Failures NOT an option: SPINNING!!!!

• keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Very original title, may change later on but this will do for now. :)

Ok so hey everyone, brief intro, im Chris, im 18 and just started uni whilst living at home. Started playing poker as bad as it sounds on zynga with my mates which got me interested in the game, then i started watchin poker on tv and loved it, especially liked watching the UKIPTs.

Then saw an advert for pokerfree50 and decided to take up the quiz and the free $50, started on william hill playing micro buy-in mtt's knowing very little strategy, cashed in a few but nothing major, and ended up about $8 down, when i decided to play more seriously and read the strategy articles and play cash games.

Been playing NL2 and then moved to NL4 with some aggressive BRM which backfired and so i moved back down to NL2, probably a break even player atm with variance, had an upswing and now i feel ive been playing ok, not tilting as much, but just not having the run of the cards. Forgot to mention, started off playing 2NL FR, but found it was full of nits, so decided to move to SH as i find there are more fish to exploit.

My graph so far:

My Goals

Short term:
      [ ]Beat NL2
      [ ]Improve my game
      [ ]Post some good hands for analysis

Long term:

[ ]Become higher ranked on PS
      [ ]Become a winning player at NL50/100
      [ ]Play a live tournament (Such as UKIPT)

Glad i finally made this blog so i have somewhere i can record my play and hopefully get some views off other members about certain hands, i have HEM trial but its about to run out, but hopefully i can get elephant working and post some hands.

Also if any1 wants to discuss some strategy or sweat each other, or anything like that add me on skype, my skype is c.keogh93, always happy to improve my game along with other people :)
  • 344 replies
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Silver
      hey man catch you on skype when you're about - i'm sure you'll be out of nl2 soon!
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Ok pal, and cheers for vote of confidence lol, and i shud be ok skype few afternoons this week, wont be on nights cos its FRESHERS!! :D
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Silver
      hey heyyy! i can't be about too much for my freshers week cos i have no money :f_cry:

what you studying? (this will soon become the most annoying question that people will ask you)
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Haha same waiting for my loan first, but hopefully that will come within next few days, and im doin business studies wbu?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Silver
      im doing psychology just goin into my third year (ouch).
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Lol ouch indeed.

Just played a small session, ended up down about $0.2

This was the biggest losing hand if any1 has an opinions on how i played it, not happy with my play here at all:

IPoker Network $2.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1454403
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $2.04 - VPIP: 30, PFR: 5, 3B: 6, AF: 2.7, Hands: 43
      SB: $2.03 - VPIP: 8, PFR: 6, 3B: 0, AF: Infinity, Hands: 48
      BB: $6.73 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 13, 3B: 8, AF: 2.0, Hands: 120
      Hero (UTG): $2.03 - VPIP: 18, PFR: 13, 3B: 2, AF: 2.2, Hands: 18171
      MP: $3.93 - VPIP: 16, PFR: 8, 3B: 0, AF: Infinity, Hands: 25
      CO: $4.28 - VPIP: 30, PFR: 5, 3B: 6, AF: 2.7, Hands: 43

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG with A :spade: Q :club:
      Hero raises to $0.08, 2 folds, BTN calls $0.08, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.19) J :heart: 6 :heart: K :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($0.19) Q :heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.06, Hero calls $0.06

River: ($0.31) Q :spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.16, BTN raises to $0.32, Hero calls $0.16

Was guna give up on flop, should of lead out on the turn tbh, then for some reason i lead river which makes no sense even to me, even then i should fold to raise. horrendous play imo.
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Took some good advice earlier and decided to move back to FR as its kinda easier to play ABC poker than SH, and there is less variance. First session back at FR and i finally booked my first winning session for about a week :)

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come, bed now me thinks :)
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Quick update, been playing well at FR since i moved back i feel, going to post one hand which troubled me and i would like some feedback on it from others.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      UTG2:
      $0.91
      Hero:
      $3.66

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.104 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K:heart: , K:spade:
      UTG2 calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.08, 6 folds, UTG2 calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.19) K:diamond: , Q:club: , 9:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero bets $0.12, UTG2 raises to $0.24, Hero raises to $0.91, UTG2 raises to $0.83 (All-In).

Turn: ($1.93) 5:spade:
      River: ($1.93) 2:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $1.93

Results follow (highlight to see):
      UTG2 shows a straight, king high (Js Td)
      Hero shows three-of-a-kind, kings (Kh Ks)

UTG2 wins with a straight, king high (Js Td)

My thought process is that he is limp/calling preflop, which may indicate weak ace or weak king, possibly pocket pair set-mining.

Flop im betting for value and protection, any any J or any 10 are scare cards for us. He min raises, which im thinking hes hit something, hopefully a set so i have him dominated with my top set, so i decide to ship it in on the flop as there could be alot of scare cards on turn and river.

Quick graph, still small sample size since i moved back to FR as i had some database problems and lost about 16k hands worth of data, so this was kinda a fresh start. Hopefully its not just an upswing :)

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Silver
      hey i recon you played that hand find. i don't think there is any getting away there since he could easily do that with a FD or straight draw, a lower set or 2pair. it sucks the he had the straight but i dont think you can fold in that spot! one thing i would say is just 3bet shove - you're getting it in anyway. even if he just calls your 3bet there you will be getting it in on the turn and best to just ship it on the flop.. i think you're ahead in this spot more often than not but i'm no hand judge! :D
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Think that was basically a 3-bet shove as he had a shorter stack than me, so wen i reraised to 0.91 that would put him all in to call.

And thanks and yeh kinda couldnt get away from that hand lol :D
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Long time no update so here goes, still on FR and it seems to be going ok, moved from WH to Party as their seems to be more fish on there. Not guna post a graph as i only have about 1k hands on party so far. Guna post some hands and any feedback is appreciated. :)

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      UTG1:
      $1.57
      Hero:
      $2

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with K:spade: , Q:club:
      UTG1 calls $0.02, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.10, 3 folds, UTG1 calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.23) Q:spade: , 7:diamond: , 4:spade: (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero bets $0.16, UTG1 calls $0.16.

Turn: ($0.55) 6:spade: (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0.55) J:club: (2 players)
      UTG1 bets $0.42 ?????????

Ok so my thought process during this hand is, standard iso raise preflop.

Flop i bet roughly 3/4 pot as i want value and to protect, turn is an ugly card for me, and i thought if he had hit the flush, which is most likely what hes calling with on the flop, because i dont think he limps AQ preflop, maybe limping QJ or Q10, but apart from that mainly suited aces or small PPs. Im kinda ruling out small PPs hitting a set because i think he would of raised on flop. So i decide to check behind on the turn, i figure another on the river wouldnt be disasterous. I also figured if he did hit the flush he would probably check to me again anyway. So wen he leads out river is he only ever value betting the flush, in which case i should fold? Dont really beat much on this drawy board?

Only thing that threw me was the bet sizing on the river, i would expect someone with the flush to bet smaller, ~0.2-0.3. Posted this hand in the hand evaluation forum aswell so hopefully a judge can give me feedback.

Another hand im not sure about :

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2
      CO:
      $2.33
      BU:
      $3.99

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:club: , 8:club:
      2 folds, CO calls $0.02, BU calls $0.02, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.07) J:heart: , T:club: , 9:diamond: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.03, CO calls $0.03, BU raises to $0.14, Hero calls $0.11, CO folds.

Turn: ($0.38) 3:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.37, Hero calls $0.37.

River: ($1.12) 9:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

Final Pot: $1.12

Results follow (highlight to see):
      BU shows a straight, jack high (8s 7s)
      Hero shows (Kc 8c)

BU wins with a straight, jack high (8s 7s)

with this hand, after being raised on the flop, am i getting correct odds to call, what about the turn, looking back i think i should fold turn as im getting bad odds i think?

Thats it for this update, will try post more in this thread, helps me keep track of my progress and play. :)
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Wow long time no update, been playing nl2 fr which was going well, till i kinda tilted about 3BIs and im basically breakeven, decided to move to nl4 SH where i immediately lost 2BIs and so im unsure what to do now really.

In better news i recently joined an NL2 skype group which is helping my game alot, by having sweat sessions and discussions etc..

• keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Blog hasnt been updated in ages, pretty boring blog atm aswell , so no time like the present to hopefullly get it off and running. :D

Feel like from when i last posted my mindset has improved by about 1000%, kinda hardly ever tilting these days, which for me was a major problem, i used to be able to probably beat nl2, but lose all my winnings due to tilt due to my poor mindset.

Things are going well for me in real life at the min which is probs helping me alot with my mindset, not putting in enough volume as i would like, but busy at uni and going out and stuff.

Guna post a good old giraffe to show my progress (mixture of nl2 and nl5 SH):

Guna try set some goals for march:

:heart: Play 20,000 hands
      :spade: Watch at least 10 videos
      :diamond: Post at least 10 hands for evaluation
      :club: Continue to discuss strategy with skype group

That will do for now, mega bump for this blog :D , never really stuck to my goals before so hopefully will stick to updating these, they may not be the best goals ever set but may be good for me to have at least some goals. Hopefully update again soon :D
    • verneer
      verneer
      Bronze
      Your graph definitely reflects your clear mindset. Keep it up!
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Cheers :D , been reading TwiceTs blog, along with alot of others, and most people seem to say mindset is one major factor to success in poker, so decided to really work on mine, and so far so good ! :D
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      good luck buddy hope to see you at the Nl10 tables very soon :D
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Hey, thanks i hope so too :D

How you finding nl10 yourself, compared with nl5 and nl2?

Time to start the grind today, probs play about 500 hands and have a break, will try post any interesting hands. Watch this space :D
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Before i started playing cash i was a sng/ MTT player so i had experience playing just not in cash, i played a tiny bit of NL5 SH but i sorted skipped Nl2 and Nl5 and just went straight to NL10, FR its pretty soft IMO but i feel that working on my game eg posting hands after every session, looking over hands, and attending coaching has helped massively
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Ahh right ok, you got skype or owt? Maybe discuss some strat etc if your up for it..

May aswell update on my progress while posting, played a small session of about 500 hands, breakeven overall, couple of mistakes probably cost me in some hands, guna post them now:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.02(BB) Replayer
      SB ($2.40)
      Hero ($3.08)
      UTG ($2.28)
      CO ($5.38)
      BTN ($5.55)

Dealt to Hero 3:club: 3:heart:

fold, fold, BTN calls $0.02, SB calls $0.01, Hero raises to $0.10, BTN calls $0.08, SB calls $0.08

FLOP ($0.30) 3:diamond: 9:club: 2:diamond:

SB checks, Hero bets $0.24, BTN folds, SB calls $0.24

TURN ($0.78) 3:diamond: 9:club: 2:diamond: K:club:

SB checks, Hero bets $0.64, SB calls $0.64

RIVER ($2.06) 3:diamond: 9:club: 2:diamond: K:club: 4:club:

SB bets $1.42 (AI), Hero calls $1.42

Villian was 14/7/3.5 over 45 hands

Please feel free to give me feedback

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.05(BB) Replayer
      SB ($11.66)
      BB ($6.18)
      UTG ($2.76)
      UTG+1 ($10.63)
      CO ($5.47)
      Hero ($5.42)

Dealt to Hero 7:heart: A:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.15, SB calls $0.13, fold

FLOP ($0.35) 8:spade: 7:spade: A:spade:

SB checks, Hero bets $0.34, SB raises to $0.68, Hero raises to $5.27 (AI), SB calls $4.59

TURN ($10.89) 8:spade: 7:spade: A:spade: T:heart:

RIVER ($10.89) 8:spade: 7:spade: A:spade: T:heart: Q:heart:

Villian 74/20/0.9 40 hands

Think this is probably the correct call, can any1 give me a range for opponent here?

One thing ive noticed whilst learning and playing poker is that my time management skills are AWFUL :D Any1 else feel like this, for example sometimes i have enough time during day to put in a good 1.5k hands, but find myself ending the day with like a meer 500 hands or something like that, basically cos i get distracted watching tv, and playing fifa whilst in the house :D
      Obviously nowt i can do wen im out, just on about when i have free time in the house.