[NL2-NL10] nl2 - Should I have folded AA on the river?

• pea1984
      Known players:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:spade: , A:club:
      2 folds, CO calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.09, 2 folds, CO calls $0.07.

CO limps then calls my raise.
        Im putting him on pocket pair or AJ+

Flop: ($0.21) 4:heart: , 4:club: , 3:diamond: (2 players)
      CO bets $0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, CO calls $0.08.

I think safe flop here and the min bet doesn't worry me as this player does this almost every time he sees a flop so I raise.
        Looking back now maybe I should have raised more? But I think im ahead so didn't want to bet so much that he folds his PP or A high.

Turn: ($0.41) 7:heart: (2 players)
      CO bets $0.02, Hero raises to $0.24, CO calls $0.22.

Again the min bet doesn't worry me so I raise for value (again maybe I should raise more here?). When he calls I'm putting him on a pair. I think if he has 33 or 44 he would bet more even re-raise me. Ace high I think he folds now.

River: ($0.89) 5:heart: (2 players)
      CO bets $0.89, Hero calls $0.89.

This pot size bet now confuses me, all the way through iv been sure I was way ahead, now all of a sudden the big bet from him.
        I can't think what he has got that he would call me all the way down with and then suddenly lead out on the river, I cant make sense of it so I call.

Final Pot: $2.67

Results follow (highlight to see):
      CO shows a flush, ace high (Ah Qh)
      Hero shows (As Ac)

CO wins with a flush, ace high (Ah Qh)

Looking at this now I think I should have folded on the river, his pot sized bet should have sounded the alarm bells. Although I was never putting him on a Flush, maybe 55 or 66 which would have hit on the river.

What do you think?
  • 4 replies
    • denetomtom
      Hi pea1984

From villan stats he seems very loose/pasive player51/2 he also plays too many hands postflop but seems to suck out quite alot 38/56 (stack 5.43)

Those my initial thoughts.

The hand:
      Preflop with his initial call he could be holding anything in range

Against this range you are crushing him with your AA (92%).
      Just because he called your flop raise why do you narrow down his range so much? look at hands above, he not going to fold any suited braodway.

Bet sizing on flop I would make it much larger to protect hand say 15 to 18c

Turn bet I also think is too small should have been at least 30 to make it expensive for draws because now we have 2 hearts on board

River comes and bang, another heart, if he was drawing he just made it. Another suck out thats how he plays (stat38/56)

Its hard to do but I think it should be a fold, (cowers behind sofa waiting for abuse to stop LOL).

Anyway be interesting to hear what Veriz has to say.

Regards Dene
    • yaxkukmian
      Preflop: Raise 5bb, he seems loose and is probably even calling 6bb raise. I would however raise to normal 10c.

Flop: He donks and as you stated, you're not worried. Flop is quite dry but you have an opportunity to charge him if he has PP. He calls you with any 55+ and maybe even with some overcards like KQ or Ax. I would raise to $0,15.

Turn: Another low card comes and he wants to see cheap showdown. Again I'm putting him on low to middle PP. I would raise more to let's say $0,32. Backdoor flush is not that likely but you want to be paid out from worse hands.

River: Backdoor is here and he donks big. What was he calling us with? I was putting him on PP all the way. Let's see which PP we beat? only 88-TT. All other beat us and JJ+ he probably rereaises preflop or plays differently on flop and turn. Fact that he bets big indicates to me, that he's comfortable, so I would exclude 88 and 99. He might have some FH or even straight. We beat almost nothing now, since I don't believe he's donk/calling us with pure air. Also there might be even flush possible. With so many hand combinations beating us out there I don't think calling here is good. It's hard to fold overpair against such a player but we should learn to do so.
    • veriz
      Hello pea1984,

Flop: Don't really understand the idea behind your raise size? I mean you want to get value? Then rather raise it bigger ~$0,20 would be at least mine. :)
      Turn: Well, I would pretty much say the same. If I want to raise it here then I would also raise it bigger than make it that smallish. Or either way while 56 completed/FH possible I might even take pot control line.

As played
      River: You can easily fold the hand here, any 6x now beats you/FD beats you/FH beat you. You don't beat much vs pot size bet here.

Best regards.
    • pea1984
      Thanks for the feedback, it's all appreciated.
      I agree with the comments, I should be raising bigger here and when he pots it after the river I should be thinking "what am I actually beating"
      At the time it was a close my eyes and call moment which I need to get away from. I knew I was beat, it should be an easy fold.
      If i looked at this hand and I was giving advice to someone else I would say to fold on the river, easy. SO very different when im playing though. A leak I am trying to plug.