Come Together With Your Hands

• sp00nman
      sp00nman
      Bronze

Hey All!

After a long time of thinking about it, I have now created my own poker blog.

My name is Kyle and I have been a pokerstrategist since 2009. I started out playing 9-man SNGs and moved up to be a winning player until 5.50s. I then switched to FR cash games from NL5 to NL10. Back then, the games were a lot softer(I think) and winning was easy. I considered myself as a decent player with a solid fundamental grasp of the game. I played about 2 hours everyday 6-tabling NL10. I was about to move up to NL25 when I decided to cash out thinking that rebuilding my roll was easy and if I had done it before, I definitely could do it again.

So I withdrew and left $50 in my account.

Grew it up to about ~$700 in no time and withdrew again.

This rebuild --> Withdraw --> rebuild loop went on and on. It was easy, it was fun and sure enough rewarding for a hobbyist like me. I did this for about a year and after my most recent cashout(late 2010), I kinda stepped away from poker as I was busy with my job and had no time for it.

The horror started...

Black Friday.

After a recent cashout, I tried grinding some profit in FR NL2, 12-tabling it until I had $100. After about a week, I moved up to NL5 and had some downswing. I tried SNGs again, the $1.50s, and built my roll up to about $160. After almost 1000 games, I thought my ROI isnt exactly what I wanted it to be. So I switched to SH NL5 with a roll of $175 and that's when I started questioning myself and my game.

SH NL5 crushed me hard.

First mistake that I made = I played too many tables without some experience in SH. My game was in autopilot most of the time and I certainly were missing out some EV spots. I was crushing the first 15k hands so from 9-tabling I added 3 more tables. The next 30k hands was in complete reverse. I realized I wasnt as good as I thought I was.

My roll was cut in half and was forced to use my RB to refill it back up.

With a BR of $175, I decided not to play SH anymore as it might not be the game for me.

One day, I was browsing through some articles in the site and had an idea of playing MSS.

I tried 9-tabling MSS in FR NL5, and again, the first ~10k hands, I was crushing it. So I added more and more before I realized that I was 20-tabling. Again, I was in autopilot and was really playing badly. I learned a valuable lesson and I certainly paid my tuition. MSS is not for me, IMO, it is not a winning strategy. NL5 is really getting the worse of me.

Again, my roll was cut to more than half. I tilted and tried to recover some of the losses and I found myself having a BR of about $47.

"Boy, do I really suck".

It is what I usually tell myself. I used to crush these stakes before but it seems like everyone in micro knows some stuff now. It might have been an after-effect of Black Friday. The live ones are really hard to find now. :f_frown:

But I never gave up. When I started playing poker, I told myself that I will never quit until I bust my free $50 capital. And I will be true to my word. I will never quit poker until I get busto. And never will I make a deposit and be a fish :f_mad:

I went back to my fundamentals and started to confront what I have been denying all along. That I have leaks and I should fix them. This is when I started analyzing my game. I started watching videos, reading materials, browsing forums, reviewing my sessions. I also started cutting down tables. I found it to be more enjoyable and engaging.

My journey begins...

I am currently grinding SH NL2(4-tabling, yes!), and i find it very interesting. I am discovering my leaks and boy they are a lot! Currently I am doing OK. I'll be using a 30 BI rule and 5 BI shot to the next. I currently have about $79 in my account and I need $6 more to take a shot at NL5 and move back down if I get to $60. Here is my graph so far:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Stats:

My database got corrupted and I am missing about 5k hands or so with about ~$10 in profit. So far, NL2 has been very easy and I am eager to get back to NL5 to teach those nit bitches some lessons. LOL.

Thank you for having the patience of reading my long post. Like poker, your patience is greatly rewarded...

See yah all!
  • 10 replies
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      Will be following this one, thread savers have me hooked already!
      Will you be using same BRM as you move to higher limits?
    • sp00nman
      sp00nman
      Bronze
      Hello dannywratten.

I am not sure about BRM. What do you suggest? I dont wanna stay in NL2 for long. I am excited to be back at NL5 to test my newly learned skills. LOL. If the results are ok then I'll be following the same BRM. I think it doesn't matter what BRM to use as I know I have the discipline to move back down easily. Plan is to take a 5 BI shot at NL10 if i get my BR to $200.

I have this revenge-ful motivation to get back at NL5. Makes me angry inside thinking how those nits crushed me. But I am currently at a BE stretch my last 4k hands or so. :f_eek:

PS. Do you have a blog too?
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      Hi, im am not suggesting a BRM to follow just interested to know what you are using. Because im playing NL10, hoping to take some NL25 shots soon but dont want to get too aggresive.. No blog for me just yet i dont really have the time. Ill add you on skype if you want?
    • sp00nman
      sp00nman
      Bronze
      Well my plan is to have 30 BIs for the current limit and take shots at the next limit as soon as I grind 5 BIs for that. Maybe for NL10 I would need $425 to take shots at NL25 and move back down if I drop back to $300. I don't know, it depends on the skill level and my own comfort level too. I would probably increase it to 40-50 BIs for NL25 above. Or stick to 30 BIs and increasing my BI shots to 10 instead of 5.

My current BRM road map:

$85 > NL5 ; move back down if BR dropped to $60
      $200> NL10 ; move back down if BR dropped to $150
      $550($300 + $250)> NL25 ; move back down if BR dropped to $300

You can skype me up kyle.adriano1
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      Ok cool ill add you next time im on
    • sp00nman
      sp00nman
      Bronze
      OK.

After playing a short session today I was able to build my roll to $85.72. I lost three stacks but was still up 3 BIs in the end. My first hand for the session was terrible. I joined a table with just 1 player waiting. I dont have history on him and as soon as we were dealt cards he insta-raised. I was looking down on KTo and 3bet him and he clicked it back to me. I called and comes flop J97 rainbow. There was no way I was going to let go of this flop so I CRAI and he snapped and flipped over KK. Turn and River bricked, so... nh. :f_cry:

I will be taking a short break and be back playing at NL5!

Current BR: $85.72
    • sp00nman
      sp00nman
      Bronze
      My internet keeps dying on me, and its super slow. Damn, I can't play. I decided to wait it out before I would play. So stay put.

What's all this fuzz about durrr doll? Was there any "real" material to it? I mean, him applying as a coach or something here in PS?
    • sp00nman
      sp00nman
      Bronze
      So I just reset my router and my internet worked fine. :f_biggrin:

I played my first NL5 session and it went a little awry :f_mad:

I got into some flips and lost some stacks. My bluffs are working well against regs but I keep getting coolered by the fish :f_cry:

Overall, I'm happy with how I played its just that the results did not go too well for me. But that's ok. I'm taking a little break and decide if I should be back for more NL5.

Later.

LOL at my blue line. Those sharp drops are a result of those coolers when I had 2nd nuts and the fish always rivered the nuts.
    • sp00nman
      sp00nman
      Bronze
      I tried to play another session, and after about 27 hands I lost 2 BIs. My aces got cracked by 44 and the next hand I was dealt JJ when I flopped top set, villain hit his Q high flush on the river. So fucking sick.

I am down 4 BIs on NL5 today. What fucking day
    • sp00nman
      sp00nman
      Bronze
      I decided to move away from NLH and give PLO a try. I played some sessions yesterday and it has been a rollercoaster ride. At one point I was down 3 BIs and I ended up 1.5BI. I am enjoying it and learning a lot from my fishy mistakes.

I'd probably stick to PLO 6 max in the meantime.