Playing AGAINST sets.

• nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Ok so this is one of my biggest issues so far.

The amount of money im losing against other players sets is huge. Im talking NL2-NL10 here. Now to be more emphatic i got used to play around a huge amount of tables. That big volume made me have the "instinct" that a villain is at this time, holding a set.

Made some discipline laydowns, but sometimes i found myself in a no-fold spot, and my read was wrong and player was either holding a overpair (lower than mine), or anything like that.

My question is, how do you guys have a position over trips? What info on the player you take account to make yourself believe that he has it?

Oh just to make clear here, i am talking about usually, 3betted pots, where villain is oop. (FR & SH).
  • 8 replies
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      thought process:

did villain limp?

did villain flat a raise?

how does villain play on flop with broadways.

how does villain play on flop/turn when he has a small pair and hits/misses etc?

does villain flat 3bets with sets or 4bet them vs your player type?
    • MathhNes
      MathhNes
      Bronze
      Readless i just believe him. I don't believe him only if i have a reason not to
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Ask him in chat.
    • petrasb
      petrasb
      Bronze
      in micros villains tend to minraise with sets. if before they were rerising X3 and then on a rainbowy flop they minraise your cbet - its set probably.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by petrasb
      in micros villains tend to minraise with sets. if before they were rerising X3 and then on a rainbowy flop they minraise your cbet - its set probably.
      +1

check it: min raise data analysis

obviously doesn't just apply to minraising but standard raising too. this is a pretty enlightening read. helped my game out and confirmed a lot of suspicions!
    • gxtwo
      gxtwo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      +1

obviously doesn't just apply to minraising but standard raising too. this is a pretty enlightening read. helped my game out and confirmed a lot of suspicions!
      pretty decent read.

thanks mate :f_thumbsup:
    • Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      +1

This is amazing. I'm always having a look through 2+2 and rarely find something this constructive. Very nice link!
    • CrocHunter
      CrocHunter
      Bronze
      Yeah I find the min raise is a deffinite tell of a set with low cards on the board. Another obviouse tell is when villan calls/min raise the BB pre flop you raise then villan calls your raise. Flop comes dry or semi dry all low cards if villian all of a sudden bets or raises you on the flop or turn with all cards less then a 10 you better get ready to fold those aces.