1st Pro Call in young poker career.

• ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      Heres the hand and my thoughts on each street. This is about as close to pro as I've ever felt making reads. This was in the 770 poker $30 dollar freeroll. But it's not about the money here, its about playing optimal poker, and this is about as optimal as it gets ...... i think?? lol

Blinds 15/30
      important stack sizes to begin the hand:
      Myself: 1520
      Referee119: 3510

I had no real knowledge of this player, in the hand so I had to go with position and estimation. I got it perfectly.

My hand: Kh 8h in MP1.
      Referree119: 5d 8d in UTG2
      UTG1 raises to 60
      UTG2 calls
      UTG3 folds
      MP1 calls
      MP2 folds
      MP3 folds
      CO folds
      D folds
      SB calls
      BB calls

Flop comes Qs 7d Jd

everyone checks to me, i sense weakness, and choose to represent the queens. but to do this i will have to bet the pot because strong draws are possible and it's also possible if i bet less people will call with jacks. i figure someone would bet queens if they had them here and will not slowplay any monster because of all the players in pot and the chance of straights and flushes on turn and river. everyone folds to UTG2, who raises me all in. I think to myself, if hes not on a draw and everyone checked to him why would he check the flop with a monster? i figure it is pure bluff, which i can beat as long as he has sweet nothing like i guessed low draw bluff or something if anything. I knew one thing was a surety..he had no pair. i was 100% sure he bets this flop is he has a made hand. i call and he flips over his low flush draw..to make it better i hold the 8. leaving him to just a few outs and i only made the call with king high. I win and double up to over 3000 chips. any thoughts? i think this read was amazing. and i was not in the least on tilt when i played the hand.
  • 18 replies
    • Doubleup12
      Doubleup12
      Bronze
      lol, it is just a freeroll. people go allin with absolutely anything i would hardly call it a pro read.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      well i just felt comfortable with the call..i know its just a freeroll but i was surprised with my ability to sniff out BullS**t when just a few months ago i wouldve folded like a cheap suit without 2 thoughts.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      fold pre, as played c/f flop
    • sp00nman
      sp00nman
      Bronze
      Originally posted by chenny8888
      fold pre, as played c/f flop
      +100
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      yeah, that would certainly be the case for 99% of my other hands where i flop nothing and its early in the tourney. I guess thats the winning play more often isnt it?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello ilovemagic,

Well, wouldn't say a hero Call. :D But rather flippy Call at the best. And it's far away from pro call. :) In future try really to avoid such Calls, you ain't gonna be ahead in normal tourneys like this.

For your understanding how its' a flip:

Board: Q:spade: 7:diamond: J:diamond:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    52.12%  52.12%   0.00% { Kh8h }
      UTG+1  47.88%  47.88%   0.00% { 8d5d }

Best Regards.
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      Great call! Keep it up. Whats you sn btw?
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Bronze
      We should play some time
    • ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      Nice one! I sense u had a feeling;. Otherwise u already heard how to play it.
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      i guess yu made the right read but my question is what were yu doing in the pot in the first place, fold pre
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      Well done dude, if you felt comfortable with what you did in a FREEROLL then cool, it is good to experiment sometimes. Just remember solid play as you stated, you are new to poker so it is expected to not be a pro like some here think you become over night.

;)
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      You should post it to bbv on 2+2, i'd really love to see the answers.
    • L3ST
      L3ST
      Bronze
      Wow, you managed to get a flip. :s_cool:
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      thank you for all the reply's everyone! there was some mixed answers. I did'nt expect that much feedback. What i got out of the feedback was- dont play pots with K 8 early in a tourney, dont put all ur chips in with a coinflip unless you absolutely have to, and go with your reads if your very confident in the read, despite what others might think sometimes...not all the time...but sometimes you just get that read and use it to get that edge.
    • Bunn3yB0y
      Bunn3yB0y
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ilovemagic
      well i just felt comfortable with the call..i know its just a freeroll but i was surprised with my ability to sniff out BullS**t when just a few months ago i wouldve folded like a cheap suit without 2 thoughts.
      I smell some bullshizzle coming from this thread!
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ilovemagic
      yeah, that would certainly be the case for 99% of my other hands where i flop nothing and its early in the tourney. I guess thats the winning play more often isnt it?
      and it's the right play here too
    • Heave112
      Heave112
      Bronze
      snap fold pre, c/f flop, terrible player idd go read some articles
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Bronze
      Jeez, give the guy a break.
      Its posting these types of hands and the thought process behind your decisions that improve you as a player.
      First of all, as most people have said, this is really an insta fold, even without the pre raise.
      Once you call here, you are only ever continuing with 2 pairs min or the flush draw maybe.
      Yes you made a read and it was the right one, ie villain had a low flush draw but the reality is that there are a number of made strong hands he could make this play with.
      Even with your read, you are at the very best, flipping here with the call, no matter what cards villain has. If you ignore the fact that its a freeroll and so you are trying to play "optimum poker", why would you flip, its just not necessary.