[NL2-NL10] nl2 FR problem with JJ

• mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I would like a review of this hand, I will put my train of thoughts below the hand. I think I may have messed-up but I would like to know what was wrong in the way I played it.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $0.87
      MP3:
      $2.13
      CO:
      $3.84
      BU:
      $4.99
      SB:
      $4.12
      BB:
      $1.67
      UTG1 (Hero):
      $2.00
      UTG2:
      $2.29
      MP1:
      $1.96

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with J, J.
      Hero raises to $0.06, 2 folds, MP2 raises to $0.20, 5 folds, Hero calls $0.14.

Flop: ($0.43) 8, 9, 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.26, Hero raises to $0.70, MP2 calls $0.41.

Turn: ($1.8) 9 (2 players)

River: ($1.8) 6 (2 players)

Final Pot: $1.8.
      Results follow:

MP2 shows a flush, queen high(Q Q).
      Hero shows a flush, jack high(J J).

MP2 wins with a flush, queen high(Q Q).

Well, since the guy plays SSS, I expect him to have a big hand. QQ and over or AQ and over. I decide to call his raise and a pretty nice flop comes on the board. At this point I check in order to let him take the initiative and try to determine if he has a big pair or a big ace.
      He bets 60% of the pot, that seems a bit low to me, so I think that he may have a big ace and the chances that he has a heart in his hand are pretty low since I have one in my hand and there are 3 on the board. I reraise him big to take the hand right there thinking that I have outs to the flush ( and even a gutshot to the strait flush) if he, in fact, has an overpair and decides to call. Plus I think that I might represent AK/AQ of hearts with a check/raise since I called his reraise PF.
      I think I had every reason to check raise here but I would like to "hear" other opinions. Maybe I have all this wrong and simply should have fold PF or just called on the flop to see the turn before I make a decision.

Thanks in advance for any advice that could make me improve my game.
  • 1 reply
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      This is a fold-or-shove spot preflop.
      I agree that his 3bettingrange is very strong, it's QQ+,AQ+ at most - usually they don't even 3bet AQ, so you're up against smth like QQ+,AK against which you have:

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    63.81%  63.60%   0.21% { QQ+, AKs, AKo }
      MP3    36.19%  35.98%   0.21% { JJ }

...insufficient equity to either call or 3bet.
      Therefore it's a fold preflop.

Once you do call and hit this flop it's mandatory to c/shove because he's unlikely to follow through with unimproved overcards so there's no point in inducing.