Hello and thankyou pokerstrategy

• lloydy842007
      lloydy842007
      Bronze
      Hello everyone. My name is Kris, from the UK.

I joined a forum similar to this one five years ago, called pokerroomschool or similar, kind of the same scheme. Free $50 which I put on ultimate bet. I hit $200 and withdrew, my partner at the time had a real issue with gambling, and me being a sucker I withdrew and stopped!

Anyway, that was then, this is now. No women, just me and I'm ready to play. How quick was the deposit? I couldn't quite believe just how fast, I woke up the morning after signing up to find $50 in my account already! I had my ID ready but wasn't needed.

So I decided I would post when (or if) I doubled my bankroll. It's been four days, and I have done so much quicker than I expected. $102 now. Not going to get over exited, I've read all about varience etc.

I'm not withdrawing this time. I'm sticking with it. I enjoy, really enjoy playing this game. I started on the $1 STT on partypoker, but the rake was killer :( I know its bad bankroll management, but I risked it a bit with the $3, far less rake at 11%, I'm more confident of beating this.

lloydy842011 38 $1 $2 44% $47 - 70 PartyPoker

This is my on sharkscope. I have been reading other threads and took some advice from there about keeping a blog. Also I love those graphs, I'm going to read on and find out how I can do this, and also learn how to post hands, because I was in a situation earier and I'd like some advise.

Again, thanks pokerstrategy, I hope to become a long term member of this forum!
  • 32 replies
    • lloydy842007
      lloydy842007
      Bronze
      Oh the other $5 I won on cash games, thats why it only says $47 :)
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi Kris,

Big welcome to our community! :)

Nice introduction, thanks so much for taking time and giving us a good overview of where you coming from.

You've been around the poker world sometime and seems to me that you know the basics of the game and winning bits here and there. Waaaaaaaait!! You said you doubled?!! :s_o: :s_o: and just ine 4 days?!? :s_o: :s_o:

You have a new nickname :D shocker!

I normally don't suggest every member to start blogging because it needs serious dedication and also free time to play poker and really have a chance to put down your head and study your leaks etc...

Seems like you are enthusiastic about starting all over again in the poker world and if not because you have a lot of free time but because it would keep you motivated and focused of your next steps, you should start a blog.

Don't forget to post some hands so we can start discussing. Are you using any poker software to help you on your way to the high stakes? :D

ok now its just getting TL,DR

Looking forward to hear from you
      Ingrid
    • lloydy842007
      lloydy842007
      Bronze
      Thanks for the response Ingrid. I'm not using any software currently. I'm going to browse the forums now see what information I can find. I will also look for info on how to post proper hands too.

By blog I actually meant a few lines in a diary at the end of each days. Just to keep a few notes. Keep records of swings etc..

After I posted last I came #1 in my next two games, then failed to cash in the following 6.. For you guys I'm sure this is routine.. For me painful :/ Had one game today and finished third after so much promise and tripling my stack, QQ lost out to KJ then my pair to overcards but you know.. Swings and roundabouts..

Enjoying it!
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hey kris,

who is lloydy? :D welcome to our community!
      you might want to try our Elephant which is a free tracking software :)

You can download it from [URL=http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/9/[/URL]Elephant download[/URL].

To the video: How to install the PokerStrategy.com Elephant

FAQ - Frequently asked questions about the PokerStrategy.com Elephant

Forum board - Elephant Support

yes that sounds pretty routine, swings are toughest in tournaments. :)
      hang in there! follow BRM to survive them. glad to see you enjoying it!
      have you checked out the 2 daily freerolls we have exclusive for PokerStrategy.com members?

smiles,
      wendy
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lloydy842007
      I will also look for info on how to post proper hands too.
      well, its simples :)

You can use our hand converter which will enable you to post any hand on the forum.

Also, as fizzy suggested! You can download the Elephant software for free and it will help you enormously in the beginning.

Originally posted by lloydy842007
      After I posted last I came #1 in my next two games, then failed to cash in the following 6.. For you guys I'm sure this is routine.. For me painful :/ Had one game today and finished third after so much promise and tripling my stack, QQ lost out to KJ then my pair to overcards but you know.. Swings and roundabouts..
      Yeah, you can call it routine but still it happens to us everyday/week. I played the 180 man $1 hypers for a while on Stars and my very first tournament I came 4th, cashed $30 :D the next 20 I was bubbling or didn't even reach that far. In tournaments its not only variance but also being card dead, jesus...most annoying thing because you just blinding down..

so, yeah, we understand your frustration. :heart:

Keep us updated
      Ingrid
    • lloydy842007
      lloydy842007
      Bronze
      Hi, I spent a couple of hours trying to figure this out. I imported 47 STT's, the raw data is correct, but the elephant software cannot do its sums and is giving me the wrong ITM % and ROI is negative when it should be positive..

I must be doing somethign wrong somewhere, but I don't see what..

I entered the freeroll today.. AA on the first hand, raised it up 5 times BB, four callers, mixed board, shoved on the flop, guy had hit a set and did me, out first hand haha.
    • lloydy842007
      lloydy842007
      Bronze
      Been a bad day for me, going to take a break for a few days I think. Todays showdowns:

Winning odds Losing odds (draw)

75% 25% => lost
      56% 44% => lost
      81% 19% => lost
      43% 57% => lost
      16% 83% => lost
      64% 36% => lost
      60% 24% (16%) => won
      33% 22% (44%) => lost
      71% 29% => lost
      35% 65% => won
      43% 57% => lost (AK shove into JJ - bubbled)
      37% 62% => won
      19% 81% => lost (JJ shove into KK - bubbled)
      88% 8% (4%) => lost

Known Players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP1:
      MP2:
      MP3:
      CO:
      BU:
      SB:
      Hero:

SnG-MTT $ 3.00 (10 Players)
      20/40 No-Limit Hold'em (7 Players)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102.40520.2 by www.pokerstrategy.com

Preflop: Hero is BB with A :heart: , 6 :spade:
      MP1 calls, 2 fold, CO calls, BU folds, SB calls, Hero checks

Flop: (160) A :club: , 6 :heart: , 5 :spade: (4 Players)
      SB checks,
      Hero bets 200,
      MP1 raises 200 to 400, 2 fold,
      Hero raises 1560 to 1960 ( (AI)), MP1 calls

Turn: (4080) 5 :club: (2 Players)

River: (4080) J :club: (2 Players)

Final Pot: 4080

Results follow (Highlight to see):
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and sixes (Ah, 6s) --> (Ac, Ah, 6h, 6s, Jc)
      MP1 shows a full house, fives full of aces (Ad, 5d) --> (5s, 5c, 5d, Ac, Ad)

MP1 wins 4080 with a full house, fives full of aces (Ad, 5d) --> (5s, 5c, 5d, Ac, Ad)
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      ugh what a nasty hand!

on the other hand, it's wonderful to see you posting hands. (oh my, i used the word "hand" 3 times already)

well played though, i wouldnt worry about it. brush it off, gather your strength, and keep trying. :)

you can join the freerolls however many times you wish. i would never fold AA in the first hand either. ^^ all in, all day, any day. :)
      why dont you try posting your problems in the elephant forum so our software experts can try and figure it out with you?
    • lloydy842007
      lloydy842007
      Bronze
      Well it's not about one nasty hand, I posted that because it was the last one. Now I can follow advice and 'grind through it'. But for how long? How long should I continue to play being in front and being out drawn by guys who play with any two cards? 51.5% favourite over 14 hands and winning 3/14

Two days ago I was enjoying poker, now I'm afraid to play! Anytime I don't have the absolute nuts I am second guessing myself when two days ago I wouldn't have thought twice.. I'm actually waiting to be done over. I don't want to play anymore.

So I decided to take advise and play another game, here is how it ended. I wasn't even surprised TBH. Villian had thrown his stack in 4 times in a row and everyone folded:

Known Players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP3:
      CO:
      BU:
      Hero:
      BB:

SnG-MTT $ 3.00 (10 Players)
      300/600 No-Limit Hold'em (5 Players)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102.40520.2 by www.pokerstrategy.com

Preflop: Hero is SB with A :diamond: , Q :club:
      2 fold,
      BU raises 5500 to 6100 ( (AI)), Hero calls ( (AI)), BB folds

Flop: (11440) 8 :heart: , 4 :heart: , 2 :heart: (2 Players)

Turn: (11440) 3 :heart: (2 Players)

River: (11440) 2 :spade: (2 Players)

Final Pot: 11440

Results follow (Highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of twos (Ad, Qc) --> (2h, 2s, 8h, Ad, Qc)
      BU shows a flush, queen high (Qh, 5h) --> (Qh, 8h, 5h, 4h, 3h)

BU wins 11440 with a flush, queen high (Qh, 5h) --> (Qh, 8h, 5h, 4h, 3h)
    • lloydy842007
      lloydy842007
      Bronze
      I've edited this post. I want to be confident my observations are correct first. Can you recommend software which takes my showdown winning % chance and actual winning %?

I need to know whether this is luck or bad play. I calculate these odds myself and they seem ridiculous. Possibly I am calculating wrong, if there was software for this, I'd really like to see the results.
    • blax41
      blax41
      Bronze
      hey , i`m following this one , i`m in the almost same situation. I play 1$ partypoker turbos and I was winning at the beggining and I was sticking to BRM but I kept losing. Then I watched few videos here on ps and it really helped alot.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hey kris, i think you mean the EV line in the program. i think elephant has that. it shows what you should have won vs what you actually won.

for the odds, you should download the equilab. it is a free software from PokerStrategy.com. you will be able to input the cards in there and it will tell you your exact chances of winining vs another hand. here is the link:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/10/
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      yo :s_evil:
    • ilrasso
      ilrasso
      Bronze
      Welcome to PS and good job on ur winnings. A word on cashouts: Dont be shy to take out a bit of cash, rushing through the limits can be dangerous.

Consider that u might chrush nl10 and run hot for 1k hands on nl25 and get rolled but not skilled for nl50. U can then combine the possible bad streak with a lack of edge over the competish, to make a horrible downswing/ goin broke.

Cashing out a small "pat on the back" amount for spending and then proceeding with BRM can be a very wise thing to do on many levels.

On the other hand if ur carrier path is blessed by talent and variance, cashing out is defo -EV.

Poker is a beast to be tamed
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hey Guys,

This thread has been moving mountains :D and everyone is interested!
      Shall we move this to our blogs section? Any interesting blog names?

Ingrid
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      Could be called, THE BLOG ;)
    • lloydy842007
      lloydy842007
      Bronze
      Well I decided to take some time away. I tried downloading Holdem manager but the free trial was going to take like 7 hours so I didn't bother.

So today I've played two and lost two. Bubbled for the 5th time in 17 games. I pushed a K, 10, called by A,3, I was being, I lost, I can accept this. Second game, called a raise with 5,5, hit my set, just called an half pot bet, got another caller behind me, third spade landed.. I KNEW. Just KNEW I was dead. But I know it would have been a mistake to fold that set, I threw it in to take it down before another spade landed, and that was me dead. To 10,3 of spades or something..

I can accept these last two just fine. I was behind when the money went in, I lost. What I am really struggling to accept is the fact I was 10 buy ins down over a period where I was 51.5% favourite in my showdows to only with 21%. I have to admit that rocked me.

I mean I read about variance and such, I see it working against me, what I cannot understand is IF/when it will start working for me. Having two 3rd places, five 4ths and five 5ths it makes me wonder, how much of a bankroll would I have if I'd won 51.5%
    • lloydy842007
      lloydy842007
      Bronze
      Well. Heres the stats from the time I started losing big time. I believe I've worked them out properly. Two more games, 3d & 5th, stats included:

% ahead 46.58% - % won 29%
      Ahead & won - 46.15%
      Ahead & lost - 53.85%
      Behind & won - 13.6%
      Behind & lost - 86.4%

4,4 - 9,9 - lost 19 - 80
      aa, - 99 won 80 - 20
      j, 10s - k, qs lost 33 - 66
      5,5 - q,9s - 5s,9s,10 - 7s lost 23 - 77
      a,j - k,7 - won 64 - 36
      k,10 - a,3 - lost 43 57
      j,q s - k,q - lost 29 68