From NL2 to...probably more NL2

• cuzant
      About Me

Hey i'm Liam and i am 18 years old, currently in the first year of studying medicine at university in England, which is the one big constrain on my time which might stop me playing as much poker as i would like.

I first played poker when i was around 13 and recently picked it up again using the starting capital from the site on party poker and so far I've made about $7 with that money playing the NL2 full ring games. I thought i was a decent player when younger but seeing as I had completely forgotten how i used to play I have been using the materials as a very good starting point for picking everything up again and re-learning the game.

I used to play a fair amount of chess and i did very well at mathematics so hopefully i posses the skills to be a good poker player somewhere, other than that I play a bit of basketball and do some cycling also (usually to lead up to a 150 mile charity ride every year)

Short term:

:spade: Make enough to move up to NL4 by christmas
      :spade: Clear the $50 starting bonus
      :spade: Read through the bronze articles
      :spade: Post up some hands for analysis
      :spade: Learn to stop playing when I'm being distracted by a phone conversation or the like

Long Term

:spade: Dont fall behind on work for any reason
      :spade: Enjoy the first year of univeristy (currently ill and have an eye infection so can't go out :( )
      :spade: Make Silver status and maybe eventually gold
      :spade: Play and win some SnGs and/or MTTs
      :spade: Try and update this blog a few times a week

This is my graph for the last week or so (moving hasn't left me time to play). There should be another 600 hands but I have switched the computer that I am playing on.

Uploaded with

Thanks for reading if you got this far and please comment
  • 5 replies
    • darkprice
      Hey cuzant, nice blog!

Have you seen any of the videos we got yet or are you just reading the articles? This summer we had a NL Beginners Course with veriz that you can find here. Could be something to compliment your reading with :)

Also you could attend some live coaching sessions. You can find the schedule here!

I hope you do well at the table and that you will study hard ;)

Me :D
    • cuzant
      Hey Darkprice,

Thanks. I'm mainly reading articles just because i don't have the time that often for watching an hour long video but i'll try and make my way through them slowly.

On a more blog-like note i had to carry all of my books for the semester back from the university bookshop today, ouch!

Uploaded with

About to hit the tables for a while, will post up results and/or interesting hands later
    • cuzant
      Well just played a very short 50 hand session but everything went my way and I made 128BBs. Only lost one time when i VPIP so very happy with it. I also got very lucky as I hit 2 backdoor flush draws, but this was helped by the fact i was allowed to see the river for either very cheap or free on both occasions.

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.105 by

Preflop: Hero is CO with A :diamond: , Q :diamond:
      4 folds, MP3 raises to $0.08, Hero calls $0.08, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0.19) A :club: , 9 :club: , 7 :heart: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.14, Hero calls $0.14.

Turn: ($0.47) 8 :spade: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.33, Hero raises to $1.08, MP3 raises to $1.78 (All-In), Hero calls $0.70.

River: ($4.03) 2 :spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.03

Personally i'm not sure i played this hand too well. The villain VP$IP 20 percent of the time and raised pre-flop with 9% of the time so his range was quite narrow and pocket nines or an AK are easily possible (A9 less so), as well as AJ, AT which i would beat, he could have also been playing pocket kings but i think he would have folded the river to the raise if he had.

Maybe it was just one of the hands where i had a feeling I had him beat, or the timing of his bets told me something (can't remember that now)

Thoughts anyone?

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP3 shows (As Jc)
      Hero shows a pair of aces (Ad Qd)

Hero wins with a pair of aces (Ad Qd)
    • cuzant
      Didn't get the chance to play today as my only free time is now and I've got an 8.30 lecture tomorrow so I am off to bed. Hopefully I'll get the opportunity to put in a few hundred hands tomorrow if nothing else to do comes up.
    • cuzant
      Hello to anyone who actually reads this :)

Haven't posted in a while because i've been quite busy. First thing of note is that I have deposited $50 and moved up to NL4, mainly because i feel like i was beating NL2 but i didn't have the time to make the money and rake i need from it to clear my starting capital. I'm finding the game much the same apart from at party it's very difficult to find a good full ring NL4 game.

Had a bit of a shaky session today, first one in a while where i've lost money, partly through bad luck and partly bad play; the main example of this was my set meeting a flush and even though i knew the guy had a flush i called him which i obviously need to cut out. Thankfully my luck turned around on my last hand at that table and my pocket 2s got doubled up against a top pair so swings and roundabouts.

Currently playing a $50 freeroll and found a NL4 table with a pretty big fish on (playing 50/19).

Graph below is all my hands on party (on this computer, around the same amount on my home PC which i don't have with me i think)

Uploaded with