• jasonforan
      jasonforan
      Bronze
      Hey I got an email from Pokerstars earlier as follows
      Hello Jason,

Your PokerStars account has been frozen as part of a routine
      review.

An initial review of your account has revealed that you appear to
      be using PokerStars real money services from the United States.

As a result we must ask you now to address the following:

- Where are you currently located?

- On what date did you arrive in the USA?

- Have you used PokerStars' real money services from the USA
      since 15 April, 2011?

- Please provide details about how you connect to PokerStars,
      including the name of your internet service provider and the
      connection type (cable/DSL/etc).

Your account privileges have been suspended pending the outcome
      of our review. Playing on PokerStars during this time will cause
      any such account to be closed and the funds therein confiscated.
      Please respond fully and completely within 48 hours. Your
      cooperation will help to bring the matter to a close promptly.

Regards,

Hugues
      PokerStars Verification Team

So this is what happened I usually use a vpn(routes IP to the US) to watch shows from the US Im currently living in Ireland.Think it was about 2 weeks ago and I forgot to turn off my vpn(I know dumb me :s_cry: ). I signed into PS and a message came up saying they dont accept US players on real money accounts.So I signed out and and closed my vpn and opened up PS again and carried on playing as usual. Just received the email today.Is there a chance my account will be unfrozen do you think?Or should i take this as a bad beat and accept my moneys probably gone? :f_cry: I never actually played any games while on the vpn and also if they could detect my IP was in the US then surely they can see my IP in Ireland aswell and check that i never actually played any games while in thE "US".
  • 20 replies
    • Holdemfreakie
      Holdemfreakie
      Bronze
      Don't worry mate, it will get unfrozed. :) Pokerstars usally take these things fairly well :)
    • TakeManies
      TakeManies
      Bronze
      Just tell them the truth :)
    • jasonforan
      jasonforan
      Bronze
      Hopefully anyway just have to wait and see what they say :s_confused:
    • jasonforan
      jasonforan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TakeManies
      I did just that,as you know poker players dont lie :f_biggrin:
    • Holdemfreakie
      Holdemfreakie
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jasonforan
      Originally posted by TakeManies
      I did just that,as you know poker players dont lie :f_biggrin:
      Only Bluff :f_cool:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey Jason,

I would imagine once you have explained things to them, everything will be ok and you will have your account unfrozen.

Just bare in mind, PokerStars are usually a little slow when dealing with things like this so it may take a few days to get everything sorted. With being the biggest online Poker site out there this is to be expected.

All the best and keep us informed,

Gary
    • pokerwonder1123
      pokerwonder1123
      Basic
      Hey Jason

I recently had the same trouble. How did it go with pokerstars and what did they reply to you?

Anyone else has experience how pokerstars handles vpn?
    • jasonforan
      jasonforan
      Bronze
      Well they basically asked me to send in a copy of my utility bill,bank statement and my passport.I send all the details in and just received an email from them today as follows
      Hello Jason,

Thank you for your email.

We kindly request that you give us more details about why you use
      a VPN?

We appreciate your cooperation in this matter.

Regards,

Sebastien
      PokerStars Verification Team

Dont see why besides when I logged in using a VPN in this incident why they should be worried what I do with a VPN.Last time i checked a VPN isnt illegal or anything.Who knows but I just emailed them with a reply and Im currently waiting on a reply. :s_cry:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey Jason,

Keep us informed please as it may be helpful for our other members.

Hope it works out for you :)

Gary
    • darkprice
      darkprice
      Bronze
      Dont see why besides when I logged in using a VPN in this incident why they should be worried what I do with a VPN.Last time i checked a VPN isnt illegal or anything.Who knows but I just emailed them with a reply and Im currently waiting on a reply. :s_cry:
      They just want to make sure you're not using it for fraud ;) Just give them the info they want and you will most likely get your account back!
    • jasonforan
      jasonforan
      Bronze
      Whooo after 2 weeks my account has finally been unfrozen :s_thumbsup: , been going cold turkey since trying to get my poker fix :f_ugly: .Basically said everything checked out and my explanation was accepted :D ,time to get my freak on at the tables :f_biggrin:
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Awesome news!

Go back and print some $ now, catch up for missed time? :D

Regards,
      Richard
    • jasonforan
      jasonforan
      Bronze
      Didnt quite find the printer yet but im working on it :D Going putting up with Unam at the coaching for an hour and a half :coolface: and then on to the tables with me :s_thumbsup:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Glad to hear it all worked out :)
    • darkprice
      darkprice
      Bronze
      Basically said everything checked out and my explanation was accepted
      Always works ;)
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      thumbsup: , been going cold turkey since trying to get my poker fix :f_ugly:
      I like turkey :D

Glad to hear it worked our Jason!

Ingrid
    • ILuvBeachVB
      ILuvBeachVB
      Bronze
      Hi All,

The exact same thing just happened to me. Pokerstars said that they suspected that I was playing from a USA IP address. Not sure how that is possible, since I thought USA IPs were blocked for playing at Pokerstars. But anyway they requested a bunch of personal info which was a bit unnerving. Bank statement, passport, utility bill. Yikes! Can you say identity theft?!? But I sent it all in anyway and they said it was being forwarded for review to their security team.

I had never played in the USA - I am from Toronto. I occasionally tether my phone to my laptop and use the phone as a modem. So maybe when I did that it came up with some weird IP address - but even that was done within Canada.

A week and a half later they reinstated my account - they accepted my explanation. There was no explanation on their part as to what made them suspicious of my account or even when it happened.

I have to say that I am thinking about moving some of my bankroll elsewhere in case this happens again and they don't accept the explanation next time. I didn't know they could just freeze my account without warning.

My first session back at the tables after 10 days of withdrawal symptoms felt good and I had a nice little upswing, so that felt good too :)

Peace,
      ILuvBeachVB
    • Hpn999
      Hpn999
      Bronze
      Hey guys, something similar happend to me, i play on the pokerstars.uk and was abroad for a few days and logged in to play from my friends computer who uses VPN... When i came back and tried to cash out i was asked to verify my identity by sending the documents. I did and then nothing for 4 days so i sent them an email and got a instant response form the security team saying this:

"Hello Ch*********e,

Your Stars Account has been temporarily suspended as part of a routine review.

It has come to our attention that you are connecting to our site via a VPN, proxy, or similar service. Whilst we do not prohibit the use of such services, we have reason to believe that you may be hiding your true location through them.

All players are required to provide accurate account information as per our Terms of Service:

17.5. The User must provide full and truthful information in respect of all details and information requested by Rational Group Gaming in connection with the User's use of the Service subject at all time to the terms of the Privacy Policy.

The complete Terms of Service are available here:

http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/room/tos/

Please be advised that, on occasion, we may be required to amend the Terms of Service. It is your responsibility to keep up to date with any changes made to the Terms of Service.

In order to verify your current location we would request you access your account without use of the current VPN/proxy you have recently been using, via the computer you used for your most recent login, also explain why the connections came from different countries in this short period of time.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

Alessandro
      Stars Security

So this is what i replied:

Dear Pokerstars,
      I am replying to your mail concerning the quieries you had about my location and connection history. I have done what you asked me and logged on from my computer in england without using a VPN. The reason there was this connection from a VPN was because i was abroad last week and i played from my friends computer. You should be able to verify that this computer i am using now in england was used to create the pokerstars account and first log in when i started playing in the past. This is the first time i have logged in from someone elses computer. It is possible that there were other log ins from the VPN after i played abroad because he might have saved my log in information on his machine (i have told him not to connect again and cancel the log in information). Furthermore, i have attached a copy of my passport and a bank statement that i have sent to the verification team in order to prove my identity and residence.

Hoping this information helps you solve the problem,

Kind regards,

K***

What do you guys think will happend? I am kind of worried, i have read some similar stories on the net and most of them got their money/account back... But there is a possibility stars will seize the funds and shut down the account... I can prove to them that i am a UK based player without any doubt, but they might not let it go that easily because of the VPN connection that came in a short time from different countries....

I apreciate your replies since i am lost and waiting for pokerstars response...
    • rompas
      rompas
      Hi Hpn999,

Its hard to say what will happened,, but you gave them your explanation of the incident and i assume they now looking thru your account to determine if everything is ok.. its really nothing i can say that will ease your worry now,, you just have to wait and hope for the best.

Let us know how it turned out and i do hope it ends good for you.

Regards/ Rompas