This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Playing AGAINST sets.

• nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Ok so this is one of my biggest issues so far.

The amount of money im losing against other players sets is huge. Im talking NL2-NL10 here. Now to be more emphatic i got used to play around a huge amount of tables. That big volume made me have the "instinct" that a villain is at this time, holding a set.

Made some discipline laydowns, but sometimes i found myself in a no-fold spot, and my read was wrong and player was either holding a overpair (lower than mine), or anything like that.

My question is, how do you guys have a position over trips? What info on the player you take account to make yourself believe that he has it?

Oh just to make clear here, i am talking about usually, 3betted pots, where villain is oop. (FR & SH).
  • 8 replies
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      thought process:

did villain limp?

did villain flat a raise?

how does villain play on flop with broadways.

how does villain play on flop/turn when he has a small pair and hits/misses etc?

does villain flat 3bets with sets or 4bet them vs your player type?
    • MathhNes
      MathhNes
      Bronze
      Readless i just believe him. I don't believe him only if i have a reason not to
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Ask him in chat.
    • petrasb
      petrasb
      Bronze
      in micros villains tend to minraise with sets. if before they were rerising X3 and then on a rainbowy flop they minraise your cbet - its set probably.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by petrasb
      in micros villains tend to minraise with sets. if before they were rerising X3 and then on a rainbowy flop they minraise your cbet - its set probably.
      +1

check it: min raise data analysis

obviously doesn't just apply to minraising but standard raising too. this is a pretty enlightening read. helped my game out and confirmed a lot of suspicions!
    • gxtwo
      gxtwo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      +1

obviously doesn't just apply to minraising but standard raising too. this is a pretty enlightening read. helped my game out and confirmed a lot of suspicions!
      pretty decent read.

thanks mate :f_thumbsup:
    • Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      +1

This is amazing. I'm always having a look through 2+2 and rarely find something this constructive. Very nice link!
    • CrocHunter
      CrocHunter
      Bronze
      Yeah I find the min raise is a deffinite tell of a set with low cards on the board. Another obviouse tell is when villan calls/min raise the BB pre flop you raise then villan calls your raise. Flop comes dry or semi dry all low cards if villian all of a sudden bets or raises you on the flop or turn with all cards less then a 10 you better get ready to fold those aces.