This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Playing small volume of poker

• Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      I'm in university so I can't play much time, I sometimes even go days without playing. This is really bad though, because I'll stay a lot of time in the same limit and I can never use much time learning and playing poker. It's also difficult to maintain the motivation, because it takes a lot of time to win a significant amount of BIs.

Is anybody in the same situation in terms of time? Is it still possible to evolve my skills this way?
  • 5 replies
    • ReaZoN999
      ReaZoN999
      Bronze
      Quit school.
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Bronze
      I am in a similar situation, working 40hr weeks so i can only usually play about 15k hands/month. On the plus side iv always got an income.. But yeh quit school education is overrated :p
      But seriously, how much do u actually play? Hands/hours/tables? I think a lower volume can still be profitable, if u play a solid game and have good time management
    • iCallSick1
      iCallSick1
      Bronze
      As long as you want to be successful you will find the time ect. to learn and improove!.

You have to want something!

:)

Best of luck to you,

Wish I could be in school, Poker is my life ugh
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dannywratten
      I am in a similar situation, working 40hr weeks so i can only usually play about 15k hands/month. On the plus side iv always got an income.. But yeh quit school education is overrated :p
      But seriously, how much do u actually play? Hands/hours/tables? I think a lower volume can still be profitable, if u play a solid game and have good time management
      I try to play 1 hour a day, at 4 tables in SH (still practicing to open more tables).

In 15K hands you can have a bad result even if you play well, doesn't that make you lose your motivation? When I'm winning I like it, but when I lose I start losing my motivation because I know it might be needed to play for a long time to get the money back
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tosh5457
      Originally posted by dannywratten
      I try to play 1 hour a day, at 4 tables in SH (still practicing to open more tables).

In 15K hands you can have a bad result even if you play well, doesn't that make you lose your motivation? When I'm winning I like it, but when I lose I start losing my motivation because I know it might be needed to play for a long time to get the money back
      I guess it can be pretty bad for motivation, but if i am having losing sessions, then go back over the hands and find a lot of the losses are losing flips/coolers, it kind of gives me motivation because i know these losses arent caused by my play.
      But if i review my hands and find im playing bad that can be discouraging. Then i have a break and study/cool off. Maybe volume isnt really an issue, it might be best to have a break to work on your mindset and study some more and when you do have losing sessions it wont affect your motivation as much?