[NL2-NL10] Top Pair Top Kicker, could I have got more?

• Chromehead
      Chromehead
      Bronze
      Ongame Network $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em - 8 players - View hand 1457949
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $3.40
      SB: $3.96
      BB: $1.00
      UTG: $2.93
      UTG+1: $4.04
      MP1: $3.50
      MP2: $2.34
      Hero (CO): $3.90

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero is CO with A:heart: Q:diamond:
      UTG calls $0.04, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.04, Hero raises to $0.14, 2 folds, BB calls $0.10, UTG calls $0.10, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.48) Q:club: 2:diamond: T:spade: (3 players)
      BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $0.34, BB folds, UTG folds

Final Pot: $0.48
      Hero mucks A:heart: Q:diamond:
      Hero wins $0.45
      (Rake: $0.03)

I know I didn't raise enough preflop but on the flop could I have got then to stay in with a check, for a bigger bet later?
      What do you think?
  • 4 replies
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      I'm evaluating because I need a homework for the NL Beginners course.
      I think, you got the maximum out after the flop. Well you could have raised pre-flop more and try to pick up the pot there. But after the flop they both checked to you, so you either bet or check and check here I think is too dangerous, just because with 2 people in the pot and and OESD on the flop, you could check and if a J or K comes then what are you doing? Because of the little pre-flop raise they had to call, they easily could have hands like JK, KT, K9s, QK, so there are many possibilities they can improve on the turn, and you only have a pair, they can easily hit two pair or get their straight, or they can hit a straight draw or flush draw and then they will stick around and you have to hope they don't draw out on you. I think you did the right thing by betting and not giving them a cheap next card.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Chromehead,

Preflop: Well, the first big mistake comes here. You definitely have to raise it bigger ~$0,24 at least.

As played
      Postflop: Well, not much to add, CBet size seems to be fine.

Best regards.
    • Chromehead
      Chromehead
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Krishjanis
      I'm evaluating because I need a homework for the NL Beginners course.
      I think, you got the maximum out after the flop. Well you could have raised pre-flop more and try to pick up the pot there. But after the flop they both checked to you, so you either bet or check and check here I think is too dangerous, just because with 2 people in the pot and and OESD on the flop, you could check and if a J or K comes then what are you doing? Because of the little pre-flop raise they had to call, they easily could have hands like JK, KT, K9s, QK, so there are many possibilities they can improve on the turn, and you only have a pair, they can easily hit two pair or get their straight, or they can hit a straight draw or flush draw and then they will stick around and you have to hope they don't draw out on you. I think you did the right thing by betting and not giving them a cheap next card.
      Thanks for your input Krishjanis, I appreciate it. I'm on the NL BSS course too!. I've found even just running through hand histories looking for hands to have evaluated has helped me , and of course Veriz's help (Thanks Veriz!) .I think looking at the sessions i've been through and reading other peoples evaluations (including your's) it seems to me one of the biggest leaks is not with what hands are played, but bet sizing. I Must be more aggressive with strong hands!!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      That's why posting hands really helps. :) Thanks also for the kind words, good luck on the tables and I will be waiting for more hands of yours.