radioheadns

• radioheadns
      radioheadns
      Global
      Hello!

My name is Mateusz and I'm from Poland. I'm playing poker about 2 years. I started from live games NL5 (in my currency ~1,5$). I played then only for fun, i did not have any strategy. In march i deposit 35$ and I started playing 1,5$ SNG STT.

I had also a short episode with NL Holdem (20k hands on NL2 FR and a little on NL5). Two months ago i had to withdraw my bankroll and I had a break from poker.

Week ago my buddy lent me $50 for playing poker (he also playing NL). I want to now begin the hard work and learn NL Holdem from scratch. I think that this course will help me in this. :f_biggrin:
  • 8 replies
    • radioheadns
      radioheadns
      Global
      Homework 1:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

Poker is great game thanks to which I can develop in various fields. Also I want to be financially independent and I think that poker can help me with this.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I think that my biggest weakness is not planning a hand from the beginning.

Too easily giving up a hand (TPTK) or not giving up (for example: two pairs on wet board)

Sometimes i play like a robot, I do not pay attention to my opponents.

I do not have the discipline.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

It means that we play only a small range of all possible starting hands, and we are trying to earn them as much as possible through aggressive game (raising instead of checking, etc.)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Playing Auto-Pilot will not teach you much, for the beginners I would really advice to rather learn the game and try to understand what you doing preflop/postflop. Rather than play autopilot and not understanding anything you doing. You will just continue doing mistakes and wont even fix them. You will not understand what's the opponent range or either if you are beat or not. Rather play less tables and concentrate on the learning part than ignore everything during the game. On higher limits it becomes very important that you don't have such a bad habit as Auto-Piloting since it will affect your overall game. You wont earn enough of profit from it while you just ignore opponents play.

Discipline is common problem for a lot of players. Few things you could set up for yourself is that you can put a plan which you follow. Like playing according the plan, trying to follow it and at the same time trying to force yourself to be disciplined rather than ignore the game. Also try to avoid distractions which can cause even to be undisciplined.

Tight style is usually called playing rather few hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Some more points earned.
    • radioheadns
      radioheadns
      Global
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I think i should raise Pocket pairs in any possition because these hands are pretty good. I could hit set and make money if not I still have the initiative and very often win pot with cbet.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Q8s NL2 Stealing from SB

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range?

46.32%

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      MP3    53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Playing PPs can be in long run actually be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them. You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • radioheadns
      radioheadns
      Global
      HW3:

Question 1: You are holding KsQs. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3d3c? How does the equity change on this flop: Js5d3s?

Preflop: Coinflip

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      MP3    49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Flop: no good...

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3    73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AcJc
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 2c6d3d (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5c (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

On preflop BU just call raise so most frequently he have pocket pairs (set mining). On flop we check, std play with missed set but if he have 44 or 55 he also have gutshot straight draw. Hero beting on T and BU raising, he could hit his straight or set. We have 5,1:1 pot odds (1,13:0,22) so we must have 19% equity:

Board: 2:club: 3:diamond: 6:diamond:  5:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    20.45%  18.18%   2.27% { AcJc }
      MP3    79.55%  77.27%   2.27% { 55-44 }

Also we are 100bb deep and vilian hit good hand so we have implied pot odds and we could play it without 19% equity.

Answer: CALL

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

76s NL2
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • radioheadns
      radioheadns
      Global
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

AKo NL2

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

nl5 - TPTK

Question 3: You are on the flop with KsQd. The board cards are Js, 9c, 8h, and your opponent holds 7c7h. What is your equity in this spot?

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      MP3    58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.