[NL20-NL50] NL50SH : Set foregone protection

• SonicXT
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)

0.25/0.50 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with T:spade: , T:club:
      MP3 folds, CO calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.50, SB folds, BB raises to $5.50, CO folds, Hero calls $3.00.

Flop: ($11.75) 2:spade: , J:heart: , T:heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $11, Hero calls $11.00.

Turn: ($33.75) 9:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets $74.04 (All-In), Hero raises to $38.43 (All-In).

River: ($146.22) 7:spade:

Final Pot: $146.22

Since he reraised me preflop and put in a strong potsize bet I felt that he was protecting something against something else as well. I haven't had a read on him yet, but the majority of the players were playing some straight forward ABC poker.
      So I just called the flop after using my timer to represent doubt, hoping for a strong turnbet instead of a fold to a reraise here. I know I should protect, but if the opponent are that translucent in their protection and play, can't I forego it like I did here and hope he'll play for stacks instead of me ?

Stats on villain : 87 hands : 32/4/0.2 (that 0.2 kinda reinforced my belief he was protecting himself)
  • 2 replies
    • swissmoumout
      You're often against an overpair here, although you might see JJ once in a while as well, so I don't think it really matters whether you raise or not, he'll just push. Thing is, he might slow down against a heart turn. So I think I'd min-raise or shove here.
    • TribunCaesar
      raise flop, because: a overcard or another :heart: might slow down the action.
      u will get the most Value if u raise the flop. FD, J, or Overpair will call most of the times.