ego

• SRBSavic1
      SRBSavic1
      Bronze
      i play 1.5$ 45men SNGs for a week since i deposited 20$ and now i have 110$
      but always when i win some money my ego goes skywards and bankroll the other way around...
      I realize that this is a problem but i don't know how to solve it!
  • 13 replies
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      :D

nice one SRBSavic1!

i will move your thread to self-study and managment where i think it belongs.

smiles,
      wendy
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      Here is how to solve it, stop believing you are invincible after winning :f_biggrin:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      I've suffered the same thing many times in the past.

Especially when I start off new at something!

I really hope someone can help out in this thread cos I believe it could prove invaluable to many members :)

Gary
    • AleksandarPPA
      AleksandarPPA
      Bronze
      jednostavno je ... odes uzivo odigrati 10 kesh games i 10 turnira i shvatis da kako god da odigrao jednostavno nemozes pobediti nekad i nije sve u umecu i sreca je faktor tako da ili postuj bankroll menadzment za tebe bi vazilo konzervativni tipa 2% bankrolla jer ocigledno tiltujes ko mnogi ... poz
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Hi SRBSavic1

you are on your way. the first step is to realise that you tilt (ie dont play your a game any more) and then is finding way to remedy to that tilt.

have a look at this thread as it is really full of goodies on the mental aspect of poker:

+++Q&A with Jared Tendler!!+++

regards

Thazar
    • DonBartos
      DonBartos
      Platinum
      Hi,

I think this is a problem many poker players suffer from. I've had the problem myself aswell. Once I played 1000 games or something and had a ROI that was higher than any other regular I'd think I was Phil Ivey himself. But then after the variance hits and you'll get the same ROI as other regulars or something you realize it was all just a dream and you just ran hotter than a Swedish female fieldhockey team.

The best you can do the avoid this big ego is to either work on the ego itself, or just ignore it. If you want to work on your ego you should:

- Study your game vs the game of other regs (if some good reg has 20% ROI and you have 25% but you cant see why you're better than him, it's probably just variance)
      - Let some coach(es) or very good players look at your game. Especially players who have played many, many games can probably tell you if your ROI is just a hotrun, or you actually are the very best damn player there is.

If you choose to ignore your ego, you can try to:

- Not look so much at your ROI unless it's after a very, very good sample
      - Just go ahead and grind, keep your BRM, and just don't look so much at your stats at all. It can be a good motivation to look at your stats when they increase. But especially in MT-SNGs you have to grind so many games to get a good idea of how good you actually are, that it's simply not worth it.

Besides that you should always keep looking for (small) leaks to remove and edges to take. Even the best players of the world make mistakes. So don't be a dreamer and just keep working on your game. Especially on the micro stakes you're probably not yet the new mister Ivey. And just keep your BRM. There's no need to take shots at higher stakes if you don't have the BR for it. Also, variance can be a bitch in those 45man SNGs. And if you realize you have this problem, why would you push variance then? :)

What Bankroll Management are you currently using?
    • SRBSavic1
      SRBSavic1
      Bronze
      Thank you very much guys!
      when i made the thread i wasn't expecting such a solid answer like DonBartos made (ty man). As for the "What Bankroll Management are you currently using? " i don't quite understand the question but i'll try to answer it...
      I play 45 men SNGs with 1.5$ BI currently i have 100$ i will slowly start to move up the limits as soon as i make 150$.
      You where right about the stats making me tilt, cause before when i always win some money i look at my ROI and and admire my graph, now i just look at the stats at the end of the day or at the and of a session so when i play i just think about playing solid poker.

I also don't know what "why would you push variance then?" means.

And how do i get some coaches to look at my game, i don't know any good players i learned myself to play poker.

I tried to make my post nearly as long as yours and did the spelling checks so you can see how much I appreciate your answer, i am a man of few words so this was hard for me :rolleyes:
    • DonBartos
      DonBartos
      Platinum
      Hi, you're welcome sir.
      I don't post so much in this community, so when I do I'll try to put some information in it.

I asked your Bankroll Management to check if it's OK to have this Bankroll management, or if you should change it.

If I've understand it correctly, you have $100 now and you are playing the $1.50 45-Man SNGs and you will go to the $3.50 games when you have $150 Bankroll. This is an okay bankroll management, but especially if you tend to go on tilt easily you might want a tighter one. But if you're able to controll yourself and go to lower stakes when things aren't going as great as you want them to go, it will be allright.

I think it's really important to only check the results/graphs/stats at the end of the day/session. So you're doing that good. Allthough it is personal, and some players prefer to look at it constantly, I always suggest my students (the players who receive my private coaching and the players on the Dutch community who watch my coachings and videos) to just look at them at the end of the day, so your play won't be any worse because you see that you're running bad. I also just look at my stats at the end of the day. I don't play any worse if I know that I've been running bad, but it's very demotivating to grind for hours and then see you're breakeven or even dropped some money.

With "pushing the variance" I mean that if you are taking shots at higher stakes you will increase your variance. So, let's say you have $100 and you play $1. Let's say you can drop 20BI in a day. Then you can drop $20 in a day, but if you go up to $2 games, this will be $40. Taking shots is fine in poker, but if you tend to go on tilt if you lose a lot, it might not be the ideal idea for you. You're probably better of just staying at your current stake a little longer. When you run bad on higher games, it's very demotivating and tilting. And when you're on tilt, it's very hard to move back to lower stakes again.

To be honest, I don't really know how things go in this community. You have the option to join some coaching sessions, but I'm not sure how the coachings go. If I got it right, here are the coachings for SNG/MTT:

Monday - The Nose - 18:30-20:00 - SNG Advanced - Silver
      Tuesday - Unam - 22:30/00:00 - SNG Expert - Gold
      Wednesday - RoyalHope - 18:00-19:30 - Fifty-fifties Advanced - Silver
      Thursday - Unam - 20:30/22:00 - SNG Advanced - Silver
      Sunday - Chenny888 - 12:00-13:30 - SNG Beginner - Basic

So, there are some coaches who will be able to help you. I'm not sure what they coach except RoyalHope who coaches 50-50 SNGs, and he probably won't be able to help you too much with your 45-man game.

Also, I don't know if they play live, or do review sessions in their coachings. For the Dutch Community I do a weekly coaching on monday where I do reviews of handhistories the players from the community send me. So, I give the community the chance to receive free reviews of their games. This would be a good idea for you, but I assume your Dutch isn't that great. :s_biggrin:

You could join one of the coachings on the English community and see what they do. You are always free to ask questions, so just ask them if there is a possibility to review you 45-man game.

I guess this post is even longer than the previous one, so I'm sorry about that :s_love:
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Not only awesome content produced with great effort and insight, but also; '...hotter than a Swedish field hockey team...' Just class! :f_love: :f_biggrin:
    • DonBartos
      DonBartos
      Platinum
      Thanks, gadget, kind words. :f_love:
    • activee
      activee
      Bronze
      I think it's a problem for every winning player at first. Then variance will get this feeling down.

I don't know since when you play. But I'd say with the time you will realise and situate your level more accuratly.

Also when I play lower limit. My ego goes to skyward like you It's really a problem for me there then I have a huge tendency to tilt there.

Well in the end my opinion is that's it's hard to manage but as soon as you know it you can work on it.

If anyone has the same prob than me for lower limits
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Used to happen to me before, Id win 50$ one night and be like omg fuck school ima be a poker player. Thankgod downswings let me keep my ego in place loll
    • SRBSavic1
      SRBSavic1
      Bronze
      i've sorted this this problem sorta, after every winning session i say to myself that i'm a stupid piece of shit on a heater and i truly try to believe it.
      hahahahaha!