progPoquer

• 16 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello progPoquer,

Welcome to the Course. :) Tell us something about yourself, how long have you been playing poker, how did you find PokerStrategy? Have you already started with your course homework? :P

Best Regards.
    • progPoquer
      progPoquer
      Bronze
      Hi!

Im from Buenos Aires, Argentina!

I ve started playing poker for fun 6 months ago, now i ve started with real money thanks to pokerstrategy two months ago. I ve posted some hands, watching videos, reading articles, and participating in the spanish comunnity. I found this course in the coaching section, with Birbaer.

Ok, Im going to post the homework in the following days!

Thanks and see you soon!

Bye!
    • progPoquer
      progPoquer
      Bronze
      Lesson 1 Homework:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

My motivation: I like strategy games, like chess, teg, poker. Games which involve mind development. I like things related to probabilities too, like every cards game. Here in Argentina we play a game called Truco (Trick). (It has a lot in common with poker. You play with cards, have to deceive your opponent, etc) and i like the excitment of playing for money, of course! I hope i can get as far as i can go.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

Im a rookie, so i guess i have a lot of weaknesses. The one i have recently discovered: sometimes its dificult for me to abandon good starting hands, that are no longer strong after the preflop, and i go on to the turn or river, without equity.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

Tight agressive: it means you play a few strong starting hands and aggresively. Agressive means you (almost) always get into the hand with a raising bet.

I guess this is the best option for begginers in the micro-limits.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Wow, never heard of Truco. Gonna google later on about the game. I also like a lot different kind of card games. :) And thinking-like games.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Also I guess why you are going too often to showdowns is that you are impatient, you wanting to win the money way too fast. But of course experience is other role in the game. About impatience I'd say that, impatience is actually a huge leak for a lot of poker players. You have to find yourself a way how you gonna ignore it or make it disappear. Try every time remind yourself! Forcing into your life to be more patient in any activity you do, not only poker. Force! Force! Force! Always remind what you came to do and the patience will just help you earning more salary not the opposite. With more and more practice you will get used to it and might even stop being impatient.

What about your tilt? Do you tilt? Most likely you do, against it I would recommend trying avoid it, for example easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing rather few hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Some more points earned.
    • progPoquer
      progPoquer
      Bronze
      Here it is a link to the Truco, i couldn't find an english page:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truco_%28juego_de_naipes%29

You play with spanish cards, you can play heads-up, but its funnier playing 2 vs 2, or even 3 vs 3. When you play in a team, you communicate with your partners, using facial signals or others, but you have not to be discovered. :P
      The guy in late position in the team gathers the information, and decides the strategy and how the hand is gonna be played. This game you can bluff or slowplay too. You dont bet money, traditionally you use beans to count the points, but i think you could bet money if you would like to.

Lesson 2 Homework:

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)

I understand that with some hands like Axs or figures, we play speculative hands from late positions, because of the deep stack. Perhaps some hands are played more agressively in SSS or MSS because we dont have to much place for speculation.

Some things i would change from the cart:

1-Why we play call 20 with JJ or TT? Perhaps we could play differently depending on the villain. Plain call rather than call 20.

2- I can see in the hands chart, we should fold AQ, AJ, AT if a villain raises before us. I think i would consider this situation and adapt depending on the villain. If he is tight or opens from early position i would consider folding. If he is too loose i would call with position, and play check/fold or check/call depending the flop.

3- I would call from late position with figures offsuit(ej: QJo) if someone had called before me, rather than folding, as the chart states. Because i have position, and nobody has risen before me. I have pretty strong hands.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

I'll be posting hands soon. :)

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

The equity of AKo against 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo is 45,8%. Calculated with Equilator.

The equity of AKo against 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo is 46,3%. Calculated with Equilab.

Why this difference??
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Wow, sound like an interesting game, should try it. :D Would be great to try out that with friends like 2v2/3v3. Although it seems that you need special cards for it?

1-Why we play call 20 with JJ or TT? Perhaps we could play differently depending on the villain. Plain call rather than call 20.

Well, that's totally true. Although for that you of course have to know your opponent. SHC basically teaches the easiest way to play those hands and not overplay. It's often with those hands if you 3bet/go broke in the spot you at the best might get a coinflip. You have to know that the opponent is able to go broke with a lot wider range.

2- I can see in the hands chart, we should fold AQ, AJ, AT if a villain raises before us. I think i would consider this situation and adapt depending on the villain. If he is tight or opens from early position i would consider folding. If he is too loose i would call with position, and play check/fold or check/call depending the flop.

Yep, totally agree with your thoughts, you are most likely even ahead vs loose open-raise with those hands and can still play the hand postflop easily. :)

3- I would call from late position with figures offsuit(ej: QJo) if someone had called before me, rather than folding, as the chart states. Because i have position, and nobody has risen before me. I have pretty strong hands.

Well, depending in situation I would even advice you to isolate with those hands. You can easily even take down it preflop or either with the initiative postflop.

The equity of AKo against 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo is 45,8%. Calculated with Equilator.The equity of AKo against 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo is 46,3%. Calculated with Equilab.

Don't know but mine gives the same result.
      For Equilab:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

For equilator:
      Equity Win Tie Loss Hand
      Player 1: 46,324% 37,916% 16,815% 45,269% AKo
      Player 2: 53,676% 45,269% 16,815% 37,916% 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • progPoquer
      progPoquer
      Bronze
      You play with spanish cards, 4 suits, 4x12 cards, 48 cards.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Baraja-40-cards.jpg

In this particular game, you dont use eights or nines.

You use 40 cards.
    • progPoquer
      progPoquer
      Bronze
      Hi!

Here Im posting some hands!

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Reproducir mano

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG1:
      $2.60
      UTG2:
      $0.04
      MP1:
      $2.00
      MP2:
      $2.29
      MP3:
      $1.65
      CO (Hero):
      $1.85
      BU:
      $2.13
      SB:
      $0.77
      BB:
      $2.01

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q, T.
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 raises to $0.04(All-In), MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.04, MP3 folds, Hero calls $0.04, 3 folds, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.15) 5, 5, Q (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, MP2 raises to $2.25, Hero?

The small bet by MP2 made me think he had nothing. So I made a value bet 2/3 pot. Then that push surprised me!!

Should i call all-in? Im behind AQ, QQ, KQ, little probable he has 55, i dont think he limps with 5x.
      From that position in an almost limped preflop, AA and QQ are improbable.

What do you think?
    • progPoquer
      progPoquer
      Bronze
      Here it is another!

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Reproducir mano

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP1:
      $2.42
      MP2:
      $0.59
      MP3:
      $2.00
      CO:
      $2.29
      BU:
      $0.55
      SB (Hero):
      $1.98
      BB:
      $2.21
      UTG1:
      $0.79
      UTG2:
      $2.01

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, J.
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.08, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.07, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.18) 7, 8, K (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Turn: ($0.18) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $0.09, Hero calls $0.09.

River: ($0.36) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $0.17, Hero folds, MP1 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.36.

The player raised from UTG. He didnt bet in flop, and bet in turn with the Ace.
      I set his range in river AA, AK, AQ, AJ, is it a correct fold?

Should i have played this hand other way?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello progPoquer,

Would be nice if you posted the hands in Hand Evaluation forums which you started to use already. :) The locker room is rather for strategy/homework discussion. Thanks! Hopefully you understand that. :D Thread would get too much spam and hard to follow.

Best Regards.
    • progPoquer
      progPoquer
      Bronze
      Ok,

No problem! :P

I thought you coaches wanted us to post hands here. I now think, it was part of the homework, for people to learn to post hands in forum.

Soon!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well, also to learn discuss with others the hands. :) Since as you may understand... if someone very active would start posting hands into one thread. What do you think how long it's gonna take to evaluate all the hands. :D All the scrolling and stuff, it's really annoying, that's also a reason why Hand Evaluations have limit hands per thread.
    • progPoquer
      progPoquer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Well, also to learn discuss with others the hands. :) Since as you may understand... if someone very active would start posting hands into one thread. What do you think how long it's gonna take to evaluate all the hands. :D All the scrolling and stuff, it's really annoying, that's also a reason why Hand Evaluations have limit hands per thread.

Yeah!

Im working on that!

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)

Preflop equity:
      KQ 50,78%
      33 49,22%

Flop equity:
      KQ 26,46%
      33 73,54%

but i think KQ has a lot more chances to improve, with the flush draw.

:P

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

In this hand, we havent got a made hand, but there are a lot of draws/outs.

Flush draw+gutshot+overcards= 9(clubs)+3(fours, no club)+6 overcards = 18 outs.

Maybe discounting some, i think there are a lot of outs anyway. The best option is to make a strong raise before the river, perhaps the best option is go all-in, because we have a lot of outs to improve our hand, flush, straight, or top pair, we have odds to make the call, but even better to raise.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I have a question, i dont think its related to postflop specifically, but its related to outs and odds calculation.

Lets say, we have the example of question 2. We count outs and calculate odds. We compare it to pot odds, and decide wether or not its profitable to make a call.

But we are not considering, we are playing with other 8 players, and everyone of them have been dealt two cards, 18 cards(9 players) of 52 total cards. What i mean, if we calculate the effective outs, maybe a more realistic estimate would be half that number.

You know what i mean?
      ?(

Maybe i have 9 outs, and not 18 for that hand, because in average, maybe half of clubs have been dealt to others players who folded that hand, and so on with the rest of the outs.
      I think the calculation we are using is pretty exact for heads up, because almost all cards have not been dealt, but i think its not very precise for FR, a little better for SH tables.
      So i think we have to discount some outs which cant help us, but there are a lot of cards more to discount!

What do you think?

• veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You know what i mean?

Well, of course you know that there are another 18 cards from other opponents or whatsoever. But you can't discard them since you don't know them. That's the reason why you still calculate the odds/outs this way and not taking account other hands since you don't know their cards.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • progPoquer
      progPoquer
      Bronze
      Lesson 4 Homework:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)

This hand I havent got the initiative postflop.
      http://es.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=207589

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users.)
      http://es.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=207562

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

Hero(KQ): 41,39%
      Villain(77):58,6%
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.