[NL2-NL10] NL2 Top pair against a draw

• Krishjanis
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, A.
      UTG1 calls $0.02, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 calls $0.02, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.10, BB folds, UTG1 calls $0.08, MP2 calls $0.08, MP3 folds.

Flop: ($0.34) Q, J, 4 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.16, UTG1 folds, MP2 calls $0.16.

Turn: ($0.66) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.18, MP2 calls $0.18.

River: ($1.02) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $3.24, Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.02.

The guy actually had 89o, I have no idea why it is not showing up in written part, but is showing at the playback.
      So should I have raised pre-flop? Maybe it was better to just limp? One mistake I see, is that I raised so small on the turn, giving him odds to call for an OESD. But how about my half a pot bet on flop? Should I go for 2/3 of the pot or even pot it? I just have noticed that half the pot does the same job, if they have a hand they won't let it go and I'm not making the pot too big.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello Krishjanis,

First of all just taking a look at your hand, you have a leak in bet/raise sizes. I would definitely read some article about it. You have to fix it. In long run you either ain't betting enough for value or not protecting enough.

Preflop: I don't like that much the small raise here, there are so many limpers and we are OOP. Definitely have to raise it bigger ~8xBB.

As played
      Flop: CBet size is way too small here, ~$0,26 should be fine.
      Turn: The same goes for the bet here, way too small bet, ~$0,50 would be mine and would protect enough your hand from draws.

As played
      River: Well, Not much you can do.

Best regards.