[NL2-NL10] nl5 - should I have played this differently?

• pea1984
      pea1984
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $5
      MP3:
      $5.95

0.03/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with J:diamond: , J:club:
      Hero raises to $0.22, 2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.74, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.52.

Flop: ($1.56) Q:spade: , J:spade: , 3:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.56, MP3 raises to $5.21 (All-In), Hero calls $2.70 (All-In), MP3 gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Turn: ($10.08) 2:spade:
      River: ($10.08) 5:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $10.08

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Jd Jc)
      MP3 shows three-of-a-kind, queens (Qh Qd)

MP3 wins with three-of-a-kind, queens (Qh Qd)

First question is, should I fold preflop. I believe this player to be tight and iv seen him only call with AK more than once so I dont think he's raising me with that hand.
      By calling im really only playing to hit a set, and I believe by the call 20 rule we are not deep stacked enough for me to do this?

Secondly, on the flop. Im' not worried about a flush here as like I said, I don't believe this guy is playing AKs, or any worse suited cards. I bet the pot and he thinks for a while before raising all in. Now my question is, the only hand I think he can have which is beating me is QQ which he will shove with but would he also do this with AA/KK?
      Should I just put him on QQ and fold here, or do I call because of the times he would have AA/KK?
  • 3 replies
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      I think with enough time to think about it you could fold the flop. A lot of it is down to how the other guy views you. What would you call his preflop reraise with JJ QQ or AK. So if you know what he knows you are calling with then the only thing he is beating is AKo. The fact that you bet pot size into it to protect from the flush tells him you don't have the flush.

I would still have played it the same way as you though. Only with time to look at it properly could I make a fold
    • pea1984
      pea1984
      Bronze
      Yeah, the timing thing is something I sometimes struggle with. I was playing 2 tables and by the time I made my decision on the other table I didn't have long to react here.
      I usually would fold here preflop if I'm being honest, I was slightly on tilt after loosing 2 hands just a little earlier, one set over set, then I had AA beat by a guy who went all in with K2 and made 2 pair.
      With more time to think about it, even if he had AA/KK he could have had a spade to draw for the flush against my set anyway decreasing the value of my hand, like you say with more time to think I should be able to find a fold here. Oh well, we live and learn.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello pea1984,

Fold it preflop vs 4 PFR, I don't really see how we can be ahead here.

As played I don't really understand why do you donk it? Rather let him CBet and then Check/Raise it and get it in.

Best Regards.