Handling verbal abuse from suck-outers?

• yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Okay it's not verbal abuse it's typing abuse.

Playing today and get it in on 78T suited flop with AA, 140bb against another similar stack opponent, who turned over JJ. And he hits a J on the river, which I was fine with. But then he typed "suck it bi...tch" and left the table. And I just could hardly control it. I'm fine with the person who got sucked out trolling but if someone suck out and still trolling then I can barely handle that. Have you folks seen this kind of behaviour and how did you handle it? I might just disable chatting from now on.
  • 49 replies
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      who cares, you got it in good the rest is out of your hands so you move on to the next hand. I generally never even see a chat. But if you can't handle it, just turn it of problem solved

:s_cool:
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      turn chat off. :)
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Why would you care what he types in. And thats not verbal abuse more like typing abuse. Its not like your sitting at the table with the guy and are forced to listen to him you can just disable chat.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      When you let verbal abuse tilt you then it means you deserve it and it's +EV for your opponents.

EDIT: Besides, did he say something wrong? I looked it up from Merriam-Webster.

suck it - to handle losses or defeats, to restore ones peace of mind, also see: suck it up

bitch - the female of the dog or some other carnivorous mammals, sometimes used to describe a neurotic person who takes insults too seriously and might even create a forum thread after being confronted to what he or she interprets as verbal abuse

So basically all he said was: "Good luck overcoming this loss, you touchy fella"
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Well it's easy to say who cares but emotion is not something that easy to control.

Actually controlling emotion actually requires a lot of cognitive resource which might also affect the game in the same way tilt does.

I guess I'll turn chat off then.
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      When you let verbal abuse tilt you then it means you deserve it and it's +EV for your opponents.
      I didn't say I was tilted. I said I can hardly handle the bad feeling, which is overwhelming and makes me want to punch something, but I did not say that affects my game.
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Meh, at least that guy knew english. I 4-bet shove pre-flop this one guy in a NL2 cash game with AKs he had like 60c left behind and he was very close to having 50% stack in the pot, so I decide meh mighnt as well shove him and hope for the best. So then he turns over Q7s catches a 7 on the turn wins and then in polish says, that he will leave after this hand because he doesn't play with stupid people. I was going to google translator to translate what he said :f_biggrin: Usually what I say when I win is "U mad bro?" it's very funny when you take someones stack and then say it. But not that funny when you have said it a few times, and when you lose your opponent says it. I think I had never been that mad in my life. :D Yea, but you basically have to take it and not yell back, in last weeks I'm trying to get rid of the habit to yell at people that say shit, just because they are fishes and you want them to feel comfortable, so it's better to take the abuse but also take their money.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Krishjanis
      they are fishes and you want them to feel comfortable, so it's better to take the abuse but also take their money.
      this

i guess that you flip out because you feel that "it's not fair"?
      deep down there you should know that it's not logical to get angry at lucky fish, so have a serious conversation with yourself sometime and try to logically convince yourself of that.
      then you'll be able to just laugh it off when it happens next time :D
    • c0wking
      c0wking
      Bronze
      Imo the best way to tilt someone is to bluff them in a huge pot with a garbage hand, and then show the bluff.

Combine that with some verbal abuse and shit gets personal afterwards.
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      What annoys me is the inability to give abuse :) . We're all grown ups on the tables and if some donk shoves holding A4 with 40BB and beats my AK, I feel I should be able to call him a name or two! Have been playing at Titan Poker and you can't even say "suck out", it's ridiculous.
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      get the fuck out of here.

lemme guess...NL2?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Rise above it, or turn off chat.

90% of the time trash talkers will be consistent losers anyway. Might aswell let them enjoy themselves if they want to celebrate after getting the money in bad.

There is that other 10% who do it because they think it's +EV to tilt people. And perhaps it is.......
      ......but personally I never insult other players. I prefer to always be polite even if others are insulting. I don't need to angle-shoot to deprive players of their chips.
    • eteris
      eteris
      Bronze
      what abuse? do people really use chat on poker rooms? ?(
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      If your BRM is big enough, you shouldn't care. you should just laugh about it.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      We're all grown ups on the tables and if some donk shoves holding A4 with 40BB and beats my AK, I feel I should be able to call him a name or two!

You should be happy that there is such people who call your AK with A4 actually ;)
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      abuse is generally a sign of them tilting, make it work to your advantage. answer :)
    • GraemeDR
      GraemeDR
      Bronze
      Just type "well done," to anyone who is abusive. It works because if they sucked out they know they haven't actually played well and you're being sarcastic, but also if they're being abusive and all you say is well done you might be saying well done for knowing how to be abusive, well done knowing swear word, well done for anything but playing well. It also shows that you're really not bothered by them, and that gets their backs up. They soon stop. Or if you're English you can correct their spelling and grammar and that annoys them.
    • PokerPirate1
      PokerPirate1
      Bronze
      Hi there,

I think that seeing the chat once in a while is a cool thing, I used to keep a log of the best lines I got... I remember when I was a beginning player at Betfair a got a REAL LOT of trash talk from the fish. There was a couple of hungarian, russian and of course english chatter, and I even looked up what the curses mean and everything :-D
      You have to see that people who have time to write in the chatbox usually don´t play too much tables, they see reasons why they should insult you (therefore mostly do not undestand the point of the game) and are likely to tilt = losers in general ;) So you shouldn´t be so angry at them, the words mean cash :-D

When I get on tilt after some sick cooler or something, I usually just write something like "die" in the chat and turn my tables off :-D

GL and dont worry about it much :)
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze

You should be happy that there is such people who call your AK with A4 actually ;)
      Happened to me this morning, he gave me 80bb, what a nice fish that was! :D

Now about the subject, if you really can't handle to be called names by total loosers (which is understandable) you should, as it has already been said many times, just turn off the chat. But, I think you should make an effort so it doesn't affect you anymore in order to be able to use the chat for spotting tilt, frustration, collusion, boredom, etc, all those things that are very useful and/or important to spot and should give you an edge or help you spot the cheaters.