NL200sss downswing.

• ajfonso
      ajfonso
      Bronze
      Hey everybody,

I would like to whine a little bit. I have played more then 100k hands already but did not have a very good start. about a month ago I managed to rise in stakes very quickly playing 100NLsss whith 600$ br. I went up to 1200. After that I smashed down totally back to 400$ All bad beats... No AA could stand. everything went wrong. So horrible...

I finished 1st a week later in the 180 man sng 4,40 for 216$ and started to play 25NL which went pretty good. The tables were soft and I went up little by little. With 1kbr I started to play 50NLbs. This was really good. Tables were also very soft and I managed to get a 1500 BR.

Last week I started a session 200NLsss. I played following all the rules and still I got badbeathed very hard. Stack by stack down. I stopped at 1010 en went on playing 50NLbs again went up to 1200.

Last night I started a session 200NLsss again. Result is br back to 660 :( I just don't understand how hard variance is. I have played more then 15K sss hands on 200NL and went down hard.

I have no statistics and graphs because I still don't have pt but Im very sure I'm running bad as hell.

anybody tips on what to do now???
  • 11 replies
    • drachdudek
      drachdudek
      Bronze
      Hi

I have the similar problem on NL100. I am playing SSS and from NL10 - NL50 everything went well and on NL100 also in the beginning. I came to a bankroll 1200$ but last weak it was a disaster i fall down to 600$....:( now i am back to 800$..anway my opinion is that playing SSS on higher limits is much much more difficult and you must include a lot of modifications in the game and use special play conditions and play REALLY YOUR BEST PLAY.

Special or additional conditions are like stealling, floating, re-stealing, loosing a little bit, table layouts etc...and i think also using a reads, what is in my case very very difficult, as if you are multitabling you dont have time checking PT or having PAHud...

I noticed that discipline is also very important and also the time of play (afternoon GMT or early in the morning GMT)...

I hope i will go up, otherwise i am seriously thinking to change to BSS.

Maybe some other SSS experts (Xylere and others) will be also able to comment some of my thoughts and maybe gave some suggestions, it will be helpfull also for me ;)
    • ajfonso
      ajfonso
      Bronze
      No it's not that. Outplaying those guys preflop is easy. Just check the stats en raise accordingly but.. everytime I lose coinflips loose when I'm ahead it is just so sick. I played so sick many hands and still keep losing those good hands against bad ones. KQ preflop raise Q9 calls Q9X flop of course...

I went from 1500 to about 1k thats -500 and from 1200 to 700 thats - 500 so -$1000 = 25 stacks.... so sick...
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      So according to what you say you are doing pretty good with the BSS and then you wanted to have some SSS sessions.
      And my question to you is : Are you insane ? =]
    • ajfonso
      ajfonso
      Bronze
      I can easily play 16 tablessss 2-2.

So if I make at least 2bb/100 i can have about 3$/hour (per table)

3x 16 = 48$/hour....

If I play BSS I can play a max of 12 tabels properly.. 50NL is 0,50 and I think I have a good winrate lets saty minimum of 5bb/100.... 3,5$/hour per table

3,5 x 12 = 42$/hour....

I was kind of tired so I guess playing SSS was a bit easier. Is it so bad???

(btw somehow I do not win these amounts anyway.. Maybe downswing maybe really leaks.. but sss im sure downswing. 50NL I don't know.

btw I really respect your acomplishments so far!
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      Well since you are going to make the jump from SSS to BSS eventually anyway(if you wanna start playing actual poker) i dont see any reason for going back.
      Of course its just a personal opinion , doesnt necessarily mean that its a bad thing.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      did you play fullring BSS? If so, why not give SH a shot? It's fishier and more interesting imo
    • ajfonso
      ajfonso
      Bronze
      I play both fr and sh.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Let SSS be what it is, something for beginners.
      I can't feel bad for people who're in a downswing with SSS, serves y'all right with due respect :P

If you're good postflop, play BSS FR.
      If you're even better postflop, play BSS SH TAG.
      If you master postflop, play BSS SH sLAG.
      Bronze
      NL100 is fishy, at least at party. It's pretty easy to maintain 5-10BB / 100 there. Of course PA provides help (I don't understad why can't you use it while multitabling. I'm comfortable with 12 tables and PA). Of course xarry2's and xylere's posts provides help.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      drachdudek, I wouldn`t even think of switching to BSS, if you can`t beat NL 100 with a short stack. What you mentioned is a bit too much for NL 100. Basic strategy + solid stealing strategy should be enough to beat it. Post hand, review your play...

Advanced SSS is very swingy, so what you are described is quite typical and standard.

You won`t become a good poker player, playing with a short stack, but you will master pre-flop equity concept, if you can make it up to NL 1k.
    • drachdudek
      drachdudek
      Bronze
      Xylere, forget about my post...I was thinking a lot last week about SSS and what can be done and i made some calculations, was dealing with some stats and statistics and made some "upgrade version of SSS strategy" which is very similar to what you were writtingin your blogs and in threads and what should be done and how to play and also include some other additional conditions into play and after 24k i am on +1,3PTBB/100 and all my upswing was made in the last week...I wouldnt say that i develop something what can be integrated in the PS strategy as i have to really test it for >100k hands...I will writte something about that tomorrow in my blog also i ll show some stats of my progress, but as far as it seems it really works fine for me:)