[NL2-NL10] nl5 - Top pair

• Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Villian had been very willing to get his chips in his middle with any decent pair, and not willing to fold much.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $6.08
      Hero:
      $5.05

0.03/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with K:diamond: , 8:heart:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.18, SB calls $0.15, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.41) K:heart: , 4:heart: , 3:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.41, Hero raises to $1.06, SB calls $0.65.

Turn: ($2.53) J:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($2.53) J:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $2.53, Hero calls $2.53.

Final Pot: $7.59

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two-pair, kings and jacks (Kd 8h)
      SB shows (6d 6c)

Hero wins with two-pair, kings and jacks (Kd 8h)
  • 8 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Philfox1985,

What's the idea behind the raise on flop? I mean his pot size bet is kinda strong. Rather just Call and reevaluate further streets and keep weaker holdings in the hand and also bluffs. Although even if you raise then why do you min-raise? I mean you are giving good odds for any draw. Make it normal raise. :)

But as played the river is kinda cruel, FD completed/FH might be even possible. We only beat there bluffs and that's pretty much it.

Best Regards.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      I had just watched him call a shove with A8 (top pair) vs A7 on the flop.

Figured he wasn't folding pretty much any pair so I was raising flop for value.

Turn card I pretty much hated as FD could have hit. Would have folded to a bet here.

Didn't actually mind river at all, was pretty sure it was a blank.

Does this make the play any better, or is it justification for a questionable play?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Does this make the play any better, or is it justification for a questionable play?

Well, it still doesn't change the case that he is playing the TP type of hands the same way. Although what kind of Kx hands do you beat while your kicker ain't that strong either.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Not many kx at all really, especially when you discount K3/k4 which make little sense given his line.

Looks like I got a little carried away with the thought he is a massive station (showing 66 he really was). Wanted to commit with a strong top pair hand against him as I felt he would pay me with worse, but could have been a little more patient.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well, what I want to come to conclusion is. That of course I could take a look at the result and say oh yeah, very good Call. :D Snap-Call. But is it really?

a) His bet size is towards the nuts only
      b) He wouldn't bet Kx this way
      c) You only beat bluff
      d) FD did complete so not that many missed draws possible, only SD

So for conclusion I might be still tend to make a hero-fold than hero-call for the given reason c).
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      For me it was close, but a felt I had to call as his line make no sense to me.

If he had a flush he would have bet the turn, and if he had a FH he must have had a set on the flop. Given his play to date I can't believe he wouldn't have shoved me directly on the flop if he had hit a set.

Only hand I see cropping up is jx.

Considering I usually fold to these type of bets on the river if I can see what a villian could be representing, it felt more like a hero-call for me :P
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well why not. But trust me, those players really slowplay their sets till river. :D It's just so amazing when you sometimes see even after Check Flop/Check Turn they come up with set on river and even on drawy board.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      I believe you, have seen it a few times at showdown myself, usually a nasty surprise.