sufix645

• sufix645
      sufix645
      Bronze
      Hello,
      My name is Edgars and Im from Latvia. Im 23 years old. I kinda droped out from University because of lack of interest of what I was getting there. Sucks because I had only 2 subjects and final job to do (ups :D ). At the moment Im just working at some random job until New Year and them Im getting back at the school - well you cant work some random job for every you know.. :)
      Me & poker.
      Im into poker quite a while. exactly 1 year ago I was playing freerolls and won some bucks there. After that I shiped now and then and managed to win about 7k-ish$ - mostly MTTs. Made mistake to cash out too much and spend way more that I can afford.
      When I started Cash games SH I made NL4 to NL25 (30 BI brm) in like 35 days, but then got some bad times and big swings and FTP took my 1.7k-ish main BR and quita a big Downswing again (-600eur in september and first losing month since december if we dont count FTP going off as a downswing) and I lost my game in a way. So Im here and I think Ill give a try to FR. Or maybe stick to SH? What do you think? My plan is to start it all over again from rock bottom. I still have BR for NL25 (20BIs), but I think Ill do it a bit tighter again - like 25 BI when I feel my game is on for 110% but mostly Ill play for 30 BIs. So Ill start with NL10. I hope this will help my game in b4 I go busto :/
  • 12 replies
    • sufix645
      sufix645
      Bronze
      Lesson 1 Homework:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

So as I said before I will start studying again in New year. And then I would need to get my game and BR to the level I can comfortably play NL50 and hopefully NL100, but time will show that :) My motivation firstly is financial freedom. And one more thing.. I just love the game and I like play it :)

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

My main weakness is discipline.
      Usually I play after work so Im almost always a bit tired I guess, but still can play (I think).
      I know for sure I play too tight (19.6/15.4) in 6max.
      Im bad against blind steals (when Im in BB or SB)
      I dont know when to quit - In weekends I play long hours and usually its till 4-5 AM, when I feel auto-pilot-ish in 3:00 or so
      I think I dont tilt, but I guess its just about monkey-tilt. I keep it cool always.
      I guess I play too long seasions.
      I might play too much tables, since My main aim is improving. And I dont think that deep as I should

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

Play tight range and when you play it do it aggressive. It works because ppl just dont like to play out of the comfort zone and if you put a pressure on them, they will make mistakes.

P.S.
      Were can I find homeworks? I just copied questions from another players this time.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

So Im here and I think Ill give a try to FR. Or maybe stick to SH? What do you think?

Well, you can always start with FR and then switch to SH. It really is up to you, which game-type you like more. Some like just straight forward play which is FR and some like more action and opponent based decisions then it's SH.

Although I would advice to switch to bigger BRM so you could also withdraw money and wouldn't have any huge swings which would affect it. For example for NL100+ the minimum for me is 50BIs.

The only way to practice discipline is of course to force yourself. Definitely it's kinda hard to do that but nowadays everything is made so easy with the computers and internet. That's also why a lot of people might even lack of discipline, no need to do any hard things. :D Like my teacher once said that they had to go to Russian library to get some kind of engineering material to pass an exam. Try to always remind yourself what you are doing on the tables and the more discipline you are the more money you are able to earn and less mistakes to make.

Playing tired can cause a lot problems. Usually you are moody when tired and get easily angry. Which means you get easily tilty that brings towards you playing less your A-game. You have to find a way to adjust to that. For example against tilt the easiest way to fight is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Playing too long sessions ain't wrong if you still keep winning and not loosing too much. And if you feel you still playing your a-game then why not to continue? Although playing too many tables can usually bring you to rather loose money than win. :( And also of course the learning progress will be smaller with it. You wont concentrate on opponents, you will be pretty much autopiloting which is just bad. :(

Tight style is usually called playing rather few hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Homeworks can be found: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1992/1/

Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Some more points earned.
    • JohnTheGreatest
      JohnTheGreatest
      Bronze
      GL, bro! :)
    • sufix645
      sufix645
      Bronze
      So I decided to play SH and questions would be about it.

Homework #2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I would not play AQs in the same way as ATo for sure. I would raise AQ in the middle position if there is was no raise before me, since there is alot of Ax and Qx that would call the raise and we can get 2 streats of value quite easy.

And I dont quite understand why we need to call (limp) 22-99 if there was no raise before us, since we can get better action post flop if just raise and hit the set, or just cbet most of the flops if we dont. If OP will hit the board they will usually continue with w/e they have or they wont. we just allow them to make less costly mistakes

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      Didnt find any hands right now, but have some questions in general.

calling 3-bets OOP and 4-bets in every situation without intention to slowplay AAs is just bad at any situation right? (being 100bb deep)

what we can do against facing raise from reg-ish players being OOP with AJ/AQ, KQ, KJs, QJs?

Whats the best play with pairs in blinds? Against what kinda OPs we call20 and what kinda OPs we 3-bet?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)
      We have 46.32% equity
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

I would not play AQs in the same way as ATo for sure. I would raise AQ in the middle position if there is was no raise before me, since there is alot of Ax and Qx that would call the raise and we can get 2 streats of value quite easy.

You can even isolate with ATo as well and take the initiative. :) Often times you taking it down either preflop or postflop with CBet but of course that as well depends on the opponent.

And I dont quite understand why we need to call (limp) 22-99 if there was no raise before us, since we can get better action post flop if just raise and hit the set, or just cbet most of the flops if we dont. If OP will hit the board they will usually continue with w/e they have or they wont. we just allow them to make less costly mistakes

Playing PPs can be in long run actually be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them. You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that. Also I totally agree with you about the raise part, rather start to get a habit by raising them on lower limits. Since on higher limits with limping you wont play your hand profitable while good players will understand with what you limping.

calling 3-bets OOP and 4-bets in every situation without intention to slowplay AAs is just bad at any situation right? (being 100bb deep)

Well, I wouldn't say. I mean if you face a raise/3bet then why not to flat it? I mean with 4bet you are practically saying them that you have KK+. For that reason rather trap and let 1st raiser maybe even raise/shove.

what we can do against facing raise from reg-ish players being OOP with AJ/AQ, KQ, KJs, QJs?

Well, there are of course several options. We could 3bet as a bluff, we could Call and play postflop. Depends really on the opponent. Against some I might even just fold, although if he is raising a lot then folding might be too weak.

Whats the best play with pairs in blinds? Against what kinda OPs we call20 and what kinda OPs we 3-bet?

Well, depends of course on the limits. Against thinking regs and who have loose range of course rather 3bet it. Since you ain't gonna get much value postflop while his range is wide and he will also be able to get away with pairs or anything similar. Against bad players we of course can easily Call and just play for the set value.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • sufix645
      sufix645
      Bronze
      Im enjoying it very much, since I have some black spots in my game and now I am not on grind-only mode anymore. Im really happy I joined this course. Thanks for your time you are putting in this thing! :)
    • sufix645
      sufix645
      Bronze
      Few quite interesting hands I played. Did I played it ok?
      QTs NL10

Nl10 Tt
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by sufix645
      Few quite interesting hands I played. Did I played it ok?
      QTs NL10

Nl10 Tt
      Guess you got your answers. So how you doing so far?
    • sufix645
      sufix645
      Bronze
      Im doing quite good. Got my BR to shoot NL25, but failed it (-6BI from game +1BI RB)
      I was wondering if I can not change all tables at one time, but for example I play 6 tables all the time. when my BR is 20 BI for the new level I take 1 table of NL25 and 5 tables of NL10. When I have like 23 BIs I take 2 tables of NL25 and 4 tables of NL10 and so on.. What do you think? I am always failing first shots.
      P.S. I hope to do the homework today :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by sufix645
      Im doing quite good. Got my BR to shoot NL25, but failed it (-6BI from game +1BI RB)
      I was wondering if I can not change all tables at one time, but for example I play 6 tables all the time. when my BR is 20 BI for the new level I take 1 table of NL25 and 5 tables of NL10. When I have like 23 BIs I take 2 tables of NL25 and 4 tables of NL10 and so on.. What do you think? I am always failing first shots.
      P.S. I hope to do the homework today :)
      Well, of course you can but even 25BIs is pretty aggressive BRM. For playing SH I would definitely use even bigger BI rule. After NL25 it's a sure thing to do.

For some people it's hard to play this way like different limits but it's not forbidden. :) You can do whatever you are feeling alright. It might work for you but it's not working for your friend.
    • sufix645
      sufix645
      Bronze
      Homework #3

Question 1: You are holding K:spade: Q:spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3:diamond: 3 :club: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade: ?
      Pre:
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% K:spade: Q:spade:
      MP3 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% 3:diamond: 3 :club:

Flop:
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% K:spade: Q:spade:
      MP3 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% 3:diamond: 3 :club:

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: J :club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 2 :club: 6:diamond: 3:diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 :club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

I would call.
      Against range I gave him I got (dont remember if that was range You gave in coaching video):
      Equity Win Tie
      Hero 21.22% 18.56% 2.66% A :club: J:club:
      BU 78.78% 76.12% 2.66% 66-33, A4s, 65s, 54s, 43s, A4o

I put him on strong made hand, so we have quite big Implied odds since he usually cant get away from that and at the moment we have 1:4.13 odds and from our flush outs we need 1:4, so even with no implied odds we still could call here.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

78s NL25
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!