[NL2-NL10] Strategy against a maniac?

• dollarihai
      This player played very loose-aggressively during a longer period of time. He raised preflop about 35% of his hands. During the last ten hand or so, he even made a standard preflop raise to 70% of his hands. He was also eager to go all-in preflop.

Obviously, there is a lot of quick money-making potential here. According to equilab, my AJo has an edge even to a handrange of 25%. So I figure going all-in preflop with these makes sense.

The tricky thing about this player, though, is that if I reraise his raise, he doesn't always call or reraise. Moreover, postflop he becomes much more tight if he doesn't hit something good.

What should my general strategy against this kind of opponent be? Should I always aim for a preflop all-in with a suitable hand? Should I calculate his handrange as being 70% multiplied by the percentage with what he reraises my reraise, and play only hands that give me 50%+ equity against this handrange?

Known players:    

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:club: , J:spade:
      Hero raises to $0.08, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.08, CO raises to $0.28, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.96, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.68.

Flop: ($2.03) K:spade: , 6:heart: , 4:club: (2 players)
      Hero raises $1.04 (All-In), CO calls $0.67 (All-In).

Turn: ($3.74) 5:diamond:
      River: ($3.74) 3:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $3.74

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows high card ace with king kicker (Ac Js)
      CO shows a pair of kings (Kh 9h)

CO wins with a pair of kings (Kh 9h)
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello dollarihai,

Well the problem is that AJ ain't really the greatest hand, even against a maniac. I'd still at least have AQ+ since it's still pretty much a flip even against his hand right in this spot.

But well as played not much to add. :(

Best regards.