lost password

• sherriffatman
      sherriffatman
      Silver
      Hi, I've not used the elephant for a while and having updated, I have forgotten my password and cannot login as a result. (tried my usual p/ws)
      I found the config files as in the FAQ section but cannot open them as my pc suspects they may be corrupted- have deleted them but still can't login.
      I am confused as to what to do next - can anyone help please?
      do i need to uninstall postgreSQL?
      (using windows xp, postgreSQL 8.3, and latest version of elephant - dwnloaded 11/09)
      afaik postgre was downloaded through elephant
      I am very limited in "techy" knowledge so apologise if this is simple to others or has been covered elsewhere, but I could really do with someone's help to get this sorted.
      Cheers in advance,
      ?(
  • 5 replies
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      Hey sherriffatman,

open up your control panel -> administrative tools -> services.
      Find the postgreSQL service and stop it.

Open up your postgreSQL directory, search for a file called: "pg_hba.conf". Open it via rightclick -> notepad.

Scroll down and find 2 lines with "md5" at the end.
      Change the "md5" to "trust" and save the file.

Start the postgreSQL service again. You can now enter any password or no password at all and it will be accepted.

Let me know if you need further help.
    • sherriffatman
      sherriffatman
      Silver
      hi mrk, thanks for that - but it still doesn't seem to work - I am in as "no user" but still prompted to create new db
      (HHs are configuring, but it won't let me create new db)
      I have tried various usernames but none accepted - it says either "role does not exist" or transport connection lost.
      Any ideas,please?
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      Hey,

you will need to use the correct username created during the postgreSQL installation process.

To find out the correct user open up a command line (Start -> run -> 'cmd' -> and hit the return key), type "net user" and press return once again.

You should see a list with different windows users and one of them is your postgreSQL service account. Use this username to create a new database. (password does not matter).
    • sherriffatman
      sherriffatman
      Silver
      :D - thanks a lot, Markus
      - been away for a week and just sorted it now.
      have created new database and is updating/importing now as was "outdated" apparently
      my experience with elephant has been sketchy as my pc doesn't seem to like it, but I will give it another go and see how i get on - can't grumble when it's free
      thx again, sheriff
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      :s_thumbsup: