Best Strategy for a Newbie

• igika07
      igika07
      Bronze
      Hey Guys,

I'm a newbie to poker. Yes i know the game mechanics, Yes i understand the value of every BB and so on. So i'm a newbie to the game, but not to the rules.

Can someone please advise me which strategy is the best for me?
      MSS, Big Stack, Low Stack ?

I am really confused about this, because i've got only 13 USD on my account and i want to expand my bankroll for sure.

If anyone can help me out with an idea, you're welcome.

Respect,
      igika07
  • 18 replies
    • Systemrock
      Systemrock
      Bronze
      Can someone please advise me which strategy is the best for me? MSS, Big Stack, Low Stack ? I am really confused about this, because i've got only 13 USD on my account and i want to expand my bankroll for sure.

Hm, with this Bankroll the only thing you could play is Fixed Limit 0,02/0,04$. For No Limit 0,01/0,02$ (lowest Level) you need like 25 Buy-Ins (one Buy-in is 100*BigBlind) = 50$. You could start with less money than this but then you'll go broke for sure.

And if you want to play No Limit, then i would recommend the BSS, the Big Stack Strategy, as its very comfortable for newbies to play with.Not very difficult decisions.

I think you have 2 opportunities:
      1) desposit more money to play No Limit or
      2) start with Fixed Limit.

Hope this will help you.

Greetings
      Systemrock
    • igika07
      igika07
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Systemrock
      Can someone please advise me which strategy is the best for me? MSS, Big Stack, Low Stack ? I am really confused about this, because i've got only 13 USD on my account and i want to expand my bankroll for sure.

Hm, with this Bankroll the only thing you could play is Fixed Limit 0,02/0,04$. For No Limit 0,01/0,02$ (lowest Level) you need like 25 Buy-Ins (one Buy-in is 100*BigBlind) = 50$. You could start with less money than this but then you'll go broke for sure.

And if you want to play No Limit, then i would recommend the BSS, the Big Stack Strategy, as its very comfortable for newbies to play with.Not very difficult decisions.

I think you have 2 opportunities:
      1) desposit more money to play No Limit or
      2) start with Fixed Limit.

Hope this will help you.

Greetings
      Systemrock

Hey Systemrock,

So BSS is the best choise for me right now? I hope i will make it ok with that strategy.

My hardest headacke for the last 2 days was choosing the right strategy for me.
      I really want to be a good player and i'm trying to analyze my hands and to practice a lot.

Thanks for an advice.

Respect,
      igika07
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by igika07

I am really confused about this, because i've got only 13 USD on my account and i want to expand my bankroll for sure.

Well with $13, I would suggest NL2 and MSS. That would give you 16 buy-ins and at least some chance of not going busto.

If you played BSS, you'd only have 6.5 buy-ins and that waaaay to risk imo.

Kind regards,
      Gary
    • xaligali1
      xaligali1
      Basic
      people tend to start playing sss and bss because sss is easier to learn the odds and the ranges and then bss which is more complicated
    • igika07
      igika07
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle

Well with $13, I would suggest NL2 and MSS. That would give you 16 buy-ins and at least some chance of not going busto.

Kind regards,
      Gary
      Gary,

I was thinking about the same, but to be honest i can't understand when to use which strategy.

BSS is really not for me, as i have to sit down with the max buy-in. And the chance of loosing money , even having a good hand is very high.

I was thinking choosing between SSS and MSS.

Hope your advice will help me a lot.

Thank you for your kindness and willing to help,

Respect,
      igika07
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle

Kind regards,
      Gary
      Gary,

I was thinking about the same, but to be honest i can't understand when to use which strategy.

BSS is really not for me, as i have to sit down with the max buy-in. And the chance of loosing money , even having a good hand is very high.

I was thinking choosing between SSS and MSS.

Hope your advice will help me a lot.

Thank you for your kindness and willing to help,

Respect,
      igika07
      Personally, in this situation, I would study the MSS articles very well over the next few days. Taking a look at all the available material we have on MSS and then playing it at the tables.

I would stick to the guidelines of the strategy very, very carefully.

Obviously, if you were in a position to deposit more it would be perfect, but if not then you don't have much of a choice other than MSS.

Here is a link to all our MSS strategy articles. We also have a weekly free MSS Coaching session with Gerv, which would also be a good idea to take part in.

All the best and hope I was helpful,

Gary
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      I say go with the SSS just because you are new and you will tilt, the game will make you frustrated so if you are playing SSS at least you wont lose that much in one hand. And set your self a stop loss limit, like if you lose 3 buy-ins you stop playing so you don't tilt your bankroll.
    • igika07
      igika07
      Bronze
      Thank you guys for your advices.

THe only thing i know BSS is not for me ATM. if i'll ever roll over 100 USD then i will think about switching to it after another 100 USD :)

For this time, i will surely follow MSS or SSS.

TBH, for my situation i'm thinking of playing SSS on 2-3 Tables (Multitables), NL2 (0.01/0.02) with 0.80 Buy-in, for each table.

I won't continue playing if i will lose on all the three tables in one session.
      Hope this will give me an opportunity to increase my bankroll to 50 USD , within 2-3 weeks.
    • Systemrock
      Systemrock
      Bronze
      This is maybe a stupid Question, but the SSS isn't practible in most of the Pokerrooms is it? Because the Minimum Buy-in for a table is more then u need for SSS. And that's why the MSS appears ;) .

And another thing. As i mentioned in my post before, there is also another way for you, play Fixed limit Holdem. In FL the optimal BR is smaller in the Micro-Stakes than in NL. And there are very good articles on pokerstrategy for playing FL.

Greetings
      Systemrock
    • Vygantas82
      Vygantas82
      Bronze
      Also in FL holdem there is more weaker players and it will be more fun to play
    • darkpenance0
      darkpenance0
      Bronze
      $13 is plenty, just play some 0.50 sngs and if your a decent player you'll soon build that up to a point where you can start buying into NL cash games.

Seriously I have only ever bought in with $25 at a poker site so less than double what your playing with and I have never gone bust playing minimum sng buy ins and 0.02, 0.04 cash to start off with.

On PKR I withdrew my br cus I needed some quick cash for a trip to London and left myself with 0.70 cents, from that I got it to $175 without rebuying. Sure I got lucky in as much as I didn't get unlucky in that first 0.50 sng which I won to give me $2.80 but from that I built it up to $25 from freerolling and micro sngs to have enough to start playing cash and then never looked back.

You'd have to be very very very unlucky or terrible player to go bust with $13.
    • igika07
      igika07
      Bronze
      Originally posted by darkpenance0
      $13 is plenty, just play some 0.50 sngs and if your a decent player you'll soon build that up to a point where you can start buying into NL cash games.

Seriously I have only ever bought in with $25 at a poker site so less than double what your playing with and I have never gone bust playing minimum sng buy ins and 0.02, 0.04 cash to start off with.

On PKR I withdrew my br cus I needed some quick cash for a trip to London and left myself with 0.70 cents, from that I got it to $175 without rebuying. Sure I got lucky in as much as I didn't get unlucky in that first 0.50 sng which I won to give me $2.80 but from that I built it up to $25 from freerolling and micro sngs to have enough to start playing cash and then never looked back.

Hey Mate

I just won my first and only one SNG for now. 1$ usd and i won 2.80 USD i think.

Was a piece of cake. :)
    • igika07
      igika07
      Bronze

Hey Mate

I just won my first and only one SNG for now. 1$ usd and i won 2.80 USD i think.

Was a piece of cake. :)
      +

Hah ,, my second SNG was 1st Place too.

I won 2 SNG-es in a Row
    • darkpenance0
      darkpenance0
      Bronze
      Nicely done, at some point your gonna lose, thats just variance but your gonna win enough to build that bankroll up. I mean $13 is like 12 games, you aint gonna bust if your a decent player.

I find the BRM here kinda nitty, it works if you start with like $100 but if your starting with a small amount its not really the best way to do it.
    • igika07
      igika07
      Bronze
      Nicely done, at some point your gonna lose, thats just variance but your gonna win enough to build that bankroll up. I mean $13 is like 12 games, you aint gonna bust if your a decent player.

I find the BRM here kinda nitty, it works if you start with like $100 but if your starting with a small amount its not really the best way to do it.
      After that i lost 1, 4-th place, then i started multiseating 0.01/0.02 Tables and i'm on 17.02 Already,

Playing a 50 USD Freeroll ATM
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      which site are you playing on btw?

PokerStrategy.com has exclusive freerolls in some rooms too if you have a tracked account. Partypoker has 2 daily $100 freerolls and we have some on ipoker too. they are restricted to other players so better chances of winning compared to one which is open to everybody. :) you can play them everyday if you want.
    • igika07
      igika07
      Bronze
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      which site are you playing on btw?

PokerStrategy.com has exclusive freerolls in some rooms too if you have a tracked account. Partypoker has 2 daily $100 freerolls and we have some on ipoker too. they are restricted to other players so better chances of winning compared to one which is open to everybody. :) you can play them everyday if you want.
      And where can i find them mate?
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey Igika07

For all the information on our Daily Freerolls are Party Poker click the link below :)

Two exclusive Daily Freerolls at Party Poker

Please remember you must have a tracked account via PokerStrategy to avail of this special offer

All the best,
      Gary