Bronze
      Hey I'm just starting beginners course. I have a bit of experience playing the lowest limits and have moved up from NL2 to NL4 on ladbrokes using the 25 buy-in guide. This took me around 45 hours generally playing 4 tables with no HUD. I have watched plenty of Hasenbraten's videos and read the bronze articles in the BSS strategy section. Looking forward to advancing my game........
  • 49 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello 0744379,

Great to have you in the Course. :) Hopefully you will also start with the lecture and post homeworks. If you have any questions about poker or the course or whatsoever, don't hesitate to ask.

Best of Luck in the course!
      Bronze
      Thanks Veriz, my name is Kevin by the way. Anyway here is my homework for week one.

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

Firstly I love playing the game because of the strategic and analytical elements. I enjoy pitting my wits against other players and want to be the best player at any table I play at. I also enjoy making money playing a game I enjoy which isn't the case with most hobbies or even professions.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I can be prone to tilt especially against a player I perceive to be weaker than me. This results in unnecessary raises, loss of discipline and overplaying of hands. I can also lose concentration after a certain time playing but will still continue to play. I sometimes struggle to make sense of a hand when multitabling especially if I'm involved in a couple of hands at once.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Playing tight aggressive means to make raises with strong hands pre-flop so as to take inititive in the hand as this is a major advantage in later streets. It also means folding weak or unplayable hands and being aware of position at all times especially pre-flop.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better. This will also provide you the protection from the raises/calls and loss of discipline. :)

Lack of concentration is a common leak for beginners. They just play with music, watching TV, reading forums. But those kind of distractions really will just make you loose more money. Ain't ya there for win money? :) So act like that and force yourself always close all kind of distractions and try to stay concentrated on the tables. Everyone will find their own way how they are able to concentrate more.

Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Some more points earned.
      Bronze
      Homework Week 2
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I think the grouping of the KQ to J10 suited and unsuited hands can be played differently. There is probably too many hands grouped together here for the sake of space on the chart which is understandable. I would also tend to raise with 99 and 88 in mid position first in.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

NL 5 AQ on button
      NL 5 AQ on button

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

Equity Win Tie
      AKo 46.32% 37.92% 8.41% { AdKh }
      top 5% 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

What would you usually do with hands like KQ/JT? I mean you are talking about isolating or...?

Raising with hands like 99/88 is totally fine and which I would even advice to do so. They are way too strong to just complete or whatsoever limp in.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
      Bronze
      About Question 2:

I just meant that I would much prefer to play KQ than J10 even though they are grouped together in the starting hands chart.

Also in regards to Bankroll Management, if you are multi-tabling playing for example 4 tables, should you factor this into the level you play at?

e.g. if I have $100 and want to play 4 tables NL4 my total buy-in would be $16 at any one time. Going by the 25 buy-in rule should I have $400 (25x16) in my account or is $100 sufficient.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      I just meant that I would much prefer to play KQ than J10 even though they are grouped together in the starting hands chart.

Well, JT also has a great possibility to hit a lot of SDs. :) But obviously both of those hands ain't very easy to play if your postflop play ain't very good.

Also in regards to Bankroll Management, if you are multi-tabling playing for example 4 tables, should you factor this into the level you play at?

The more tables you play the higher the BRM should be. But if you playing between 4-6 it's not a big difference. For smaller limits you can easily even use 25BIs.
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice I think I might move up to 30ish BIs before moving up a level from now on.
      Homework to follow
      Bronze
      Question 1

You are holding KsQs. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3d3c? How does the equity change on this flop: Js5d3s?

Preflop equity is:

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    50.78%  50.41%   0.38% { KsQs }
      MP3    49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop equity is:

Board: 5:diamond: J:spade: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    26.45%  26.45%   0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3    73.55%  73.55%   0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AcJc
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 2c6d3d (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5c (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

In this situation I think I would call. We are getting approximately 3.5:1 to call plus whatever action happens on the river. I attributed a range of 22+,A2s+,JTs,T9s,98s,87s,76s,65s,54s and would have 41.4% equity against it which is enough to call. Is this too wide a range cosidering the preflop action?

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      NL 4 AKs
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

30BIs sounds as a great plan by the way!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

Nl4 Kk

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

NL2 FR - Set of eights

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

Board: 8:heart: J:spade: 9:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      CO     41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      BU     58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.
      Bronze
      Hi Veriz,
      I have been spending quite a bit of time playing and also reading "Treat Your Poker Like a Business" by Dusty Schmidt. I have also been trying to revise the articles and videos I have already covered before I go onto any new material.

In terms of actual play my results have been pretty horrible recently (down 10 BIs after 12,000 hands) and I am cosidering dropping back to NL2 for my confidence sake aswell as my bankroll. I feel like I am putting in the work and I can understand when the cards are running against me but I feel as though I am not getting enough value from my strong hands and I sometimes overplay my weak hands.

I have HEM2 on a trial for the next month and love the many features it provides. I am currently looking at potential leaks including the hands where I've lost 20BB or more and also which cards and table positions have been the least/most profitable. It is hard to know where to start however and any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Also another equity formula I have heard is
      (amount of outs x 2)(number of remaining streets) = your equity

pretty much the same right?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      In terms of actual play my results have been pretty horrible recently (down 10 BIs after 12,000 hands) and I am cosidering dropping back to NL2 for my confidence sake aswell as my bankroll. I feel like I am putting in the work and I can understand when the cards are running against me but I feel as though I am not getting enough value from my strong hands and I sometimes overplay my weak hands.

Very good idea! I would advice to do that. :)

Also don't forget to post hands. ;)

Well, there are different formulas but it's something similar.
      Bronze
      Hey Veriz this is just a post to keep track of my hand postings.
      NL 4 AKo
      Nl 4 J10
      Nl 4 Kk
      Nl 4 A8
      Nl 4 1010
      NL 4 AKs
      Nl 4 Kk
      Nl4 JJ
      NL4 AKo
      NL2 FR - Set of eights
      Nl4 Kk
      NL 4 AKs
      Nl 4 Jj
      Nl 4 10 10
      Nl4 78s
      Nl 4 Kk
      NL 4 AQs
      NL 4 AKo
      Nl4 Qq
      Nl 4 Qq
      Nl4 Ak
      NL 4 AQo
      Nl 4 Qq
      Nl4 Tt
      Nl4 Ak
      Nl4 55
      Nl 4 Aa
      Nl4 Aq
      Nl 4 Jj
      Nl 4 Kk
      Nl4 J4
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Yeah, I evaluated them. :) Really good job!
      Bronze
      Yeah I am just putting all the links in my locker room thread so I can look over them easily.

Thanks for the encouragement :D
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.

Nl4 78s

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.
      AQs NL2

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (7-handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6d , 7d
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3d , 3h , Td (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) Jd (3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

In this situation I would raise to around $3. There would then be $6.20 in the pot with the with either opponent having to invest $2. The SB seems like a solid player if a little loose. The BB is very passive. If the SB 3-bets then we have a tough decision where a I would lean towards a fold depending on the size of the raise and the action of the BB.

If the SB and BB both call then we would have to evaluate the river and possibly just check it down or value bet small. Ideally the SB would fold and the BB would call our bet on the turn and we could value bet a lot of rivers.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (8-handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($8)
      MP ($10)
      MP2 ($9)
      MP3 ($6)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10) (25/21/3.8/26/1250) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Jh , Js
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU 3-bets to $1.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($2.75) 6h , 9s , Tc (2 players)
      Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

First of all I would like to ask what is the thinking behind the call pre-flop? Is the call made because the BU seems to be loose aggressive?

Anyway on the flop I think I would either bet into the raiser or else check raise. I think given the board texture a check raise is better as it shows a lot of strength. I know the board isn't very suitable for a bluff c-bet but given the stats of the BU i can see him c-betting very often and even if he doesnt we can lead at most turns and might even pick up a draw
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

Good luck on tables and with the School. Some more points earned.