Building a roll with PLO

• M1rCea
      M1rCea
      Bronze
      Hi guys, I am starting to play PLO 1 day / week to learn it, aside from NLHE.

Wanted some feedback on how to move up as fast as possible without risking too much. Since I don't have a very big roll I was thinking of starting at NL2 PLO on Stars.

Would grinding more tables and getting value with the nuts be preferable to playing a higher limit 1 or 2 tables (eg. NL5, although underrolled for it, don't have 500$)?

FR or SH?

Basically, I want to build a roll as fast as possible to move up to where I could start to play PLO seriously. This being done without risking too much of my BR, since I heard variance is such a big part of PLO.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :f_love: :f_love: :f_love:
  • 8 replies
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Don't try to move up as fast as possible. That's the best advice you will get this thread.

Also stop calling it NL2 and NL5, it's not No Limit Omaha, it's Pot Limit Omaha. :f_biggrin:

Play 1 or 2 tables. Focus on learning to read players hands and what they could potentially hold. When you start to have a slight idea about what they might have (based on bet sizing, bet frequency etc) then you can consider moving up.

Of course there is a lot more to Omaha than just the hands that happen at the table. What happens to you in between hands is also pretty important. Do you get bored easily or do you tilt? It's very easy in Omaha to play too many hands and it will also drive you crazy if you don't like getting beat in a pot.

Stay at low limits as long as possible because you need to find this out before you start moving up.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      That's a hard thing to learn. To be able to get to higher limits, you have to forget those higher limits. I have written a longer version in finnish, but here is the short version of my thoughts:

When your goal is to win as much money as possible, it will affect your thinking. You will look your results more often, and you take the swings too hard on yourself. You will waste a lot of your resources to thinking about money.

Instead, if you just concentrate to improve your game, and in-game you concentrate to make good decisions, one by one, eventually you will win money. Don't rush, take your time.

It's like soccer/hockey player. When they dream about being a pro player, they don't think "I have to win our league, to be able to move to higher division". Instead they think "I need to train more, and become better player so I can be a pro someday". Same thing should be in poker. Learn the game, and the game will reward you.

I don't know your roll, but I suggest to aim for plo10 as soon as possible. The game is usually little more "poker" than in PLO2 or PLO5, but still soft enough to learn the things.

And SH/FR really depends on what level you are and what do you like.
    • M1rCea
      M1rCea
      Bronze
      Wow, awesome replies!

Kyyberi your post makes perfect sense! I am very interested in the mental part of the game as well. I see how aiming for money would be a bad thing, because it gets you more emotionally invested in the results. Would the goal of having a time limit to get to a certain limit (e.g. NL25) fall into the same category?

But then, how should goals for Poker look like? I think I am starting to understand, I guess we should set goals based on things we can control, like putting in a certain volume, not uncontrollable things like money. I understand that we should aim to be a better player, but I feel that is hard to measure.

BankRoll
      My current BR is ~240$ so I am rolled for PLO2 (according to the 100BI BRM). Should I try playing max 2 tables at PLO5 to focus on getting to know the game more personally? Yeah, PLO10 is a limit where I would be happy to play for a while, until I'm confident I have a good grip over Omaha.

SH/FR
      I would try SH since I feel that's the way PLO is played mainly.

About the tilt and getting bored quickly. I can't say I don't tilt at all, but I am not the kinda guy to blow his roll away when he tilts. I stop playing after losing ~3BI. When I tilt, I usually stop playing my A game and become more sloppy. And yeah I agree that it's easy to become too loose with PLO, I'm a victim of that. I guess it just requires discipline and working on preflop play is what I aim to do first.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Good goal is to play certain amount of hands and then see where you are at. Depends on how many tables you play and how many hours per week.

If you play only 1 day per week, and the rest of the time you play different games, you will be confused. I would say that if you really, really want to learn plo, put your energy into it. If you play 1 day per week, you will need a LOT of time to learn it.
    • hard2burrn
      hard2burrn
      Silver
      Hey,

I also started playing PLO a while ago, and I'd like to know if it is better to play without HUD at the begining? If it is what things should I figure out first before using HUD.
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      You can get a months free trial of a HUD, so I recommend that, go with Omaha manager trial. It's definitely worth trying out, so long as you use the information correctly found in it.
    • adamall
      adamall
      Bronze
      I started playing PLO last month, and the game is amazing.

I would suggest you could play as low as 50bi Brm, but only if you feel comfortable.

one thing I will say is get Omaha manager immediately, I don't believe you can learn the game efficiently with out it. (I would prioritise buying this before moving up limits).

Adz
    • MonkeySam
      MonkeySam
      Bronze
      Hey guys, I started already 1 month ago, and the PT3 give you 2 months of trial.
      If you want to try it :f_biggrin:

I think the best advice its related to mental side of the game. You have to avoid think about money...its not really healthy because the bad beats are so popular at PLO that if you think about how many money have be lost, you will lost everything.

Also, I follow some blogs, specially Godlikeroy, pretty interesting and is one of the few who give you nice advices, as poker, as food and also beatiful pics!