Profit at SNG DoubleUp

• GAS852
      GAS852
      Bronze
      Hello to All,

I love to play poker (sometime hate it too) and I do it mostly for fun and always like to win some money. :)

I’m playing all type of NL Holde'm poker begging from classic SNG, MTT and SH, FR Cash Games and ending with exotic Short Stack Matrix SNG and Rush Poker. At the moment I'm stack somewhere between micro stakes and low stakes.

At September I decided to clear my first aid bonus at Titan poker and I choose to play SNG DoNs. I'm playing approximately 20 DoNs per day.

There are my results:

Green line - Profit/Loses without any bonuses (ROI-5.0%).
      Blue line - Profit/Loses with First Deposit Bonus and VIP Cash Bonus (ROI-8.1%).
      ITM -57.7%

I would like to know is it bad, average, good or great numbers for ITM and ROI?

I’m planning to update my results after my pokers sessions and discus there DoNs related questions (if any will arise =) ).

My two challenges to beat are:
      1. I can’t play more than two tables at once because then I lose focus;
      2. I’m playing better when I playing with other money like starting capital or instant cash bonus because then I don’t worry about money and focus to the game.

PS.
      Feel free to add there any DoNs related stuff.
  • 16 replies
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Not sure what level you are playing at but if the rake is 10% then you are only just making a profit with a 57.7% ITM

Say you play 300 DoNs at $1 (+10c rake) = $1.10 x 300 = $330 invested.

With 57.7% ITM you "win" or get ITM in 173.1 tournies for a total return of $346.2 or a net profit of $16.2 or 0.054c per tourney.

Playing 20 per day = approx $1.08 total profit per day.

55% ITM => $330 return = BREAK EVEN

Your profit % here is only 2.7%.

That is why I don't play DoNs. Having to get 55% ITM just to break even can be a drain.

They can be very good practice for the bubble play in other tournies and also when they get to the push or fold phase.

GL if you decide to keep at them!
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Must be confusing playing all these game types. Maybe focusing on one and master it would give you a lot more benefit? what do you think?

I play 6max and HU sng's.. they kinda help one another so its ok.. but MTT's are way different imho. At least when I play them (and mostly end up being card dead) its demoralizing.

anyway, Good luck and welcome to our blog section GAS852!
    • GAS852
      GAS852
      Bronze
      to Fagin

I agree with you that DoNs is not the best poker game to play. To help you with calculations - without any bonuses my ROI is 5.0%, so it mean that from every 1.00$ I invest I get back 1.00$ + 0.05$. For every 10.00$ investment I get beck 10.00 + 0.50$ etc.

This month I decided to play DoNs because it is super fast way to generate rake. :D
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Fagin

They can be very good practice for the bubble play in other tournies and also when they get to the push or fold phase.

GL if you decide to keep at them!
      Actually the bubble is one of the best places to accumulate chips, in DoN it's almost never right to call a push from SB at the bubble stage. So it can be pretty destructive if you practise you bubble play on Don's

:s_cool:
    • GAS852
      GAS852
      Bronze
      to variancekiller

You are totally right because folding KK had greater equity then calling, only two another problems will arise:

1. Other players have different opinion about calling ranges and you will be get called by KJ.
      2. If you will fold every hand smart players will exploit you.

While at SNG you always will be right calling with KK.
    • GAS852
      GAS852
      Bronze
      Updated results 28.09.2011.:

Green line - Profit/Loses without any bonuses.
      Blue line - Profit/Loses with First Deposit Bonus and VIP Cash Bonus.
      Red line - Luck Adjusted Winnings.

Today I was bit unlucky at coin-flipping and tree times have been called by overpair. :(
    • GAS852
      GAS852
      Bronze
      Updated results 29.09.2011.:

• GAS852
      GAS852
      Bronze
      There are two interesting hands with Aces.

1. After CALL I realize that I could be in big trouble because super "hot" players after me can all make CALL too. : )

2. Two big stakes qualifies under the category "hot" players. Dilemma. What you gone do at that situation?
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GAS852
      There are two interesting hands with Aces.

1. After CALL I realize that I could be in big trouble because super "hot" players after me can all make CALL too. : )

2. Two big stakes qualifies under the category "hot" players. Dilemma. What you gone do at that situation?
      Situation 1 is a call I think, you are not going to find a better spot, and it's unlikely someone else is going to call aswell since one of you is going out anyways.

Situation 2 is totally different. I like folding there because 2 players will be all in before you so you have a big chance they are getting eliminated in the next 2 hands. So your expected win is much higher than when you push this hand!
    • GAS852
      GAS852
      Bronze
      to variancekiller

I did as you say and win both of tournaments. :rolleyes:
    • GAS852
      GAS852
      Bronze
      SitNGo Wizard suggests to PUSH only with JJ+. I disagree with it. : ) Do I need next time PUSH only with JJ+ to make a profit in a long run or SitNGo Wizrd gives wrong suggestions. More likely I have to adjust some software settings but which ones?

• variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GAS852
      SitNGo Wizard suggests to PUSH only with JJ+. I disagree with it. : ) Do I need next time PUSH only with JJ+ to make a profit in a long run or SitNGo Wizrd gives wrong suggestions. More likely I have to adjust some software settings but which ones?

you have to adjust the ranges with wich broon4 and richieafc will call! Don't know the ranges for it but if you click on the calculator you can see it. I tried to put in the ranges but am slightly off since iPoker won't give antes when I make my own hand.

Customized I get this is the "nash" range so in a perfectly played game!

50.8%, 22+ Ax+ K2s+ K4o+ Q2s+ Q6o+ J4s+ J8o+ T6s+ T8o+ 96s+ 98o 86s+ 76s

So that is what you have to push here roughly
    • GAS852
      GAS852
      Bronze
      to variancekiller

Your given range looks ok. The ranges for both players I already adjusted .

Bbroon4 will call with a good hand only because he know that Richiefc is under pressure.
      Richiefc range could be bigger (max 75% because he isn’t Titan team pro player and can make mistake :f_eek: ) but it doesn't affect much SitNGo Wizrd suggestion. Now it is – 99, AK, AJs+.

So there should be something else!
    • GAS852
      GAS852
      Bronze
      Updated results 30.09.2011.:

• GAS852
      GAS852
      Bronze
      I need one more day to complete first aid bonus conditions, so after that I can say goodbye to DoNs and take a rest or play some SH cash games for a while.

Updated results 01.10.2011.:

• GAS852
      GAS852
      Bronze
      There are final results:

Does ROI 5.0% (without bonuses and rakaback) and ITM 57.8% is good enough to move up to the limits?