My NLHE project

• Samo2
      Samo2
      Bronze
      Hi, everybody

My name is Samo and I've been around Pokerstrategy for few years. I've been playing poker ever since I've joined PS and I can say I have tried many forms of Texas Holdem by now. I've figured out I prefer NLHE. I also play DoN tournaments when it comes to clearing the bonus, since I can't afford more than an hour or so of poker per day due to other "important" things in my everyday schedule :f_cry: (regular job, family, ...). I'm middle aged guy who is enjoying playing some poker when he has some spare time, which doesn't come as frequently as I would like to.

Until few days ago my poker funds were all over some poker rooms and I've decided to put most of them into one new poker room. I've asked about this at forum, which you can read about in this thread. I've opened an account at 888 poker, as I was suggested and this evening I've managed to upload $197. I was also given $10 bonus + I'm eligible for 100% first deposit bonus. I can say that I was positively surprised with their support, because I had a small problem with depositing funds and they've resolved it immediately.

So about my project now. I'm planning to play NLHE. My current goals are:
      - start at NL5
      - use proper bankroll management, so I will move to NL10 when I reach $250
      - play 2 tables at most
      - sometimes I will play DoN tournaments at $5 level to help me clear FD bonus in 90 days
      - study silver articles, post hands to evaluation forum, watch NLHE videos, especially Crushing NL50 series
      - take care of this blog and post on regular basis to keep motivation at high level

Any suggestions are welcomed.
  • 16 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hey Samo!

Welcome to our blog section!

Superhappy that you decided to open up and let us follow your steps to the sky! :)

I can feel that your frustrated about not having enough time to play and spend on study because of real life commitments. It's important that you don't take this negative energy into those little time frames which you spare for study/play poker. Try to stay positive and make the most out of it :) promise it will work out.

Keep proper bankroll management is the first step :) which you seemed to have already. Keep posting hands and progress so we can comment and discuss with you.

Looking forward to this and have a nice weekend
      Ingrid
    • darkprice
      darkprice
      Bronze
      Hi Samo2!

Your plan sounds awesome! Hope you do well and study hard, we need more black members ;)

Any plans on how much you want to play/study poker each week/month?
    • Samo2
      Samo2
      Bronze
      Thanks for the positove feedback. I'll try to stay focused and do my best.

I normaly have an hour per day to spend for poker, maybe a little bit more during weekends, especially in winter time, which is coming very soon :f_biggrin: . I normally try to study one day and play the next day or so, depends on other real life activities.
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Do you really want to play 2 tables at most? I mean NL5 is not a rocket science it's not like you will spend minutes thinking there about a decision, just play more tables and tighten up. It's because if you are playing about 1h a day it will take some time.
    • Samo2
      Samo2
      Bronze
      I'll try to play more, but probably just 4 at the beginning. I'll see how it will go. If I won't feel OK I'll just drop down to 2.
    • Samo2
      Samo2
      Bronze
      My first day at 888 started yesterday. I've played one 5+0.5 DoN just to see how they are going there and have finished out of money (in 6th place, of course).

Anyway, after that I decided to stick to the plan and went to play NL5. I've played 4 tables at once and I can say that the players are soft. I've managed to win back almost all the money lost at DoN finising in the 14bb/100 winning rate :f_biggrin: . We'll see how it goes.
    • Samo2
      Samo2
      Bronze
      Well, first week is behind me and here is my first weekly review. Actually it will be from the beginning of October.

It has been an interesting week. I've managed to play almost 15 hours all together. I have spent almost all week adjusting my play to the soft games and incredibly loose players at NL6 level. I had to learn one of the basic rules, the "small hands for small pots, big hands for big pots" rule, in hard way :f_mad: . Sometimes it was really unbeliveable what river brought to those loose villains.

Another thing I've done was that I started to 4-table and yesterday even to 6-table. It was hard at the beginning but later I've got used and it also helped my play as I figured out you should not spend to much time thinking at each hand, because other players are so loose - if you hit strong hand, you try to maximize the pot and take everything, otherwise just check/fold. You also should not bluff because it almost never works.

Another important thing I started to use was HM HUD - it is obligatory, so you can see who is tight and adjust accordingly.

All in all, here are the stats:
      - starting funds: 201 USD
      - current funds: 220 USD
      - hands: 3891 (some are from NL10)
      - bb/100: 8.19 (NL6 11.87)

And the graphs:

By samo4 at 2011-10-09

By samo4 at 2011-10-09

As you can see, I had a nice drop at NL10, which was a result of running KK into AA. It happens, that's poker.

Anyway, I'm happy with my NLHE poker by now. I'm waiting to get to 250 USD to start playing at NL10, which will be a totally different story. See you around.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      keep working Samo, nice come back anyway.

Another thing I've done was that I started to 4-table and yesterday even to 6-table. It was hard at the beginning but later I've got used and it also helped my play as I figured out you should not spend to much time thinking at each hand, because other players are so loose - if you hit strong hand, you try to maximize the pot and take everything, otherwise just check/fold. You also should not bluff because it almost never works.

true, on micro stakes you shouldn't spend so much time thinking. Get done the basics well and play your A-game.
    • Samo2
      Samo2
      Bronze
      Thanks for reply. I'll try to do my best.

I have one thing that is bordering me - when I'm in late position and have pocket AK (suited or not) and there are 3+ limpers ahead - what is the best move? Should I raise a lot or just limp? It happened to me many times lately.
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Samo2

I have one thing that is bordering me - when I'm in late position and have pocket AK (suited or not) and there are 3+ limpers ahead - what is the best move? Should I raise a lot or just limp? It happened to me many times lately.
      Against limpers you always want to raise with AK. Especially in position. If you want to win a big pot with your strong hands, you need to build the pot. ;) Also if you only limp, you give other players cheap flop and they can hit their two-pair or set.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TiciBoy
      Originally posted by Samo2

Against limpers you always want to raise with AK. Especially in position. If you want to win a big pot with your strong hands, you need to build the pot. ;) Also if you only limp, you give other players cheap flop and they can hit their two-pair or set.
      gotta agree with my man Tici :f_biggrin:

easy easy raise. (raise big)
    • Samo2
      Samo2
      Bronze
      It's time for another weekly update.

What can I say? It's been an interesting week. I didn't have much time I could devote to poker, so I was able to play just app. 7 hours. At the beginning of the week I have decided to take a shot at NL10 with intention to switch back to NL6 if things wouldn't go to the plan. Anyway, everything went fine and I have made a nice upgrade to my bankroll :f_biggrin: . Here are the current results:

a) Overall:
      - hands played: 6108
      - winnings: 69.89 USD
      - bb/100: 13.5

b) NL10:
      - hands played: 2396
      - winnings: 51.06 USD
      - bb/100: 21.31

c) Current bankroll: 274 USD

I'm playing more or less according to the PS NLHE BSS starting hand chart. I adjust when I get a specific read on any player. Otherwise I play aggressively after the flop when I hit, otherwise I just check/fold.

Players are mostly very loose and sometimes it's really amazing what they are willing to call your pre and after flop raises with. And of course, when they hit anything they won't fold, no matter what you do, which I used to win some nice pots.

I can say I like 888poker. I hope to progress here even more. There's enough traffic even in the weekend mornings, so I can play while my girls are still sleeping :f_cool: .

I need to study some more silver articles, because I would like to prepare for higher limits. I'm planning to get to the NL20 by the end of the year.

I'm also thinking about buying a book on NLHE poker when I'll get enough points, but I'm not sure if it is worth the points as PS has very good articles. Any suggestions?
    • Samo2
      Samo2
      Bronze
      October has ended and here is a small review. I haven't been posting for last two weeks mostly because I didn't have much time and also i don't want to bother everybody with too much posting.

I'm doing quite well at the moment, going up and down (more up than down) and yesterday I've made it to my goal for October, which was $ 300 bankroll at 888poker. I would reach it even earlier, but I've tried few $ 5.5 SNGs and didn't reach the ITM zone. :f_cry:

My current stats are:

a) Overall:
      - hands played: 11072
      - winnings: 122.67 USD
      - bb/100: 12.21

b) NL10:
      - hands played: 7360
      - winnings: 103.84 USD
      - bb/100: 14.11

And here's the graph:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm surprised with the players there. Many times you have a good starting hand and play it aggressively, but they just keep calling. At the end, they lose it all or get a miracle river card, so it's impossible to have a proper strategy for this. I would like to show you few examples, but hand converter doesn't work for 888poker hand history.

My goals for November:
      - keep playing at NL10
      - reach $400 bankroll
      - study more silver articles and prepare for NL20
      - post regularly at this blog

I think this are realistic goals according to the spare time I have.

Take care everybody.
    • Samo2
      Samo2
      Bronze
      Hi everybody,

I have decided to continue this blog of mine which I interupted so long ago. It happened because of some privat issues and so I wasn't able to concentrate on playing poker regularly. Now I want to continue with my recreational career starting from scratch.

Ma current poker situation is:
      - I have about 90 $ spread over 7 poker rooms which I guess is not very smart :f_confused:
      - I have obtained a PT4 licence by joining their "get it free" procedure at one of the poker rooms
      - my wife is not very happy seeing me sitting behind the computer and playing poker, because I just spend a lot of time with almost no results (2 times I cashed out a small amount of money and that was all). OK, I have to admit she is right :f_cry: .

My biggest problem was that whenever I earned some bankroll I moved that money to another room trying to earn some bonus money. Soon I have figured out that this is impossible as I wasn't able to play enough hands to earn the bonus. As a result I started to play at higher limits or at SNGs not sticking to the proper bankroll management which at the end resulted in loosing almost all the bankroll I brought to the poker room.

So I've figured I have to change something. I have decided to start from scratch. My new plan is this:
      - read again all the articles on NLHE FR strategy up to silver level. Implement the proper strategy and play style.
      - follow the proper bankroll management
      - focus on 2 or 3 rooms only and try to increase the bankroll at that rooms.

So let's see if I can be successful in following this strategy.
    • Oly0909
      Oly0909
      Silver
      Hi Samo2,

nice to see you're back. I had a pause of like a year because of similar reason, and now I decided I'll try one more time starting from scratch (well almost, got 7,70 on Poker770). I'm back on NL2 but it looks I need some learning to start winning even on that limit. It'll be a loooong way up. Hope I'll manage it this time.
      The reason I'm writing this is your bonuses problem. I think you should forget all about bonuses and focus on your play. Building your roll and improving your game is the most important thing for us beginners. Just play on one pokerroom, or 2 if you can multiplatform. Be patient all the way up to NL100, and than you can go for bonuses because on that limit you'll be able to collect enough points to unlock all bonuses. I think that's the most +EV move ;-)

Best Regards!
    • Samo2
      Samo2
      Bronze
      Thanks for your reply. You're right about bonuses. This is the game for big boys that don't have regular job but spend most of the day grinding at higher limits.
      Anyway, I'll play in 2 poker rooms to see how I can do in each one, are there any diferences etc. I'll post my results at least once a month.