This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] nl2 FR problem with JJ

• mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I would like a review of this hand, I will put my train of thoughts below the hand. I think I may have messed-up but I would like to know what was wrong in the way I played it.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $0.87
      MP3:
      $2.13
      CO:
      $3.84
      BU:
      $4.99
      SB:
      $4.12
      BB:
      $1.67
      UTG1 (Hero):
      $2.00
      UTG2:
      $2.29
      MP1:
      $1.96

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with J, J.
      Hero raises to $0.06, 2 folds, MP2 raises to $0.20, 5 folds, Hero calls $0.14.

Flop: ($0.43) 8, 9, 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.26, Hero raises to $0.70, MP2 calls $0.41.

Turn: ($1.8) 9 (2 players)

River: ($1.8) 6 (2 players)

Final Pot: $1.8.
      Results follow:

MP2 shows a flush, queen high(Q Q).
      Hero shows a flush, jack high(J J).

MP2 wins with a flush, queen high(Q Q).

Well, since the guy plays SSS, I expect him to have a big hand. QQ and over or AQ and over. I decide to call his raise and a pretty nice flop comes on the board. At this point I check in order to let him take the initiative and try to determine if he has a big pair or a big ace.
      He bets 60% of the pot, that seems a bit low to me, so I think that he may have a big ace and the chances that he has a heart in his hand are pretty low since I have one in my hand and there are 3 on the board. I reraise him big to take the hand right there thinking that I have outs to the flush ( and even a gutshot to the strait flush) if he, in fact, has an overpair and decides to call. Plus I think that I might represent AK/AQ of hearts with a check/raise since I called his reraise PF.
      I think I had every reason to check raise here but I would like to "hear" other opinions. Maybe I have all this wrong and simply should have fold PF or just called on the flop to see the turn before I make a decision.

Thanks in advance for any advice that could make me improve my game.
  • 1 reply
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      This is a fold-or-shove spot preflop.
      I agree that his 3bettingrange is very strong, it's QQ+,AQ+ at most - usually they don't even 3bet AQ, so you're up against smth like QQ+,AK against which you have:

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    63.81%  63.60%   0.21% { QQ+, AKs, AKo }
      MP3    36.19%  35.98%   0.21% { JJ }

...insufficient equity to either call or 3bet.
      Therefore it's a fold preflop.

Once you do call and hit this flop it's mandatory to c/shove because he's unlikely to follow through with unimproved overcards so there's no point in inducing.