Almost as fast as my new car...

• 10 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Bet Usain Bolt would still win! :D

This, if correct, will change the way the world works. Weird and a little disconcerting, to have ones beliefs challenged so fundamentally. ?(
    • z4tz
      z4tz
      Bronze
      Question is how much it actually would change of what we know of. Since all we have seen before this isn't moving faster than the speed of light most our current theories will still be valid to a major extent.
      And it's not like the world is going to fall apart or change just because we discover something new.
      If it's true i think it's gonna be very exciting but it's not gonna change anything in the near future :)
    • tofu22
      tofu22
      Bronze
      one theory is that they don't really go faster then the speed of light the y just find short cuts through other dimentions.

near future probably not, but since a lot of todays gadgets and tech come from discoveries at cern this could still have a profound impact.
    • Steelbrewer
      Steelbrewer
      Bronze

Even if it it true I don't see any practical implementation of this knowledge.

problems scientists? :coolface:
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by z4tz
      Question is how much it actually would change of what we know of. Since all we have seen before this isn't moving faster than the speed of light most our current theories will still be valid to a major extent.
      And it's not like the world is going to fall apart or change just because we discover something new.
      If it's true i think it's gonna be very exciting but it's not gonna change anything in the near future :)

Yeah this ^^

While if proven it will be the biggest scientific discovery for a long time i don't think anything will change suddenly still its exciting to see what happens :)
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      Originally posted by z4tz

Yeah this ^^

While if proven it will be the biggest scientific discovery for a long time i don't think anything will change suddenly still its exciting to see what happens :)
      If I understand it correctly. It will invalidate the theory of relativity in which nothing can go faster than the speed of light. The problem is that so many physics assumptions are based on this theory.
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Originally posted by tofu22
      one theory is that they don't really go faster then the speed of light the y just find short cuts through other dimentions.

near future probably not, but since a lot of todays gadgets and tech come from discoveries at cern this could still have a profound impact.
      by definition, that means 'faster' thought, right?

because if I can get to the shops quicker than you can by taking the shortcut through the park then I'm faster that you, surely?

Megaexcited about this news. I'm a huge physics nerd... in fact I'm still reading this bad boy
    • bbosstjan
      bbosstjan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MarcPS

because if I can get to the shops quicker than you can by taking the shortcut through the park then I'm faster that you, surely?

Not really. That only means that you came quicker that he did, due to shorter distance, but your speed was not necessarily higher.
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Originally posted by bbosstjan
      Originally posted by MarcPS

Not really. That only means that you came quicker that he did, due to shorter distance, but your speed was not necessarily higher.
      oh yeah....

right :D

I stand corrected ;)
    • IhasLuck
      IhasLuck
      Bronze
      I disagree with people telling this wouldn't change much... If it gets proven and scientists put their minds to it find out more stuff about it, we could see very rapid technological advances in the future