PickoCro

• PickoCro
      PickoCro
      Platinum
      Hello everyone!

My name is Jurica (just so there is no confusion with the foreigners, Jurica is a perfectly common male name in my country :D ) and i m from Croatia. I we been playing poker for around 2 years but with long breaks, effectively i we probably been playing for about 4-5-6 months.

Started out with 50$ on Party playing nl10 full ring (later it was nl25) which i turned into about 800$, then had a massive downswing which was accompanied by some pretty bad and tilty play and withdrawn what i had left cause i needed the money. That was like 6 months ago...

Now a few weeks ago i deposited again and started playing so since i want to completely start over and play seriously i ll do the beginners course although i don t consider myself a complete beginner, but hey i m out of shape and doing the basics all over certainly can t harm me.

Soooooo there s nothing left to say except lets do this!!!!!!
  • 22 replies
    • andiperusko
      andiperusko
      Bronze
      Bok Jurica ! Dobrodosao na pokerstrategy ! :D
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello PickoCro,

Welcome to the course. That's really good to hear that you turned your starting capital into such money. :) But as you know after every upswing there is a downswing which happened to you. From that kind of part we actually are learning and trying to fix the leaks. This is also the part which will separate a good and bad player. Good players will get along and not loose that much money while loosing players get into tilt and will loose more money than they won.

So hopefully you already stated with the homeworks and lets hope we will see them soon enough. :D But meanwhile good luck on tables and have fun with the course!

Best Regards.
    • PickoCro
      PickoCro
      Platinum
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I am probably the biggest poker fan there is... I like watching poker, playing poker, reading articles, everything about it... Also i find it very interesting that such a complex strategy is made from such a simple game... I am extremely competitive so it s also a pretty big challenge for me and it s definitely a better way to make money than doing physical work in the sun. And who doesn t like to gamble right?

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Autopiloting. I really hate myself for that... When i play and am fully concentrated i feel i can beat anyone, but when i play and watch tv at the same time, or talk to someone, or just think about stuff that are not related to what i am doing i just make decisions based on nothing...

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

It means that we are selective about the hands we play and that we play them aggressively(yeah i know it s a pretty lazy response)...
    • PickoCro
      PickoCro
      Platinum
      Originally posted by andiperusko
      Bok Jurica ! Dobrodosao na pokerstrategy ! :D

Hvala buraz... Uvijek je lijepo poznati jezik cut...
    • n3w8i3
      n3w8i3
      Bronze
      hello jura... vidim - ima nas ;)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

And who doesn t like to gamble right?

Well, I don't like to gamble, I'd rather like to be ahead when I go all-in. :D

Playing Auto-Pilot will not teach you much, for the beginners I would really advice to rather learn the game and try to understand what you doing preflop/postflop. Rather than play autopilot and not understanding anything you doing. You will just continue doing mistakes and wont even fix them. You will not understand what's the opponent range or either if you are beat or not. Rather play less tables and concentrate on the learning part than ignore everything during the game. On higher limits it becomes very important that you don't have such a bad habit as Auto-Piloting since it will affect your overall game. You wont earn enough of profit from it while you just ignore opponents play.

Easiest way to not get distracted, just try always remind yourself. I have to close the browser(or whatever you have as distraction)! I am trying to win money here and make something for living not watching something on youtube(etc). This might work for some. Also train that on every session and at some spot you will get used to that. For yourself you might even have to find other way.

Tight style is usually called playing rather few hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Best of Luck in the Course. Some more points earned.
    • PickoCro
      PickoCro
      Platinum
      So i just realized i posted my 2nd homework and an update as a new thread instead of a reply here (boy am i stupid), to my defense it is kinda late... Am gonna paste them here and ask someone to delete them... Moderators do your thing...

Ty in advance
    • PickoCro
      PickoCro
      Platinum
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

Well first of all i agree with everything said in Hasenbraten s Crushing NL50 that was part of this lesson s reading material, regarding the shc... Also i don t like how the shc suggests to call 22-99 from mid position if nobody called, because i really don t like to open-limp, id much radder fold like 22-66, maybe even 77 depending on the table and raise 88-99. Also we could raise much more hands from late positions, but i guess it s all depends on the players skill level, the table, and limit you are playing. For the absolute beginner (nl2, nl5) the shc is perfect and doesn t need changing but when you get to nl10, nl25, nl50 you should try to make some changes to the shc that suit your playing style...

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

NL25 JJ vs shortstack 4bet

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

46,32%
    • PickoCro
      PickoCro
      Platinum
      So i just wanted to give a quick update if anyone is interested (not that i think anyone is :D )... Just started playing NL25 like 3-4 days ago and had some pretty good results played 2 1000 hand sessions every day(yeah i m a bad student so i have a lot of spare time ;) ) and didn t have a loosing session yet (smallest i won was like 1,5 buyin,).

Don t know if i m running good, playing good, or are the opponents just really bad but something is clicking... Been reading and watching videos every day so i feel really good about myself pokerwise (thank you pokerstrategy)...

Plan on playing and reading as much as i can but the weekend is near (party time) and college started so i ll have to show up now and then , but i am motivated and love playing so that won t be a problem...

Just wanna say thanks to everyone keeping this site going (must be pretty boring reading all this stuff..), and i guess i l post my progress as soon as something cool happens...
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Playing PPs can be in long run actually be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them. You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that. Raising PPs is of course totally fine, it's the line which you should even get a habit of since on higher limits you can't play very profitable by limping those hands.

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • PickoCro
      PickoCro
      Platinum
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

Preflop:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Flop:

Board: 5dJs3s
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Well I guess it all depends on the opponent, but with no info on villain it s probably best to just call and reevaluate the river. We are getting 4:1 witch are the odds we need (not to mention implied odds)... I posted a hand almost identical to this one in the hands section vs a super aggressive villain and a coach told me vs aggressive players raise/push your draws vs nits call (if you have the odds/think you ll get payed if you hit)so if we had any info guess that would be the way to go...

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

NL25 full house river decision

Just one quick question... Do i have to attend the live coachings or can i just watch the recordings? I mean i plan to attend a few but i don t wan t to wait forever to watch lesson 1,2,3 etc coachings...
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

Just one quick question... Do i have to attend the live coachings or can i just watch the recordings? I mean i plan to attend a few but i don t wan t to wait forever to watch lesson 1,2,3 etc coachings...

Well, you can watch, you can attend. Choose between whichever suits for you. :)

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • PickoCro
      PickoCro
      Platinum
      Homework 4

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

78s middle pair facing push in 3bet pot

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

FR50 QQ 4betted

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

Board: 8hJs9c
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 41.41% 41.41% 0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1 58.59% 58.59% 0.00% { 7h7c }
    • PickoCro
      PickoCro
      Platinum
      So i haven t posted anything in here for a while, just wanted to say that thats because something was wrong with my computer and my hand histories weren t being saved, so i couldn t do the homeworks....

But now that that s fixed i m back and i plan on finishing this beginners course (although i don t know if it s still active, hope it is) so i can move on some more advanced stuff...

Moved up 2 limits since i last posted, was just starting NL25, now i m playing NL100 :D , (hence the platinum, soon-to-be diamond status)...

I m enjoying playing poker, think i ve gotten a lot better and just want to thank everyone at pokerstrategy, the community is awsome and it helped me improve a lot...
    • DDarths
      DDarths
      Gold
      Good luck !
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Nice spurt with the limits. Got a nice upswing? :P Watch out also for the downswing which is very likely to come and don't be sad about moving down which is just part of poker.
    • PickoCro
      PickoCro
      Platinum
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.

NL100 4bet or flat AA pre?

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

Is it posible to fold a set here? nl20 sh 44

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (7-handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6 , 7
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3 , 3 , T (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) J (3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

I think an argument could be made for either calling or raising here... If we raise, i don t see a lot of worse hands that can call us here (something like a3, 23, 34 would call maybe even adx, 10j), and if we get shoved on we can t fold so if they happen to have jj, or 1010 (which i think is unlikely), or a higher flush we d put our money in drawing dead... If we d call then we avoid being shoved on but let our opponents catch a free card (any diamond, 3, j, 10 would ruin our hand)... Personally i wouldn t even get myself into this situation because i d c-bet the flop (which is a very good flop to c-bet) so i d have more information about the opponents hands, but as played i d probably raise and cry-call a push, the blinds really could have anything... It s kind of a though spot, really looking forward to see the coaches opinion...

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (8-handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($8)
      MP ($10)
      MP2 ($9)
      MP3 ($6)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10) (25/21/3.8/26/1250) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J , J
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU 3-bets to $1.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($2.75) 6 , 9 , T (2 players)
      Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

Check-call and reevaluate the turn... Check-folding here would be really bad, and check-raising doesn t make much sense since we would only get called by better hands... Judging by villain s stats he s a pretty aggressive player, so by just calling we allow him to keep bluffing ott, and keep the pot small if he happens to have a hand...
    • PickoCro
      PickoCro
      Platinum
      Originally posted by veriz
      Got a nice upswing? :P

Actually not really... Until i started playing NL100 i was running okay/good (whenever i m ahead i hold up, whenever i m behind i loose, when we re racing i win about half the time)...

Since i started playing NL100 i ve been running pretty bad... I get coolered and sucked out on like all the time, villains have the absoulute top of their range against my good hands, and my flipping isn t what it used to be anymore :( ...

But despite all that i m still managing to be a winning player at the limit (although 18000 hands aint much of a samplesize) so i guess i can t complain :f_cool: ...