What do you think of Poker Tracker?

• deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      Just installed it for the trail 'cos I've heard some positive things about it and I'm up for using any tool that may improve my game. Do you find it useful? Is it worth that investment? I see that downloading the full version is about $90, which seems a little harsh to me (haven't used it yet tho). Do those who have used it feel like it's paid for itself?
  • 10 replies
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Very much worth the money, use the trial first tho should last you a good while, also pokerstrategy have a similar software which is free called elephant. :)
    • Yoshimitsu77
      Yoshimitsu77
      Bronze
      Holdem manager>Pokertracker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Holdemfreakie
      Holdemfreakie
      Bronze
      Just brought Hold'em Manager for 76$ with the pokerstrategy bonus code. i also used the trial for pokertracker before i brought HM. i just think HM brings something more then pokertracker - it's also cheaper :) ) + if you buy HM manager now you get a free upgrade to HM2! :) so i would go with HM
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      I really like pokertracker and i find it slightly easier to use than holdem manager but overall i do still prefer holdem manager but im not sure why :f_biggrin: as soon as you start to use it you will realise that it is well worth the investment.

If you dont want to pay out for either just yet, like keoghh said, we have our own software thats free to download and use, and whilst it isnt as advanced as PT or HEM it definately does the job at the micro stakes you can find extra info including download and installation instructions for elephant here: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/9/

All the best
      Carl
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      we have our own software thats free to download and use, and whilst it isnt as advanced as PT or HEM it definately does the job at the micro stakes you can find extra info including download and installation instructions for elephant here: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/9/

All the best
      Carl
      -A free analysis tool with extensive statistical features
      - A live display of important values at the poker table as you play
      - Avoid costly mistakes in your own game
      - Recognise patterns in your opponent's game

the PokerStrategy.com Elephant is an mighty analysis tool. It imports and analyses your played hands. Additionally, it displays stats of the players sitting at your tables, which makes it easier for you to read and react to their actions accordingly.

You can download it from [URL=http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/9/[/URL]here[/URL].

A little help of how to install it from here.

And we also prepared a little FAQ for our members in case of questions.

Enjoy :heart:
      Ingrid
    • SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      PokerTracker is a finished, polished product that works properly and is well worth the investment.

Holdem Manager looks shit ( I don't know how they are not embarrassed to put something like that for sale), but HUD is more user friendly (although it looks like it has been done by IT student on a hungover day).

You can get the same info out of the both programs, but HM will be easier for beginner imho.

PokerTracker is leaps and bounds ahead of HM in database management.

In the ideal world I would use Poker Tracker with filters and HUD from HM.

All in all PokerTracker seems to be done by good programmers who take pride in what they do and statisticians, HManager - by shitty, lazy programmers who know how to play poker. So HM is better than PT, but not by much.

I currently use Holdem Manager daily, but for nice graphs, statistics and analysis I download everything into PokerTracker once a month.
    • darkpenance0
      darkpenance0
      Bronze
      I'm not really a fan of trackers, Personally I think it makes players lazy, they start relying on the tracker rather than their own reading abilities and I think in the long run this has a detrimental effect on your game, it just takes the purity out of it, you'd never find Doyle Brunson using a tracker. :]
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by darkpenance0
      I'm not really a fan of trackers, Personally I think it makes players lazy, they start relying on the tracker rather than their own reading abilities and I think in the long run this has a detrimental effect on your game, it just takes the purity out of it, you'd never find Doyle Brunson using a tracker. :]
      Of course you can make money without it but i think its an essential tool why not use everything you can to get the biggest edge on your opponents?

Tracking software is great for so many reasons the first reason is it helps you find leaks in your own game. Forget about using it to get reads on others and think about how you can use it to better yourself. It records every single one of your hands which you can later review in detail and see how you played and how you can improve your play in a similar spot the next time. It shows you all your stats from any period of time 1 session, 2 weeks lifetime whatever you can check you % for lets say fold to steal. Are you letting people push you off your hands too much in the blinds do you need to bring your resteal % up.

What about when you open raise how is your fold to 3bet% have people noticed its high and are 3betting you alot maybe you should play back a bit more.

So as well as looking at your own stats you ofc get the HUD on your game screen where you can see everyone elses stats in real time now as you mentioned people relying on stats too much. I think ONE of the things that seperates good players and bad/avg players is that when a good player uses a HUD stats are one of many things taken into consideration when deciding to bet/fold/call. I agree with you that some players do just end up relying on stats but with a little practise i think tracking software is a plus for anyone
    • darkpenance0
      darkpenance0
      Bronze
      oh sure I can see the benefit of it but its just not something I like, call me a purist or whatever but I like to rely on my own reading abilities of others and of myself.

Each to his own.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by darkpenance0
      oh sure I can see the benefit of it but its just not something I like, call me a purist or whatever but I like to rely on my own reading abilities of others and of myself.

Each to his own.
      Yeh of course :)

It's just so much harder to get actual solid reads/tells on people playing online esp if you are multi tabling. You can take notes until your fingertips bleed but you still wont have numbers in front of you that when used along side your own reads and notes can be so much more accurate.

I know a few people that play without the HUD but it would still be great for you/anyone to use tracking software to help you review your game more efficiantly and improve and move up stakes quicker even if you dont use the HUD :s_cool: