Pre Flop: ($0.09) Hero has Q:spade: Q:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.24, fold, BB calls $0.18

Flop: ($0.51, 2 players) 7:club: Q:club: 8:heart:
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.35, BB calls $0.35

Turn: ($1.21, 2 players) 9:club:
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.21, 2 players) J:spade:
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.90, BB calls $0.90

Hero shows Q:spade: Q:diamond: (Three of a Kind, Queens) (Pre 70%, Flop 96%, Turn 82%)
      BB mucks A:club: Q:heart: (One Pair, Queens) (Pre 30%, Flop 4%, Turn 18%)
      Hero wins $2.84

Turn: What do u think about check behind and pot control?
  • 4 replies
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Wouldnt check behind on the turn, because he may easily have a :club: in his hand, and so you dont want to give away a free card because if another club hits, you only really beat a bluff, and you would only be turning your hand into a bluff, i would bet~$1.1, making the next card expensive, and looking at his hand i think he would of called a bet on turn and river if no club obv. Also he could have some sort of OESD, so you would need to make the next card expensive.

Do you really need to pot control? Think im willing to get my money in on flop or turn.

Interesting to see what virez tinks about this intersting hand :)

Btw, not having a go at you in any way, just trying to help with your play :)
    • amightypirate
      amightypirate
      Bronze
      Originally posted by keoghh
      Wouldnt check behind on the turn, because he may easily have a :club: in his hand, and so you dont want to give away a free card because if another club hits, you only really beat a bluff....
      Right. But the reason we bet the turn is to get value from his club draws (and stubborn one pairs, two pairs, straight draws etc) not because we are afraid of being outdrawn and want him to fold.
    • UnknownJoseph
      UnknownJoseph
      Bronze
      Thanks guys for respond!!!
      I've just been looking for new ways of playing sets.
      Turn card was very bad for me because flush and many combination of straights completed so it was the reason why I decided to play check behind and see for free river card. Also I didn't want to be RR on this ugly board. Moreover I saw hand in polish evaluation forum where hero did check behind in very similar situation.
      edit. and coach didn't say that it was bad play.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello BGawli,

Well, actually here are both lines possible. If we knew the opponent then we could as well even bet. But the question is if we can get out 3streets of value here? Rather doubt that unless we hit our FH.

For that reason while couple of draws even completed Checking behind on turn is totally fine.

Best regards.