing like real money. basically that's just people calling or shoving crap without any sense or logic because they have nothing to lose except time. even at the lowest real money tables, people try much harder to keep their money.
      that's exactly what I say. Playmoney game is nothing like a cash game. It's much easier to beat because opponents don't really care + there are more new players like me. But even so I cannot play good there. I'm playing the lowest nl tables and I'm stuck at 1000.
      Do you really think it's a bad idea to play free tables for the 1st week of starting playing poker?
      My plan was to play it until I make 10k of 1k play chips. So far I made 1008 after like several hours playing :D
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by slipkn6t
      that's exactly what I say. Playmoney game is nothing like a cash game. It's much easier to beat because opponents don't really care + there are more new players like me.
      No, I can't agree with that. Playmoney tables are much harder to beat because your villains aren't playing with any strategy rather than just clicking buttons. At least most of them. Which means you wont be able to take notes or shouldn't really because it wouldn't make any sense. They will call/raise/shove with almost anything just for the sake/fun of it.

When in real money play, your opponents will possibly better at these things and somehow trying to master their own strategy. They will also be more careful to spew any money that fast and rather play tighter than "maniac" type of players.

Playmoney ground is good for exercising:

- bet sizing
      - learn about your position
      - how to deal with "maniac" players
      - get used to the client
      - play FR action
      - practice all hands type (pair, set, flush, full house, straight etc...) and recognize faster what you may have and may not have

Does this make sense to you?

When you say you don't know how to play or not playing well. What exactly do you mean? Are you playing alone, have you been reading articles and if yes, which ones did you/did you not understand?

have you tried to post some hands and seek help from our handjudges?

Ingrid
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      by first time playing poker do you mean that you are just learning the rules? if so, then play money tables are really good for that. also for getting used to the software. if you need to do these things, play on as much as you want and however long you will need :)

but do not consider any result as a real reflection of the game. even if you win 10,000, or lose 10,000, it is no guarantee of how you will fare on the real money tables. the starting charts probably will not work as well for play money either.

let us consider an example. there are 10 players on the table.
      you have AA. the starting hand chart dictates that this is an easy all in.

on a play money table:
      there is a lot of action and 5 people go all in. (multiple way all ins are quite common on play money tables) you see the other people have random hands like 23, 89, 55, KQ. ridiculous right? fact: you will have 43% chance of winning here.

on real money tables, you will probably be all in against only 1 opponent. (it is not often that people will go all in with random hands.) for example IF your opponent will only go all in with AA, KK, AK, QQ, you have 82.5% chance of winning here.

i know it sounds pretty extreme, but it should give you a small idea that they ARE different. (it gets even worse for hands that are not AA)

but yea, i'm not sure you should be playing for real money now. you probably want to have read some articles or watched some strategy videos before transitioning over. otherwise, it will be very difficult to know what to do in any situation. why dont you join our beginner's school? (link is in my sig). it might help you a little bit in starting out. good luck!
    • slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IngridN
      Playmoney ground is good for exercising:
      - bet sizing
      - learn about your position
      - how to deal with "maniac" players
      - get used to the client
      - play FR action
      - practice all hands type (pair, set, flush, full house, straight etc...) and recognize faster what you may have and may not have
      never heard of it :f_cry: