[NL2-NL10] AJ MP Overplayed?

• keoghh
      Known players:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.104 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:club: , J:spade:
      Hero raises to $0.06, CO folds, BU calls $0.06, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.15) A:spade: , 9:diamond: , 2:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.08, BU calls $0.08.

Turn: ($0.31) Q:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.18, BU calls $0.18.

River: ($0.67) K:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.38, BU calls $0.38.

Final Pot: $1.43

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Ac Js)
      BU shows two-pair, kings and queens (Kd Qh)

BU wins with two-pair, kings and queens (Kd Qh)

Ok so my thought process is, flop im betting for value, nice flop for AJ. Turn makes some draws possible and looking back i shud have bet alot more ~0.28? Not sure about river, probably betting for value and folding to a re-raise.

Did i overplay this hand, or do i just sigh and say nice hand and carry on?
  • 6 replies
    • w4terman
      well for me the mistake starts at the flop!
      your cbet is really small... like you missed and did a cbet
      i will cbet this flop for around 0.12

now at the turn your bet is also small i bet around .22-.28

now as played at the river i am checking because many draws 2-pair are possible

so for my view you should bet until the turn but bet more and check at the river
    • keoghh
      Ok thanks, i realise now i should have cbet more, but if i bet too high am i not just folding out better hands and only better hands will call as it is a fairly dry board? So i would be playing way ahead/way behind?
    • DrDunne
      i dont think it was overplayed at all man. as w4terman said, bet more! but ye. good thing you were betting small on the river - probably would have only bet about 50% of the pot too because if he raises we can fold but we can still get a bit of value from weaker aces or a straight draw with a pair or something. in a way i think this was under played!

definitely just shrug this off i guess
    • keoghh
      Ok thanks guys, is this just a case of badluck aswell as not making next cards expensive enough that he hit two pair off last two cards.
    • DrDunne
      i recon it's hard to say. in this particular situation you probably played it the best possible way! this person clearly couldn't fold - he probably would have had he not hit a pair on the turn but since he did he was prob willing to call you down to the river with his hand lol. you probably saved money in this particular hand by betting small - but thats not a good way of looking at it. you still should have made it more expensive - he just got lucky on the river.
    • veriz
      Hello keoghh,

Preflop: Standard open-raise would be 4xBB.
      Flop: CBet is way too small ~$0,10 at least. Might even do $0,12.
      Turn: Well, the bet here ain't the greatest either. :) I'd bet ~$0,24 and most likely just Check/Fold the river.

As played
      River: Check/Fold it, I don't really see many worse hands paying or betting here anyways.

Best regards.