This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL50SH : Set foregone protection

• SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)
      BB:
      $90.54
      Hero:
      $54.93

0.25/0.50 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with T:spade: , T:club:
      MP3 folds, CO calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.50, SB folds, BB raises to $5.50, CO folds, Hero calls $3.00.

Flop: ($11.75) 2:spade: , J:heart: , T:heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $11, Hero calls $11.00.

Turn: ($33.75) 9:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets $74.04 (All-In), Hero raises to $38.43 (All-In).

River: ($146.22) 7:spade:

Final Pot: $146.22

Since he reraised me preflop and put in a strong potsize bet I felt that he was protecting something against something else as well. I haven't had a read on him yet, but the majority of the players were playing some straight forward ABC poker.
      So I just called the flop after using my timer to represent doubt, hoping for a strong turnbet instead of a fold to a reraise here. I know I should protect, but if the opponent are that translucent in their protection and play, can't I forego it like I did here and hope he'll play for stacks instead of me ?

Stats on villain : 87 hands : 32/4/0.2 (that 0.2 kinda reinforced my belief he was protecting himself)
  • 2 replies
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      You're often against an overpair here, although you might see JJ once in a while as well, so I don't think it really matters whether you raise or not, he'll just push. Thing is, he might slow down against a heart turn. So I think I'd min-raise or shove here.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      raise flop, because: a overcard or another :heart: might slow down the action.
      u will get the most Value if u raise the flop. FD, J, or Overpair will call most of the times.

Tribun