[NL2-NL10] NL4 77 vs AA right to shove when hit on Flop?

• anhvusa
      anhvusa
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $4.61
      SB:
      $4.02
      BB:
      $4.75
      UTG1:
      $3.94
      UTG2 (Hero):
      $3.96
      MP1:
      $3.28
      MP2:
      $4.86
      MP3:
      $1.28
      CO:
      $1.79

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with 7, 7.
      UTG1 folds, Hero raises to $0.16, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.16, 5 folds, 4 folds, 3 folds, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.38) 7, 5, 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.27, MP2 raises to $0.54, Hero raises to $3.80, MP2 calls $3.26.

Turn: ($7.98) Q (2 players)

River: ($7.98) 9 (2 players)

Final Pot: $7.98.

Results follow:

MP2 shows two pairs, aces and nines(Ad Ah).
      Hero shows a full-house, sevens full of nines(7h 7c).

Hero wins with a full-house, sevens full of nines(7h 7c).

I think there is no reason not to shove for the protection here. But I wonder why my $EV is passive? Is my stack small relative to villain's?
  • 4 replies
    • cyclist52
      cyclist52
      Bronze
      Interesting hand in so many ways :-). Villain may think about this hand before slow playing AA pre-flop next time. If he had reraised to $0.48 would you have seen the flop??

But to your question.
      What in villains calling range hit that flop hard enough for you to not be ahead?
      If we assume pocket pairs or suited broadways you are only behind 99. We probably have to assume he would not make the call with 86.

So what are you protecting against?

If he is bad player, which you may have had evidence of, then he would likely be willing to go broke with TPTK or an over pair.

So IMO, if the above assumption is correct, the shove is OK here, but for value rather than protection.

If you didn't think he would call your shove (which is hinted at by your mention of protection) you could consider calling and then shoving the turn. Your goal is to figure out the best way to get all the chips in the middle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      PS: part of beginner course homework is to evaluate hands so take this beginner's opinion which a few grains of salt (or a few kilos)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello anhvusa,

Well, I guess I wouldn't shove directly. :D But I'd rather 3bet ~$1,50 or something similar and let him finish it off. :D No point to Call it anyways while being OOP.

Best Regards.
    • anhvusa
      anhvusa
      Bronze
      @cyclist52:
      Sorry for the lack of a little bit information that I had on my vallian: 11/3/0.3/54/147 [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTSD/Hands] which I based on for a little bit to make decision.

Actually, I would Fold if he 3bet on Flop :D !
      I might be overplayed on the Flop, because of misreading his range and shove here to protect my hand, instead of betting for value.

PS: Don't worry, it's the same to me :D to post comment in Hand Evaluation section for homework. It takes time and effort to read, understand and give comment on others' hands, but it could improve your play somehow.

@Veriz:

Thanks coach for evaluating my hand, not only this hand, but also many other hands I posted in this section. I appreciate your comments on my hands, because they helped alot to spot my leaks and put them back on the way they should be.

Many thanks for all constructive replies, I've learned something from them that could improve my play.

Once again, thanks and best regards,

anhvusa
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Thanks of course for the great feedback. I will be waiting for new hands from yours and we might spot even more leaks. :)