Just can't deal with tilt...coping strategies please!

• deezer79
      deezer79
      Bronze
      Getting sucked out on takes all interest out of the game for me. Some donk shoves A5 at the start of the SnG and I call with AK. Three outer right there on the flop for him and it sucks all the life out of me. Happens more than the math would imply. Maybe I'll play again that day but I'm just aching to leave. It's like what my mum used to say when she really wanted to work the guilt, "I'm not angry, I'm disappointed".

Anyone else have this to deal with? Usually I play more than one SnG at a time so it doesn't matter how well I'm doing on the other tables, I just want out. Don't think it affects how I play on the games I still have to slog through but it destroys what little work ethic I have. How am I ever gonna build a bankroll if I can't stay on for more than an hour??

Played 2 6-handed SnGs in the last 45 mins; one I got knocked out of in the hand above and the other I just won. Am ahead but still have no interest in playing on. Seems to be the way lately. Win one, lose one and then go do something else. Please help me with my tilt - drains the fun out of the game. Do you go for a walk? Punch the cat? Happens to us all so how do you cope?
  • 20 replies
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      quit.
    • Heave112
      Heave112
      Bronze
      suck it up and not care. just play and have fun as long as ur doing the right decision all is right.
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Bronze
      Originally posted by furculision
      quit.
      If you can't be helpful they stay the fuck off my thread.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by deezer79
      quit.
      actually quitting the game when you feel you are tilting is the best decision you can make. If you think you are tilting you can either blind out or even walk away straight away (depending on the level of tilt).

The first step is recognizing that you tilt then the best way IMO is coping with tilt away from the tables and come back when you are better. And working little by little with reducing that coping time until (hopefully) it become just a deep breath and you don't even have to leave the tables

So in short i agree when you tilt => quit

;)

Best of luck

Thazar
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Try planning ahead how many games you will be playing for a session.. and play them all no matter what.

You have to know that sngs are very swingy. One suckout can cost you a buy-in and you'd feel like you've wasted 30 minutes on that sng. From your post I understood that you're relatively new so think about your sessions as getting some experience playing the game. You cannot think about making money right now so losing or winning is not that relevant. Think of it as paying for an education especially when you're on the downward slope.

Everyone is sucked out on including Phil Ivey. Why should you be different?

Again, while playing think about it as getting experience. When getting sucked out on think of it as training to deal with getting sucked out on. Sounds cheesy but since this is a huge issue every poker player has to deal with, you're lucky you have to deal with it now when it costs less. I know people who have been on a heater, climb stakes fast and then it hits when it hurts much more.
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      How long have you been playing for?

i think i was just like you with tilt, every time my aces get cracked or idiot fish rivers his gutshot i used to get angry and blow a few buyins.

how i got over this was i just got used to it, suckouts happen so often that there is no point worrying about it or calling the player an idiot. Just think what you done in the hand was right and remember every decision u make thats better than ur opponent means you are the better player. You will get better at this over time.

Right now i think if you're playing cash games and have a tilt problem, switch to sng's where your tilt may be limited to one buyin. Try playing heads up as variance is low and you will find it fun to outplay your opponent.

Only time i tilt now is when playing 2-7 Single Draw cash, thats a sick game!

Good luck :D
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Bronze
      I have been playing at micro-low for a couple of years now and it certainly has got easier. Don't really get mad about it anymore and have accepted that it is going to happen. You do go through phases where it's hard to believe just how much it happens. I'd say that I get knocked out of a SnG with by far the best of it maybe 40% of the time, 40% I win and 20% cos I've pushed a draw or am out kicked. Very rough guesses but the amount of times someone hits their 3 outer on the river on me is just unreal - that seems to be the vast majority of suck out I have to deal with.

Both bits of advice sound good; quit when I'm emotional or force myself to play a set amount. I usually join more than one at a time so when that shitty kicker of theirs pairs on the river, I will have one more game to sit through. Problem is that I'm never going to build a bankroll when, a) I run this bad, and b) I quit when I take a beat. How will I be anything but a marginal winner if I just walk away?
    • boboistina
      boboistina
      Bronze
      when i get sucked on alot in succesion i like to look at my HEM stats and laugh at how a red line on a graph runs all the way up and away from my green line which seems to have a very hard hard time getting away from 0 and i laugh, and dream that there will be a month when green line will be above the red line, knowing full well there will be no such month (actually there was 1 on Fulltilt just before they were closed, should have known something is wrong and withdraw). After i had a good laugh and forgot all about suckouts i'm ready to hit the tables again play my A game and give variance a slap in the face.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      At the risk of being told to "get the £%^$ off my thread"..... I like to stop and have tea and biscuits when i lose a couple of buy-ins, this seems to help me achieve my inner balance again :)

Roo

=)
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      I deal with tilt by running through the fields screaming f uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu donks and pounding my fists into the ground, then return to my chair where I am now sufficently tired to not care if I loose. :f_biggrin:
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roopopper
      At the risk of being told to "get the £%^$ off my thread"..... I like to stop and have tea and biscuits when i lose a couple of buy-ins, this seems to help me achieve my inner balance again :)

Roo

=)
      Fine advice! And I love Matel's idea of setting a certain amount of games to play per day; that way I'll feel motivated to come back to the game when I'm more focused. Started today with the plan to play 10 6max SnGs and have done 7 so far. Cashed first twice and second 4 times. Two suck outs, one which cost me first place money in one but I'm doing well so can't be too mad. That's poker!
    • xXMugetsuXx
      xXMugetsuXx
      Basic
      Look, I feel your pain when it comes to getting sucked out on. Thing is, its part of the game. There are so many moronic players out there and it seems like its always in their favor. But its not really. You are going to have good days, you're going to have bad days, and then you're going to have days where it seems everything goes your way. VARIANCE is a huge part of poker, more so in NLHE. If you feel like you are getting drained from the suckouts and its killing your work ethic then its time for a break. Maybe a day or maybe a few weeks.When you start getting that itch, the one where you are dying to get back on the felts then come on back.

Let me say this, if you are getting sucked out on try not to get upset and definitely do not let it discourage you from working on your game. When your opponent sucks out and you know you played correctly then let that be a guiding light for you. As long as you're making the correct moves. On the days where you're running bad and others are seemingly catching every out; step away from the tables and read up on your poker books or go back into your hand history and evaluate your play. Most sites have the player note option, USE IT and document the horrid play of your opponents and use it against them when you run into them again.

Keep your head up. Become a student of the game and I promise you things will get better. Ohh,look around your neighborhood and find any poker leagues you can join. These will be a great help in getting live experience and it'll get you away from these moron "lets click the all in button" players. I have found that when you are sitting in front of an opponent they are less likely to make stupid plays (unless they just don't know any better) because they have to deal with the humiliation face to face.
      TC and best of luck on the felts.
    • sharpred
      sharpred
      Bronze
      I heard you shouldnt call All-in in the beginning of a SNG with AK .. ..
      well ye, unless you are convinced hes a donkey
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Problem is that I'm never going to build a bankroll when, a) I run this bad, and b) I quit when I take a beat. How will I be anything but a marginal winner if I just walk away?
      No, you will never be able to grind it out if you get so tilted after a few suckouts. You just have to deal with it and dont give a shit when you bust out of like 10 SnGs in a row.

I think your problem is low volume. If you want to grind SNGs fro a living then you really have to put in at least 30-50 games a day. And you can never do that by only 2 tabling. ANd once you start running 10+ tables at once you wont even noticed your AK lost to his KTo.

SNGs variance can be pretty brutal and even the best players can have a break even run over like 1k games. In general dealing with suck outs gets easier the more volume you put in since you get used to it. But if you were playing for years and still tilt everytime you get sucked out then maybe you just can't handle it and you should re-consider your carrer choice. Not every one can play poker for a living.
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Bronze
      Have started doing that now and was feeling pretty good about it. Only feel confident to play 4 games at was and set myself a goal of doing ten no matter what. Bankroll jumped up quite nicely and you're right, didn't much care about suck outs cos I was so busy.

Spectacular beat just hit me (flopped nut straight and flush draw, knocked out by runner runner full house. Would love to know the math on that) tho and I lost 3 flips in a row. Stepping away for the day after that. Baby steps :) . Not quite ready to not care if I lose 4 SnGs in a row, never mind 10.
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      quit.
      Hes right, if u cant take it dont play, this is going to happen ALL the time, just make the right decisions and if u get sucked out.. So be it
    • SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      I will give you another perspective:

I play mainly NL25 and NL50 cash games, but I started to toy around with 1.50$ 18-player SnGs for one reason - it helps me to fight the tilt!!! :f_biggrin:

Doesn't make sense?

I look at it this way... In those SnGs with all-ins all the time its easy to see in how many times and in how many different ways you can get sucked out. After some time, when you have lost with AA to Q8o and K3o, you really stop paying attention to losing with AA to something like KQs when they river a flush in a cash game.

All in all - I think you haven't played enough SnGs...
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      I had this same problem with SNG's when I first started out on PS.com. I read loads of articles and books on SNG's (in particular Collin Moshmans' SNG strategy - if you continue with SNG's it is a must read) and was 4 - 8 tabling SNG's, but couldn't get anywhere. That wasnt the problem though, tilt was. I would spend a couple of hours bubbling,busting, min cashing and generally not getting anywhere, just tilting and getting jaded.

Then I tried **FR**cash.....boom, no more tilt. ( can't vouch for SH/HU since I don't play them much and variance is higher)

Try the new beginner's course if you do. If you only put in 50% of the max effort you will begin to see profit immediately.

Also you might want to have a more conservative approach to BRM. I find this helps a lot when you recieve beats. Money and buy ins will be of lesser importance to you overall bankroll and mentality.
    • Krzych113
      Krzych113
      Silver
      try this
      http://thinksimplenow.com/happiness/the-power-of-language/ this explains why of course you can't