Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $5.03
      MP3:
      $2.11

0.03/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:heart: , 8:club:
      MP3 calls $0.05, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.02, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.15) J:heart: , 7:club: , 4:heart: (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: ($0.15) 8:diamond: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.14, BB folds, MP3 calls $0.14.

River: ($0.43) 7:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.26, MP3 raises to $0.52, Hero folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.95
  • 6 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Philfox1985,

Well, I'd rather Check it on river, I doubt that there is a lot worse hands which may pay you. Only 4x/some smaller PPs and that's it. While 7x could even be possible and in his range. Sometimes it's safer to skip the thin value.

Best Regards.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Thanks for this, tend to agree with your analysis.

I have a related question based on a scenario I encounter fairly often, and can be illustrated by an example:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $5.89
      BU:
      $5.51

0.03/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7:spade: , 7:diamond:
      2 folds, BU raises to $0.20, SB folds, Hero calls $0.15.

Flop: ($0.43) T:heart: , 8:diamond: , 2:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.29, BU calls $0.29.

Turn: ($1.01) 6:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.75, Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.01

I know you will say this should get its own seperate thread etc, but I'm less interested in this hand, more on the situation & how we should play it.

We have 2nd/3rd pair OOP on turn & have been called by villian on flop. What lines can we now consider, typically I go c/f as above, but I feel it does leave me open to a lot of floats where I am actually ahead.

Any advice / articles you can suggest that help with this.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well, there are of course couple of options. While the opponent even seems to be reasonable then he might sometimes even fold some kind of 66/55/44 or whatsoever maybe even 8x hand to your 2nd barrel than we turn our hand into bluff catcher. Plus we as well can get value from any kind of draws and our plan is to bet it for free showdown.

Although now the question is if it's worth to 2nd barrel anytime? We can't put always the opponent on draw and we can't be sure if he is even folding any 8x/99/Tx here. For that reason your play is totally fine. Although if you have the reason to think that his floating/calling range is very wide then you can as well 2nd barrel it.

Although about articles well I can't really advice much, since the stuff you are asking is more advanced stuff which becomes available from Gold+ articles and videos. :f_cry:
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      I'll just have to be patient then I guess.

Will probably make gold status this month as I have now moved to nl5 & have more time to play (sat an exam last month & spent most of my time studying).

Feel like my game may be ready for even higher limits, but I'm pretty strict with my BRM and not depositing money myself, so its a bit of a slow grind to get to the number of buy-ins for the next level.

Took me 9,000 hands at NL2 to gain around 19 BI's and just about get enough chips together to have the Bankroll for NL5 ($120 now, moved a touch early).
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Will probably make gold status this month as I have now moved to nl5 & have more time to play (sat an exam last month & spent most of my time studying).

Well, depends on the amount you play. But for every day you play you get like 10 points. :P So playing for 30 days = 300 points and the extra points you gain from the site you obviously can get it.

Feel like my game may be ready for even higher limits, but I'm pretty strict with my BRM and not depositing money myself, so its a bit of a slow grind to get to the number of buy-ins for the next level.

Well your approach is totally fine. Rather fix your leaks on smaller stakes and have it much easier to win money on higher limits and not loose with simple mistakes. You are doing really great job by the way with the posts. I remember when you started posting and taking a look at the hands you play now, HUGE DIFFERENCE! You are much better than you used to be. Keep going and I am pretty sure you will do fine. Also about the BRM I'd say that rather use nitty BRM than too loose. Even 25BIs is pretty aggressive I would say, on higher limits you definitely have to change it. When I started myself with poker I was pretty much the same, I didn't deposit any cents, just build up my roll from the $50. :> Was worth the hard work and much time I did invest and obviously even nowadays I do invest a lot of time into poker, as you may see yourself. :)
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Thanks for the positive feedback its nice to hear my play is improving, doesn't always match my graph, but that is up to the poker gods :P

Considering the number of hands I have posted its largely down to your feedback, you are like my personal coach and I really appriciate you finding the time to help me slowly identify & fix my leaks.

As for the number of BI's, I got bored of waiting to play NL5 and was winning consistently enough to feel I should be fine to cope with a more aggressive bankroll strategy. I appriciate that we need more BI's when we have a smaller edge, all to do with the normal distribution or returns, which I know far too much about (could do the BI calcs myself from scratch which is a bit of a rarity :P )