dollarihai

• dollarihai
      dollarihai
      Bronze
      Greetings,

I started playing in Party Poker at the start of this month (September) thanks to the $50 that Pokerstrategy.com provided me. Before that I've only played poker unprofessionally.

Now I play Texas Hold'em at the lowest limit (NL2). During the first days I lost about $10 of the $50 I had, but since then I've been able to keep my money level stable - not winning but also not losing anymore.

Today I noticed that I've been promoted to silver status, and therefore get access to all kinds of new articles :D I'm looking forward to earning the gold status soon and rising to $100 in equity.

dollarihai
  • 4 replies
    • dollarihai
      dollarihai
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

-I want to see how good I am against other people in a serious game of intelligence. Serious, because the game is about real money.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

-Probably bluffing too often with big pots. I often get impatient if I don't get noticeable results fast.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

-Tight means carefully selecting only good hands to play. Aggressive means forcing the other player to make difficult decisions and that way to make mistakes.
    • dollarihai
      dollarihai
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

Generally speaking, my played hands strongly depend on what opponents I have. Against tight opponents, I play more hands, against loose opponents, I stick to the SHC.

When on the button, I play generally more loose-aggressive than in other positions. I raise also with Kx suited, with suited cards with one card value in between and from 4 upwards, and with unsuited connectors.

When on the cutoff, I play like on the button, presumed the player clockwise next to me is tight. Otherwise I stick to the SHC.

Playing more loose against tight opponents is a good idea, because they are easily brought to fold, presumed they have not hit anything good. Playing more loose-aggressive in late position is good, because then I have position to my opponents and can assess their hand strength better before making an important decision, such as whether to put money into the pot and how much.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

NL2 BSS ATs in MP2

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

The equity of AKo against this range is 46.32%.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Impatience is actually a huge leak for a lot of poker players. You have to find yourself a way how you gonna ignore it or make it disappear. Try every time remind yourself! Forcing into your life to be more patient in any activity you do, not only poker. Force! Force! Force! Always remind what you came to do and the patience will just help you earning more salary not the opposite. With more and more practice you will get used to it and might even stop being impatient.

About bluffing I would just say that I would strongly advice not to bluff on smaller stacks. You just have rarely fold equity there. Rather try to avoid them and play just some solid poker and do find value-spots. Also to get the understanding where you overplayed your bluff you could try posting hands which you already started to do. :)

Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

But it already seems that you get the point when to play more aggressively and where not. Just don't overvalue your TP type of hands when you hit against loose-passive player. This is a common leak.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.