10 players spend 40 minutes folding

• raven39
      raven39
      Bronze
      Hi everyone. I am pretty new to the game and have recently started playing in free-role 1c/2c tournaments...badly, I have to confess, due to a suicidal tendency to wish for that straight and not notice the flush draw my opponents has likely made or to make my flush and bet out, only to be beaten by a better one or a full house! I am learning though.
      My main point of writing is to tell everyone of a tourny I was in last night and to ask everyone if the had come across this situation before...The game was:
      100/200 Tourney Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL) (MTT Tournament #63767529) - Wed Sep 28 18:34:48 EDT 2011
      Table Table 3295497 (Real Money)
      We had not been in the game long, (perhaps 2 or 3 minutes), when it became apparent that the chip leader, bps07 was raising all-in at every hand...and I mean EVERY HAND! There was no attempt to 'play' the game and certainly, no skill was involved. Here is the table setup:
      Total number of players : 10/10
      Seat 1: yakaboxer (2760)
      Seat 2: VirtusSpb (2690)
      Seat 3: ruottis (2860)
      Seat 4: derpancho (2890)
      Seat 5: Dread842 (2700)
      Seat 6: ssgtclark805 (2770)
      Seat 7: polyakov2501 (2610)
      Seat 8: anderfin13 (2760)
      Seat 9: bps07 (17120)
      Seat 10: kodutu (2680)
      In fact this is the table and stack situation after about 3 minutes AND at the end of 40+ minutes!!! The reason? Well, without communication between players, (we were from around the world), we unanimously decided to fold EVERY HAND until the first break! Thats right. For the next 40 or so minutes, we ALL folded every hand so that the idiot in seat 9 never got to play against us, every time the BB came to me, I also took down the SB as well as everyone had folded. This was the same for each player. The dealer dealt, everyone folded, the BB collected the blinds...over and over again. The result? Virtually no change to chip stacks, but some very angry and frustrated, (but united), players.
      What stuns me though, is that 1. We all hit on the same (dumb?), idea at the same time. and 2. That we kept up the negative play for so long! ( I was the one to finally crack and try to punish him further, by taking his blinds too).
      Any comments?
      Ever come across this situation before?
      How could it have been handled differently/better?
      By the way, I play as ssgtclark805, don't ask. lol.
  • 15 replies
    • darkprice
      darkprice
      Bronze
      There's always someone trying to go all-in everyhand. Just wait for better cards and then call him.
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Hi Raven

I would also like to ask if this was also a freeroll? If this is the case then what have you got to lose by gambling against the idiot?

If you gamble and lose, you have lost nothing but the time invested. If you gamble and win then you win many more chips and have a much bigger chance of cashing.

Surely there is no downside? Obviously if you have invested significant amount of money or time in the tournament then this is different.

At the point you show in the HH you are all sub 15bb so against his strategy of shoving every hand you should be shove/fold against him. You should pick an above average hand and get it in.

You should be aware that although TIGHT IS RIGHT strategy is generally a good approach. In order to be a successful NLHE player you need to be willing to adjust your play according to your opponents in order to exploit them.

Q7 is the median of all preflop hands, if he shoves 100% of hands then we can easily assume we are playing against a random hand, your equity against this range would be as follows:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    52.40%  50.56%   1.84% { Q7s, Q7o }
      UTG+1  47.60%  45.76%   1.84% { random }

As you can see, even with a hand this weak you are ahead against his range and will win money long run by getting it in here.

:spade: IF he is shoving every hand.

It should also be noted that the above is an exaggerated case. I.e you may not want to get it in as light as this but it illustrates the fact that you should be willing to stack of a little bit lighter than a normal opponent.

You need to be the one to get to his money first.

But in answer to you original question, I have never seen this before.
    • 1984ioc
      1984ioc
      Bronze
      i don't get it.If he was all in every hand then how could ye continue to pick up the blinds every time it came around to u?I thought the guy in seat 9 went all in every hand thus picking up the blinds.

Seat 9 is entitled to use his chips how he wants.Surely one of ye picked up a hand to call his all in at some stage.
    • pokerprons
      pokerprons
      Bronze
      You never got TT+, AQ+ in 40 minutes?
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      wow! :s_o:

What can I say?! I've never heard of such thing. Certainly surprised that everyone kept their cool at the tables and spent 40 minutes folding every hand.

I don't know if this was the best idea or what but once you have the best hand, you could have call his shove and sooner or later take his chips.

I don't know. Asked some guys to come by and comment.

Ingrid
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      In freeroll tournaments there are usually only 1 or 2 prizes, sometimes more but generally there are alot of runners and not toomany prizes. The prizes could be qualifiers to qualifiers. This is also the same for 1c and 2c tournaments.

I know personally if I misclick register to a tiny tournament or if I play a freeroll I go super duper hyper aggresive and go all in every hand. You reguarly see this in tournaments.

The best way t play against it is the way you did it, wait for big hands, unfortunately sometimes you go absolutely card dead but calling and then folding to his inevitable raises seems -ev.

Wait for pairs and big aces and kings that can dominate his shoving range (atc :D ) and win the flips!

gl
    • onzi132
      onzi132
      Bronze
      they were obviously sitting out
      and you just folded every hand alone
      and seat 9 just shove cuz he saw that only you there
      and you fold everyhand to...
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      maybe they were sat out! Lol.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      he would see the sign "sitting out" right?
    • onzi132
      onzi132
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IngridN
      not every site has it (example: full tilt)
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by onzi132
      Originally posted by IngridN
      not every site has it (example: full tilt)
      oh, how fish I am!
    • slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gadget51
      :D DD
      raven39 hopes they were not.
    • raven39
      raven39
      Bronze
      Yup! It turns out they were all sitting out, having checked the 'fold to any bet' button! It happened again tonight in another freeroll tournament. At first there were one or two people actually playing and then, at the end, only two of us again. After 10 minutes, a third had decided to partake but was soon wiped out.
      The maximum 'actual' players at any one time, in the first quartle, was four.(although the table, of course, was full). Whereas yesterday I felt, and was, a fool, today I played and won!
      Incidently, yesterdays Mr PITA also checked his 'fold ...' button after 3 minutes. Seems I was the only one alive after that.
      What a weird way to play.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      LOL! the whole thing sounds ridiculous! :D
      how much did you win?
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gadget51
      brilliant detective work gadget.